1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear diff lock VSV

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Titchy83, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Titchy83

Titchy83 New Member

Hi. I recently purchased a 97 hijet. Was working on it last night and discovered it has a locking rear diff. Sweet surprise! Just wondering if anyone has tried any easily available vacuum switching valves instead of daihatsu parts to actuate their diff lock? The truck doesn' have the switch in the cab or the VSV or the lines. Maybe someone switched out the rear end at some point. I read through other posts and someone mentioned "dormanVSV #911-605" has anyone tried using one of those valves? Any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. Squeaks-leaks

Squeaks-leaks Member

I haven't used a universal vacuum switching valve for my rear diff, but I did end up using one for the idle up actuator on the carb and it works fine. The only thing is the universal unit isn't going to plug into the factory harness, although that sounds like it wont bother you anyway because it looks like that wiring is missing anyways.

Does your truck have the old vacuum switching valve present or are you working from scratch?

3. Titchy83

Titchy83 New Member

There's no parts for the diff lock so im starting from scratch. Just never messed with vsvs before so wasnt sure.

4. Titchy83

Titchy83 New Member

What did you go with for a universal vsv?

5. Squeaks-leaks

Squeaks-leaks Member

I used the same unit part number that you listed in your first post. The thing is though I am almost positive your going to need to get two of them for your locker to work properly. IE you activate one of the vsv and it applies vacuum to one side of your locker actuator while the other vsv is off and vents to atmosphere (that's why the vsv has three ports). The opposite switching valve venting to atmosphere is important because the locker actuator wont be able to operate if a vacuum is applied to both sides of the diaphram.

Before you buy anything though I would just get a piece of vacuum line and hook it up to each side of the locker actuator individually and use your mouth to apply a vacuum and make sure everything works. This will also give you a good idea of how everything works.

6. Titchy83

Titchy83 New Member

I checked it and it works. And yes i would get 2. I just wasnt sure if you could apply the vaccum input to the reverse port on the vsv. So one is sending vacuum and the other vent when energized and vise versa

7. Squeaks-leaks

Squeaks-leaks Member

Yeah you should be able to hook them up like that. Depending on how the lines are hooked up to those vsvs you can have one that's sending vacuum to the locker actuator and one that is venting to atmosphere when they are both de-energized. Then when they are energized they will both change states. So one will be normally open and one will be normally closed.