1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear Bumper

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Samurai9, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

My 1993 Hijet came with a nice hitch receiver at the back. The receiver has two oval openings for the security chains. Today I went to a steel shop and bought a 54 inch piece of 3x3 3/8 angle iron. The cost was $30 including tax. I then drove to a local machine shop and asked them to drill two 1/2 inch holes in the steel. This should have cost $22 (the minimum charge plus local tax), but Joe gave me a freebie after I told him that the steel was going to be a bumper for a little truck kept out in the county. Turns out Joe lives nearby.

I then picked up some bolts and drove out to the country. My measurements were correct and the bumper is good to go. The location of the steel on the hitch provides proper separation from the body and the 3x3 dimensions seem to fit the truck very well. All I need is some washers to prevent a little movement due to the larger holes in the hitch receiver. Of course I will have to prime and paint the bumper black.

Now that I know that this is so easy and cheap, I may do the same thing to the front. There is a good brush guard up there but it doesn't protect the full width of the truck. The guard has many holes that can be used to attach another piece of angle iron.

Both the hitch receiver and the brush guard are bolted to the frame. The rear bumper, being attached at the middle, rather than at the ends, will not be very strong but should provide some protection when I slowly back into a tree out in the woods.

Sam

2. b_eastep

b_eastep Member

if you have any pics of the front brush guard and how it mounts could you post them please?