1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rear berring????

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by skian, May 27, 2010.

1. skian

skian New Member

On my s83p i am doing the rear axle seals i have everything apart backing plates off and now im looking at the berring and wondering how the hell i get it out? any one help me please. cheers

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

this is from the newer piaggio porter but as far as I can see most of the components in the suspension/steering/body are the same...rear axle removal around page 700..the file may be too big for the forum so send your email and I will send a copy if this doesn't attach

3. skian

skian New Member

i got the passenger rear axle out, but now working on the drivers side it seems the diff lock is holding me up it feels like im hitting another set of planetary gears. how do i get that axle out? do i need to pull the diff lock or turn the diff lock on? anyone with some info would be greatly appreciated:frustration::frustration::frustration:

4. skian

skian New Member

:frustration::frustration:looked for any accsess to the diff lock couldnt find anything tried to turn the diflock on ... nothing. how does the diff lock ingage on the axle? has anyone fooled around with the rear end workings of a s83p? there has to be a simple way becuse im starting to think brute force.:frustration:

5. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

It should be pretty straight forward. I've seen in most cases you need to use a slide hammer. The lock shouldn't make any difference. Good luck!

-Greg

6. skian

skian New Member

does anyone have a technical drawing of how the rear diff and lock and axle go together? fupabox that manual you sent over was helpful but they where never built with the diff lock. when i pull the axle you can feel it slides out of the differential but then it slides out 6 inches and stops on the diff lock when you turn it you can feel there are other gears working, but not the ones in the diff. is there a retainer? or try the slide hammer on the 2nd set of gears? is there and accsess to see whats inside or can that diff lock be taken out? i backed off the 5 bolts holding it on but couldnt find a seam line to break it open. dont know what to do.

7. skian

skian New Member

help me please!!!

8. fupabox

have you tried the parts diagrams on minitruckcentral ?? no part names or anything but all the models and exploded views are there...I had completely forgotten about that site.

9. fupabox

from looking at the diagram it appears the locking rear does possibly need to come off...I have never looked at one to see how it works but there seems to be some geared sleeve on the axle held on with a c clip.....if I was near to you I'd come share the pain with ya:(

10. BigJoel

BigJoel Member

Fupa, I'm going to send you a pm with my e mail. Is it possible for me to get the manual that you sent skian? I'm looking to replace my rear seals and bearings also. Thanks!

11. minitruck.ca

minitruck.ca Member

We stock the seals and rear bearing

12. bob2068

bob2068 New Member

I changed my bearings and seals and the diff lock must come out before you can remove the drivers side axle. there is a gear which is held in place by a c retainers and then the axle will slide through the gear. best to use a sliding hammer to remove the axle and a press to remove the bearing from the axle.

Hope this helps

Bob

13. bob2068

bob2068 New Member

diff lock

I found these 2 pages which i photographed and attached.....hope this helps

Attached Files:

14. BigJoel

BigJoel Member

I don't have diff lock on mine, so that part shouldn't be a problem. I just wanted something that explained the repair before i tear into it. Just to make sure i'm doing things right. Thanks all!

15. bigmo

bigmo New Member

How did you end up getting axel out?