1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rear axle

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by mrxsht, Feb 24, 2023.

1. mrxsht

mrxsht Member

Can a leaf spring suspension be changed into a coil spring suspension without changing the axle?

2. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

You could create a 3 link, 4 link, or 5 link suspension but would be all custom build. Not really all that complicated, but you should understand what all will be involved before you begin such a project. Do some serious research on those systems.

Fred

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
    Limestone likes this.
  3. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly Fred as I couldn't have explained it better.

Limestone

4. mrxsht

mrxsht Member

If I didn't already have two rear axles that are leaf spring. If I could find a new home for them ,then I would just buy a coil spring rear end. I've got one for a s82,659cc ,& a s85,1295cc . With no where to store these parts. I can't keep buying things . Know what I mean. I have someone who wants to help me out on this matter, but I'm not sure if he would or could make the modifications to the axle that's for my engine.
    Now my old transmission had a granny gear,and is half the displacement. The new transmission doesn't have a granny because it was meant for the road. Now would the rear ends have a drastic gear ratio between them? The new rear end is definitely heavier and more stout than the old one.

5. Limestone

Maybe quit whining and drive the Darn thing!!!

Limestone

6. mrxsht

mrxsht Member

Quit whining!?¿
    And you know what? I would love to. It's still in project mode ,and not drivable....... Yet! So go take a flying leap.!

7. Limestone

HAHAHA!
    If it's still in project mode then why are you contemplating Coil Springs possibly replacing the Leaf Springs?
    Most people would get it into Driving Mode and DRIVE it to see what kind of Ride it had before thinking about converting the Springs! IMO!!!
    Maybe your overthinking your project! Idle Hands syndrome.
    We have to Remember that these are little "Mini Trucks".
    Good Luck with your Project.
    Limestone

Tripthyme likes this.
  8. Tripthyme

Tripthyme Active Member Supporting Member