1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radio Removal Question

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Luckydog, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Luckydog

Luckydog Member

Hey,

Do I have to remove the entire dash to get the AM radio out of a 91' Sambar? I have looked and looked at how to get it out and I think I need to rip the whole dash out!!!

Any ideas?

Adam

2. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

No dash removal neccesary.:)
    It's actualy quite easy as are most of the things on a Sambar.
    I have been quite impressed with everything I have looked at on mine seems like the engineers had both oars in the water when they designed it
    but I digress from your question.

If you carefully pry on either side of the radio with a small flat blade screwdriver it will loosen the two upper tabs
    that hold the plastic trim above the radio. I found it easier along the sides as opposed to the top but I wasn't sure
    at that point how it was held together. Once you have the top loose then it just a matter of releasing the lower clips
    on the othe end of the trim - if I remember right it is clipped over the lower piece so gently push in with the trim you
    are trying to remove and push up at the same time and it should come free.

3. Luckydog

Luckydog Member

First step done...

Okay, I got the black plastic cover off, and it was a real bugger but I am now stuck on the actual AM radio. I have removed a few radio's in the past and I have never run into this problem before.... I just can't figure out how to get the radio free. I can't see any clips or anything?!?

Ideas?

4. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

Something's wrong.
    I' am about as inept as they come when it comes to being mechanical with cars, and I had NO trouble removing the radio from our Sambar. First of all, the front face plate "popped" right off. Secondly, the 2 screws (one on each side of the radio) were easily accessible. I used a "trouble" light to check which wires were to the speakers (found on first try) Found "hot" wire at ignition(key on chime") again first try(lucky SOB aren't I) and on and on and on. The whole process only took around 15 minutes. Anyway like I said, somethings wrong. I think you're trying to make this "radio thing" WAY TOO HARD!
    Tmikewww
    (tom)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  5. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

As tom mentioned there are screws holding the radio in place.
    On my '91 there was four screws - two on each side.
    Once screws are gone and unit is loose you can get your hand around back
    and release the two wiring connectors and the antenna connector.

6. Luckydog

Luckydog Member

Yeah, I was over thinking the whole thing... once I got that little black cover off --- it took just minutes to pull that little half AM radio out of there!!!

Thanks for making sure I didn't pull out the whole dash-that would have been stupid

Adam