1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radio option.....

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by MO Acty, Feb 2, 2019.

1. MO Acty

MO Acty New Member

I found this gem on Ebay for less than $33 delivered.
    NOS Honda.
    Part No. 39100-SY8-A00
    Same mounting location/fitment/hardware, plugs, etc. as the original Acty radio.
    Best I can tell? It's a mid-late 90's Acura (and Honda?) application.

Fit perfectly and works fantastic.
    Hardest part of the swap was getting the center "console" portion out of the way. LOL
    My old radio worked fine.......other than the short Japanese FM band.

Attached Files:

2. SMTHOPR

SMTHOPR New Member

1993 Honda Acty SDX So thanks for the reference I ordered the same radio from E-bay (Part No. 39100-SY8-A00). Took about a week to get it was under $35. So you know the stock radio is a little different, The wiring is different plug and mount bracket is different. Stock only has one speaker in the left door. Its not a problem though the hole that it fits in is a standard single din radio. I've got a plug for the new radio and will wire into vehicle wiring. and installing new speakers. So I have a stock AM radio if someone needs one.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
  3. MO Acty

MO Acty New Member

Did Honda make changes for '93?

Are you SURE they sent you the right radio?
    Does it match the face of my radio exactly?
    Reason I ask is the next gen of these radios does indeed have a different plug and mounting.

My '92 was a 100% bolt-in.
    No wiring changes, slid right into the opening and right onto the mounting screws.

4. matt167

matt167 Active Member

Easiest to do with a Honda or Subaru is to use an aftermarket radio and a radio adapter. The adapters can be found since USDM cars used the same connections

5. SMTHOPR

SMTHOPR New Member

MO Acty - I belive yours had probably already been changed. The radio I got is brand new just like yours . The stock radio in my Acty was just an AM radio different than the one you pulled out. The wiring on the truck was set up for one speaker which is in the left door panel. Iv'e got an adapter coming and 4 speakers. So will install them and wire in. The deck fits in the well perfectly. I'll make a mounting bracket, should be easy. The original radio was only about 4 inch deep.

6. MO Acty

MO Acty New Member

SMTHOPR I have to ask...…..was your radio box unopened?
    Did the radio you received have that number on it's label?
    Did the box have the part number on it?
    Would you mind posting a picture or two of what you received?

I'm positively baffled by the confusion that's arisen here folks.

My '92 Acty Town had (see pics below) the original 1992 Honda AM/FM/Cassette Japanese band radio.
    The Acura (Honda) ebay radio matched everything for a zero hassle installation: the rear mounting bracket arrangement using the original screws, the fit in the dash, the original plug (original harness was untouched).
    My truck came with a speaker in each door.

As for putting an aftermarket radio in?
    No real reason with such an easy inexpensive OEM option as the Ebay radio-since it's rear bracket and plug matched everything to a tee.
    No adapter harness (or splicing into the harness....certainly no room behind that dash for THAT sort of wrestling) and no fabbing a rear bracket.

Pics attached of the original.

Attached Files:

7. SMTHOPR

SMTHOPR New Member

OK I see what the difference is your Acty is a Town where mine is a SDX. Your radio is a AM/FM cassett. In the SDX they just put a AM radio. I got the same radio you got from E-Bay New in the box unopened and had the part number. I think the bracket will match up anyway. The SDX is more of a bare bones trim package my seats are even vinyl. Its not a big deal don't be confused. :) I ordered speakers and will put them in. all said and done will be under $100.00. I will post some pics when I get into it.

8. matt167

matt167 Active Member

Acty town did get a nice-er radio setup.

9. SMTHOPR

SMTHOPR New Member

Well hopefully when done mine will be nice as yours.

10. MO Acty

MO Acty New Member

Overall? I'm VERY pleased with the music in that little cab now.

Only thing I wish for is to have the room to install more substantial speakers.
    I installed the nicest Pioneer 4" speaker I could with the clearance dimensions available.
    And yes, they perform WAY better than the old paper cone stockers.
    But there's only so much a wee 4" speaker can do. LOL

I may pursue a larger speaker in the future.
    But doing surgery on the metal inner door structure and plastic panel aren't even a blip on my radar right now.
    The shallow mounting depth limits things a LOT, unless I make some sort of spacer so it protrudes from the door panel.

SMTHOPR, you're in for a treat-going from ONE speaker and AM only.
    Make an already fun truck to drive just that much more enjoyable. :)