1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

radio and parking lights related?

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by matt167, Jun 29, 2017.

1. matt167

matt167 Active Member

I know about the flip flop ground for the radio. That should not be a problem though as my truck has the factory radio in it..

Radio display flashes 12:00 with key off. set it for the time, turn truck on. Radio display goes out, no power.
    Truck off, display flashing 12:00.. Not a big deal. probably a fuse but I can't contort myself into getting at the fuse box and I haven't tried hard enough yet

I don't have any front lights except hazards, turns. The headlights work and the city lights work also.

I have rear license lights and tail lights but only the city lights come on with the parking light setting in the front.. I'll have to add lights if they are not designed to have amber on the front for parking lights.

2. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Does sound like a blown fuse on a shared circuit, you may have to turn into a contortionist to find it.

Fred

3. matt167

matt167 Active Member

I checked fuses and they are good. Checked all the bulbs and they are single filiment. So parking lights on mine must be just the city lights. Radio must be shorted internally. Not a big deal as 9 KHZ AM radio is almost useless in the USA. Works with strong signals but AM is almost useless anyway.

I'm going to run a wire from the license lights to the front in the bumper for parking lights. I'll use LED bullet lights out of the hotrod catalog. Just so I don't get harassed by cops.

4. matt167

matt167 Active Member

Didn't get the bullet lights, I bought 10 amber smoked trailer clearance lights which I will install IN the front bumper at the bottom. Probably 4 per side, and I'll leave 2 extra, or I'll install them on the sides of the bumper.. Doing it that way because, being smoked lenses and otherwise all black, they won't stand out but will light up and be visible at night

5. Arich818

Arich818 New Member

I’m having issues getting my radio to work. I just installed an aftermarkt in my Carry. Radio comes on and more or less displays as if it is playing sound whether Bluetooth or FM, but no sound out of the speakers at all. Stock radio will produce sound though. And I don’t know anything about the flipped ground and can’t find any info on this forum about it. So what do you mean by “flip flopped ground”? As an FYI it is currently wired in as the radio install recommends, ground to ground, hot to hot, acc to acc, and speakers + to +/ - to -.

6. matt167

matt167 Active Member

It's been a couple years since I had my Carry, and as I recall my truck was working properly when I posted this, I just didn't know how the truck functions.. The stock radio was dead internally

The Carry and many other Suzuki's use a ground that flip flops to power depending on the function. The Carry uses several and one of them is in the radio wiring... IIRC the yellow wire is for radio illumination, BUT it switches to ground when the lights are off, so a normal radio will fry the lighting fuse if you wire in the illumination control which most radio's don't really need anymore, but it's caused many blown fuses.. I actually disassembled the stock radio to find the power inputs and tracers on the board to figure it out. When I put in an aftermarket radio, I just used a 4" round speaker in the space under the dash. That's all my truck had space for

7. Arich818

Arich818 New Member

You are a god send! It turned out that the issue I was having was that yellow wire. Even though it had power with the headlights off. I turned them on for kicks and guess what, no power at all! Either way I just quickly attached the constant power to the cigarette lighter power and I officially have sound! So now I will just splice in the power to the constant on the steering column and we have music! Thank you!