1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Radio Alternatives

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by gregw98, Oct 6, 2008.

1. gregw98

gregw98 Member

My stock 91 Daihatsu AM radio drifts off station a lot. So I am looking into a different route to take as in: Upgrade. This is my problem, the stock radio is the smallest I have ever seen and so this limits my alternatives (so far, ZERO) What have you done to get around this problem? Since my Jumbo also has A/C, there is no room for an underdash unit. Not looking for anything fancy, basic AM/FM (USA) would make me happy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

first off, there is no difference between USA AM/FM and international AM/FM. i have used the same tuner in america and in germany and even as far away as iraq. it is not like television that is broad cast diffently where you need a multi system tuner.

secondly, i remember someone saying they cut their new stereo in the dash above the glovebox? you might do a seach on it... but i think that was the common consensus.

3. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

hi i have a 92 mitsu and i put in this am/fm/cd and it bolted into the oem radio mounts, looks great and fits like factory :D

Attached Files:

• 42.JPG
      42.JPG
      File size:
      95.1 KB
      Views:
  4. gregw98

gregw98 Member

Bumping this up. Anyone got one of these laying around? Still looking.
    greg

5. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

I have one out of a 96 subaru.

6. gregw98

gregw98 Member

Mike, is it a small one like mine pictured? If so, how much? It can't be any deeper into the dash than in the pic, no room.
    greg

7. araley

araley New Member

I ran into the same problem in my jumbo cab, so i got a radio encloser for a boat and mounted it on the dash. Then mounted 2 4" speakers under the dash.

8. zardoz

zardoz Member

I'm going to pull my factory radio and throw it down a hole. Then I'll find a tidy place to stash the "business" end of my pioneer satt radio and put the display/control in a handy spot.

z

9. Griz

Griz Member

10. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

not a mini truck.. but...

in my jeep i bypassed the whole head unit thing.

i installed an amplifier (on my mini it would have fit nicely behind the seat) then ran my Zune mp3 player to it directly. my amp goes to the speakers. since the zune has a tuner in it i have all bases covered.

the only hurdle to cover on an install like this is the remote wire on the amp that typically goes to the blue wire on the back of the stereo. that tells the amp to turn on when the stereo comes on.

i just ran the remote wire to a togle on my center console. i turn on the amp then turn on the zune and rock and roll magic happens!!

11. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

im looking for something for my toyota. its really short and think its a bit narrower then normal stereos.. toyota had a second unit for the tape decks etc in the trucks. kinda like the late 80's chevy 1/2 tons.. all i want is FM so i can put my sirius radio in there!!

12. N7MOG

N7MOG Member

Radio retrofit

The problem will be on AM bands. In Europe and Japan the stations are spaced at 9kHz intervals, and in the US they use 10kHz spacing. Most modern radios won't let you tune between these spacings. If you don't listen to AM then no problem, but if you do then the US radio probably won't work.

midgetvan likes this.
  13. Stuff99

my am works okay but its a dial i manually tune. probably why.

14. confuzed

confuzed Member

my radio work in my subaru but digets are a couple out of sinc looking to up grade thinking of roof mounted any one tried yet?

15. slimbad

slimbad Member

radio options

Roof??? or overhead (interior)? anyway here is another thread that covers this radio issue, with pix of overhead "dash/console".......later, slim

http://www.minitrucktalk.com/showthread.php?t=3611

16. Stuff99

hmm. mount it like an old cb? interesting....

17. confuzed

confuzed Member

lol yes meant interior ty for the link cool set up have to go to nevada bobs (if still around ) and see if they have them

18. Stuff99

heh, i need to seriously replace the AM only radio i have. but an interesting note, on the way home on my trip today, i was channel surfing, and being a manual knob dial, i picked up lots of skip tonight. i was clearly listening to 850 KOA denver, co from saskachewan!! also i was in the high end of the radio, 1600~, and i swear i picked up some asian sounding radio station. i know it was not english, spanish, country or southern lol!

19. confuzed

confuzed Member

maybe one of our stations here in alberta i know we have a few cause the yahoos at work like to change my town trucks radio to them

20. Stuff99

well if i was picking up denver, co then i could see it being alberta.

21. confuzed

confuzed Member

I know a few years ago wierd weather caused skip was pulling out of Red Deer and was listening to a Vancouver station the father in law bought a car at the auction and i was driving it home for him just happened to be a car from Vancouver so when i turned on the radio it was set to a Vancouver station

22. bigguybigguy

bigguybigguy New Member

I ran into the same problem so off to WalMart and got the cheap one fron Dual and I could not beleve it fit in and the bracket for the am one bolted in took 10 mins.
    It has am fm cd mp3 outlet and usb port $49.95.
    How ever the speakers are another problem they are to thick for the doors, have not solved that one yet.

23. bigguybigguy

bigguybigguy New Member

Sorry the last post was for a Carry 1992

24. Stuff99

suprisingly you can find odd ball speakers at XS Cargo. dunno if it is everywhere or not. i know its in sask and alberta for sure.

25. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

I"m going to mount speakers in to the headrests of mine as on my 1992 miata (tweeters only) and mount the mid/bass under the dash as low tones are not directional. The miata headrest speakers are the same as commonly found in dirt cheap computer speakers you can find for $10. 1 left and 1 right speaker per headrest and in the miata the difference with the top down is dramatic over cars without that option. The speakers are so small (right at your head so size is really unimportant) that small cutouts in the headrests are easy and there is more than enough space. For the stereo im using an old c/d deck I have . I never listen to c/ds so I'll remove the c/d guts from the stereo and that will allow me to cut the back end off the deck so it will fit..then you can easily solder an input jack to where the c/d input was and send ipod tunes directly to the reciever