1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

questions from a new mits owner

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by dowhat, Sep 19, 2010.

1. dowhat

dowhat Member

Thanks for all the info that has been shared on this site, and I hope to give back likewise. I just purchased a mini cab u42t with a 3g83 motor. The previous owner said there was alot of smoke from the exhaust. No I did not test drive it, or fire it up before purchase, I knew this going in to the deal.

1) The motor has a universal dipstick, and I would like to ask, what's the length of a factory dipstick, from the stopper to the tip, and min/max oil level.

With that info, I can start safely with the diag of smoke. Color and such.

I do see that the carb bowl looks to be flooded/leaking and the spark plugs are saturated.

2) Do the factory front strut tops mount directly to body? There is 3" spacer between my strut tops and the body tower. Just wondering if someone has already added a lift kit. There looks to be longer rear leaf springs, rear shackles.

I guess I'm getting close finishing my HiJet 4x2 project to take on another.

EDIT: I have found specs for the 550 from Dans helpful manual posting, but want to verify specs for the 660 3g83.

Thanks again.
    JC

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  2. striper sniper

striper sniper New Member

sounds like yes you have a lift kit check those u joints. The stock struts/springs are mounted to cab below seat direct. As far as dipstick ill have to pull mine and get back i have 1996 misu same model and i believe same motor

3. dowhat

dowhat Member

Striper, ya the rear shaft, rear joint is beat. I'll have to add it to the list.

I drained the oil, and the oil was pitch black, with 0 viscosity. Installed 3qts of 10w30, along with some seafoam in the oil. Ran engine for 30minutes. Cleaned carb with throttle body cleaner. Major amounts of oil in air cleaner to carb hose. Changed oil/filter. Ran for another 30 minutes. Eng sounds a bit like a sewing machine, ie valve adjustment first before replacing anything.

Need specs on oil dipstick length and valves adjustment.
    And part numbers for all four u-joints and pcv valve.
    Thanks.
    JC