1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

question for you engine guys

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by thefuzz783, Aug 4, 2008.

1. thefuzz783

thefuzz783 Member

So I pick up my new mini on Saturday, and being the curious person I am, I start inspecting every square inch. Everything is looking really good, no oil leaks, purrs like a kitten, until I check the air filter. Or should I say, lack of air filter!! I couldn't believe my eyes, the air filter was missing.:eek:

So I know dirt in the engine is bad, then there is the unknown of how long it has been missing.... So what kind of problems can I look forward to in the future? Anything I can do now, other than put a filter in (which I have done), to help the situation? What kind of damage does dirty air do to the engine?

:(:confused:

2. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

dirty air can ruin a motor...

that said it's hard to say what has happend to yours. i have seen guys out at the dunes lose an air filter and ruin a motor in a day. the sand is so abrasive it goes into the cylinders and erodes the rings, pistons and cylinders until it looks like james bond hitting the smoke screen.

if there isn't any blue smoke coming out of the tail pipe you are probably fine. that is a tell-tale sign of bad rings allowing oil from the crank case into the combustion chamber. it just depends on how long it was run without the filter and in what kind of elements. if it was driven on the street mostly i wouldn't lose any sleep over it.