1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question for Canadians - wheels/tires + lift

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Bronze, Mar 16, 2022.

1. Bronze

Bronze New Member

Ive been reading and re-reading as many posts as possible here on tires and wheels. I've come to understand that in order for our trucks to drive on the road we need DOT certified tires in the US and that those certifications seem to be appropriate for Canadian road use as well. Im seeing the use of ATV/UTV tires 23x8x12 and other sizes that are DOT certified. Which then blows my mind trying to figure out what rims I need and if stock can be used or not.

I have tried going through Transport Canada's documents about what tires are approved and Ive noticed they mention TC, DOT and JIS markings being allowed on tires, but in another document from TA, I read that the Japanese associated ones aren't allowed (can't remember for wheels or tires). Which is too bad since Japan has great key truck off-road yet still highway capable-ish tires.

I was just wondering what Canadians here are running on the road? Im currently in Quebec and still need to get my Ontario bought minicab inspected for the SAAQ, so I was hoping on getting the correct tires/rims on it before going.

Also would you recommend adding at 2" lift before or after the initial inspection? I would have to get it inspected for lift anyway after but was wondering if the lift would cause any issues with the initial inspection.

Thanks for your input and help!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
  2. franky d

franky d New Member

nice little truck

for now i have winter street tire on stock 12 inch rim
    2 inch lift in the back had 2 inch lift in the front when i got the truck but i remove it because of the bad angle of the axle

waiting on wheel adaptor to mount 13 inch honda vx wheel for the summer

got the tire last year from mini4x4.ca

i would wait after the inspection for the lift kit and you dont really need to do an other inspection

full inspection they probably look at it

just out of quebec inspection couple year ago was just making sure you had day runing light k/m speedo an french warning label if you have airbag
    they would not even look under the car

not sure its still the same today

you also need an value estimate to your name for vehicule older than 25 year unless you bought it from a car dealer

3. Bronze

Bronze New Member

Ok that's super good to hear, Im still waiting for the truck..Ive been having transport issues getting it shipped to me from Thunder Bay. When it comes in next week Im going to make sure running lights are running well and will hold off on any lift until after I get it inspected. Ive been going through the QC inspection Manual and it should be fairly straight forward.

Has anyone tried the Traxion Mini-truck tires on the stock rims without a lift? I was considering them, and seen different success stories about running 23s on stock rims with and without lift.