1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Q: how slow is an Automatic Hijet

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Arkivel, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Arkivel

Arkivel Member

Hi, does anyone have experience and know how slow the auto Hijet is with and without turbo? Id really like to know as I want to import one

2. AZmini-t

AZmini-t Member

Lol, I'm not sure there is a fast hijet. That isn't really the intent of most of these vehicles. I have a 5speed manual and can get up to and hold freeway speeds 65.

3. Arkivel

Arkivel Member

I appreciate the fact that kei cars are pretty slow. The turbo hijet is rated at 64 hp and has different gearing however. I'm curious about the hijet auto trans as well. Is it as gutless as other cvt cars? I've driven an auto sambar before and it was pretty awful.

4. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Not sure how fast these mini trucks need to go. There was a post a while back, about people doing crazy things, with these mini trucks and drawing too much attention too them! Yrs. ago too many people got crazy with the three wheelers and they wound up outlawing them! Now, I realize as well as anyone, we can't stop people from doing crazy things! I'm just saying that you guys are running these things at a pretty good clip on the highway, I think I would be happy with that! Now, I also do realize it's fun to go fast or faster. I have been known do zip along myself! lol:) Stay Safe Guys!

5. SAITCHO

SAITCHO Active Member

Cant you buy a manual instead? All the vendors I spoke to told me to stay away from the automatics.

AZmini-t likes this.
  6. Limestone

Saitcho,
    I didn't realize that. Pretty interesting! I personally like the standard shift, especially off road, like mine is set up for. That's just me! I can see how automatic can be very use full, as an every day driver!
    Limestone

7. SAITCHO

SAITCHO Active Member

The two vendors I spoke to told me manual are better especially for off-road uses. The mini-trucks are low on power so being able to control what gear you are in is a bonus. The mini-truck is the first stick shift I ever operated so I am still a newbie regarding manual transmission but with more practice I think I will be able to fully appreciated the advantages of a manual tranny.

8. Limestone

Had a dump truck yrs. ago! It was nice because, you only needed to use the clutch occasionally. Start up and reverse. The other 5 gears were all freehand, and no coffee being made! same clutch 20 yrs. until I put a guy in it! I went through two clutches in a yr! Great guy, always got the job done, great worker, but ol' short legs, the human bowling ball, would ride that clutch and burn the heck out of it!:eek: Whata you gonna do!

9. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Hire long legged girls. One of the Contractors I worked with had almost all women running his triple end dumps, and transfers. I asked him why all the girls once. He just laughed and said that the girls were way less likely to break things, and burn up clutches. The guys were always pushing things hard, and the girls didn’t. They reved the engine less than the guys and did a better job of feathering the clutch.

10. Limestone

Jigs,
    This made my day! I f I hired women with longer legs, than my beautiful bride of 38 yrs., (who did some high fashion modeling yrs. ago), I most certainly, wouldn't be on this forum now, or any other time! LOL!:D But I do appreciate your point!:)!
    Limestone

11. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

The guy I knew was on his second divorce. He had a small gravel outfit, and the girls were part of his marketing. And, being Vegas, there were quite a few long legged gals, who had gotten tired of shlepping cocktails, or running keno, and were happy to go to work for Teamster wages.

Limestone likes this.
  12. Arkivel

Arkivel Member

Is a Turbo Hijet as fast or similar to a Subura Domingo?

Is the CVT Hijet transmission just as bad as a Subaru CVT?

inquiring minds want to know.

13. Limestone

I could see that Jigs!

14. Arkivel

Arkivel Member

No offense guys but can you please not derail the thread. It's great to see this forum active but I dont really care about off-roading and hot chicks with long legs, or at least I dont tell my wife this.

Daihatsu CVT trans and Turbo

Anyone have experience with these????

DEG95DH likes this.
  15. Limestone

Sorry Ark,
    I put that in the wrong place! I was drinking Corona with lime to keep the Virus away, and I slipped up! Damn Corona!
    Limestone

16. Limestone

Ya know Ark, I guess I can understand not wanting any body to hi jack the forum, But for the life of me, I just can't wrap my head around anyone not enjoying long legs or hot chicks! Just saying, I mean I'm in the garage earlier, just a wonderin what that's all about, and to tell your wife!

17. Limestone

I mean don't be scared Son, go ahead and tell the Mrs. Ya never know it might git her to laugh or maybe just releive some of that undue stress that's goin around with thisCorona Virus stuff! Just sayin! Ya'll have a nice day!

18. DEG95DH

DEG95DH Member

I don't think Hijets ever had CVTs? Either 3-speed automatics (later, 4-speed?), or 5-speed manuals. 5 gears are always going to be peppier than 3 gears.

For the most part, you can still control what gear you're in with an automatic. Put it in L, you'll stay in 1st gear. Put it in 2, and it'll automatically control between 1 and 2. Put it in D, and it'll automatically control between 1 and 2 and 3.

19. MrJPolito

MrJPolito Active Member

My automatic hijet tops out at 65 mph but eventually gets up to 75 mph when you're flooring the acceleration pedal for ten minutes on flat ground. The manual Honda Actys I've had were able to reach 75-80 mph with no problem in comparison.

20. DEG95DH

DEG95DH Member

Makes sense, as your Acty was probably 4 or 5 speed, and their differential gears were probably ratioed lower. The benefits of the manual: more gears, no torque converter loss. The detriments: you have to manually do everything, clutch is a wear item.

For me, automatic was appealing, such that anyone in my family unlearned could drive it. I expect manual would have better performance, but performance was not one of my objectives. (yet)