1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Project Build: Mitsubishi Blower Truck

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by Badgerland, Nov 16, 2009.

1. gumballf355

gumballf355 Member

Now THATS a sweet build.

2. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Hey Dan! Looking like Wednesday could be the first big test! We demand pics and videos. :D

3. Badgerland

Badgerland Member

Yeah... this incoming storm for Tues-Wed is a monster. Pretty much looking like a 12'+ event with near blizzard conditions! Guess we're gonna make-up for a slow start this year. :D

We got a small amount overnight with some bonus lake-enhancement so its enough to get some first-round testing on the blower today. Unfortunately, I'm getting called-in to work on the ambulance Wednesday morning because of this storm so "multimedia" is gonna be delayed a bit on that storm. I cant wait to drive 30+ miles down to the city Wed morning in the teeth of that storm....guess its a good time to test out the 6WD of the newer full-size truck for the first time. :sly:

Might take the tracked truck though...imagine that on I-43 :D:D:D

4. Acerguy

I'm thinkin' we need an update, eh? I know WE sure got a metric @%# ton of heavy snow last week. Not the deepest amount but it was tough to move. In fact, my tractor broke down 3/4 of the way through the job (not snow related) and convinced me that I need a better way to deal with snow.

5. Badgerland

Badgerland Member

Update from testing in the big storm last week...

Sorry for the delay - had some family issues thrown in to the mix that took priority.

Well, I think we can all agree that the storm produced pretty-much worst case conditions to test in! Overall, the blower did very well in conditions that were difficult to say the least. After doing some snow relocation in West Bend (about 14"-15"of the heavy wet stuff), I took the truck over to my home which is on a county highway. The county trucks did a wonderful job of leaving a small mountain of the most difficult wet snow / heavy slush at the end of my drive. My personal Ariens 2-stage pretty much took a dump leaving 3/4 of the work to be done so I didn't have much of a choice. I did plug the discharge chute three times during the time that I was testing the unit, but considering that everyone else running a blower in the area was spending the majority of their time clearing their discharge chutes. A heavy dose of silicone spray certainly helped the situation.

I discovered one issue that we are addressing:

Pony Motor Throttle: It was obvious right off the bat that the throttle on the pony motor needed to be adjusted. The engine responds to load and was initially idling too low causing it to bog when encountering the worst type of load to put into a blower...heavy wet snow over several inches of slush. I made some adjustments to the idler springs and such which greatly improved the performance, but I still believe we can get even better performance out of this set-up. Time to have an expert look at this particular detail. The pony motor had plenty of power and provided impressive performance.

Otherwise, this was a little more than I had planned for a first-run test, but I guess it was a great proving-ground scenario to really hammer the set-up. Our float mount design worked great and allowed the blower to remain in contact with the ground surface at all times. The truck had no issues attacking the snow and the weight seems appropriate having had worst-case conditions to test in.

I was not able to shoot any video as I was out as a one-man show. I think we're definitely ready for the next storm to roll through to produce something for you guys to see and we'll have our minor bugs worked-out.

6. Acerguy

Nice. Thanks for the update.

7. Badgerland

Badgerland Member

A little crappy video...

Ok guys... here's another crappy video, but it's something! :rolleyes:

With the storm that came through today/tonight, I had an opportunity to do some additional testing on the truck with the new throttle controller installed so I slapped on a camera for an on-board view. :cool: We got about 7"-8" at the time this was shot.

I was plowing slowly while I tested other aspects of the truck, so don't mind the speed aspect of things. This isn't the best video in the world but you get the idea. I'm on schedule to take the blower truck up to northern WI this weekend for the full testing in deep snow and MUCH better video action shots to share.

Anyways...here's a little clip to keep you entertained til then:
    Blower Truck Test Video

;)

8. Acerguy

Very cool. This snow was a lot easier to deal with than that storm in early December.

9. acidgear

acidgear Member

Nice job Dan...the thing really hucks the snow! It's the best way to clear snow. I like how the deflector is remotely controlled.

10. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Damn, you can actually go pretty fast with that blower. Cool rig!

11. Stuff99

Stuff99 Active Member Staff Member

awesome video!!

12. Badgerland

Badgerland Member

Action Video!

Finally, here's an action video of the build. I transported the truck up to northern Wisconsin to test it out in a variety of conditions. From several inches of snow to over 3' that has been sitting for weeks, here's the build at work:

Mitsubishi MiniCab Snowblower Mini Truck in Action

:pop:

13. Ironraven

Ironraven Active Member

Damn dude that thing's got some power! It was crazy to watch it chew its way through that old crusty snowbank :cool:

14. woodhe1

woodhe1 Member

snoe blower

When does the production of for sale units start Dan?

dan

15. Badgerland

Badgerland Member

Hey Dan.

I'm in the final stages of complete pricing for installed packages. We've taken what we've learned from the build of "proto-type" unit and know that this will have to be a custom install on a per unit basis. This is due to obvious, and not-so-obvious reasons:
    1. Variations between trucks - Manufacturers and Model years
    2. Customization of "quick-release" mounts
    3. Blower manufacturer does not drop-ship
    4. Additional parts or fabrication needs per truck type
    5. Quality control aspects

We are able to ship blower units, but only after they arrive to our location so in most cases, we see customers having us install the units on their truck for turn-key performance. We must also be aware that the manufacturer only builds so many units per year of each model type so it is important to get an order in ASAP before stock runs-out. I became very aware of this as we just ordered a 72" system for a customer with a mid-90's Suzuki.

Feel free to email or call me to discuss further in the mean time.

16. Badgerland

Badgerland Member

Thought I'd share a few more pics.

Here's our 95 Mitsu sitting and waiting for more snow:

[​IMG]

Here's another of one of our customers that installed a 72" Blower on his 96 Zuki that we set-up for him last year:

[​IMG]

:D