1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

products you use that actually work?

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by fupabox, Oct 9, 2010.

1. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

I figure it would be nice to have a thread on all the products we've used over the years that actually do what they are supposed to do...

Since it is time to get my vehicles ready for winter I'll start with a great car wax/polish I've used for years.."Nufinish" ..fairly cheap,comes off ridiculously easy even when applied in roasting hot direct sunlight,and lasts about 6 months in between applications.

I'll add another cheapie hint..I needed to buff out the yellowed oxidized headlight lenses on the GFs car...forget the $20 headlight buffing kit...you can get the same result with regular toothpaste....works perfect and you can't get much cheaper

2. starpuss

starpuss Member

Seafoam , works 100%

3. fupabox

tremclad "rust reformer" only comes in flat black,in spray cans....I coated the frame and undercairrage of my Daihatsu with it when I got the truck 15 months ago..still looks like the day I put it on..even the slight rust that was present on welded seams on the frame have stayed black and not bled through

4. rst277

rst277 Member

wd-40 works great to protect metal from rust.

Seafoam "deep creep" is great

Goop automotive sticks trim and almost anything else together.

Blundstone makes great work boots and hey no laces!

Work king overalls are great especially when bought on sale at Canadian tire.

Ridgid power tools - great tools, great price, great warranty.

Princess auto is good for cheap stuff, you'll use occasionally as long as it doesn't have a motor.

Dish soap (no name) will out perform any commercial hand cleaner at a faction of the cost.

Brush on electrical tape rocks.

R

5. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Good point. In fact, I'll go one better. Back when I worked at a place that did more fabrication, we worked with some steel tubing that came from england packed in cosmoline/oil/gunky stuff to keep it from rusting. We found that for whatever reason DAWN dishwashing soap worked considerably better than anything else for removing it. Later I found out other companies that did similar things also used it.

Great thread, BTW. :)

Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
  6. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

and that soap will lube anything in an area that you cant use oils etc for environmental purposes. and makes lots of bubbles to :D

7. werase643

werase643 Member

L.A.'s TOTALLY AWESOME spray general cleaner
    it removes the mung from the paint for a super clean paint
    it removes most of the crud from the engine compartment
    and it's a buck at the dollar store http://www.lastotallyawesome.com/html/Products_Degreaser.html

all time best carb cleaner is the cheap crap from O'reillys store brand
    cuts the most crud off of a carb and also one of the cheapest on the shelf
    little black cap http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/ORY0/72414.oap?keyword=carburetor+cleaner
    also will easily pull the decal gunk off when you are scraping decals off or pin stripe residue

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  8. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

hmm carb cleaner and gunk remover. neat.

9. fupabox

Hmm wish I could find that degreaser around here...I tend to use kerosene to degrease...not good to smoke while doing it tho:)

10. anthill

anthill Member

Rust-related things are hard to endorse right after using them, so take with a grain of salt. That being said, any minitruckers in snowy/salty climates know how fast these trucks rot out.

POR-15 rust paint was impressive just to paint on! Very tenacious, flowing, felt like no ordinary paint. Online reviews are pretty positive too. Feels bomber.

'Corrosion Free' spray from Canadian Tire. Winner of a Defence R&D Canada test, this stuff doesn't drip as much as Krown, has better chemistry, and lasts more than a year - maybe two winters!

11. fupabox

I've read a few articles on the POR-15 and it seems impressive..wouldn't mind trying it..where'd you find it? Eastwood company?

12. anthill

anthill Member

They seem to do centralized distribution... I just ordered the "starter kit" off their canadian website. Shipped out of a Quebec address.

Their brand-name degreaser and rust converter seemed to work well, from what I can see unless you have access to the same chemicals through another source you might as well buy the whole prep & paint system through them.

Oh, and don't buy more POR-15 paint than you can use, it starts curing once you open the can...

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  13. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Great Thread Fupa! I'll have to think about this one... as not everything performs as advertised.

14. zardoz

zardoz Member

"Honey Goo" excellent lubricant with great adhesion properties.

z

15. downhere

downhere Member

This is one of my favourite products! I have never had any quality issues with it. It does exactly what you would think it does. It isn't another overhyped product that will sit on your shelf and collect dust. You find yourself creating special occasions to use it. I have also thought about different applications in which to use it. Good thread Fupa! Not sure if my product pertains to this threads but...:D

Attached Files:

16. fupabox

lol ..I think it's appropriate:D

17. fupabox

"Gorilla tape" duct tape on steroids...it's survived as a hinge on a plastic tool box I keep in my trunk...the box weighs around 20 lbs and the Gorilla tape holds as good as the original hinge.every time it gets lifted it takes the whole weight of the box.

18. fupabox

Trimshine and Moreshine from Stoner...both are the best I've found ...Tireshine makes your tires nice and black ,doesn't attract dust and turn brown,and lasts at least 3 weeks...same with trimshine...Their glass cleaner " invisible glass " is great as well. Walmart carries it in some stores...great stuff and not expensive.

http://www.moreshine.com/

19. trials4evr

trials4evr Member

Mothers back to black black plastic pollish, this stuff is amazing I'm in the process of cleaning and polishing all the black plastic on my truck and this stuff is amazing! The faded white plastic shines right up and looks like new again. Just a little elbow grease required.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  20. fupabox

Canadian tire had a sale on bedliner rejuvinator...$1 a bottle...it works great for making trim black again as well...

21. Wedge

Wedge Member

POR15 works alot oh and try it before you laugh but tabasco works great on sized bolts and nuts. I did my datsun Z with por 15.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012