1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power Steering Conversion for S83P

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Steve S83, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Steve S83

Steve S83 Member

I bought my S83P for crawling around our 11 acre tree farm at very low speeds. My wife has asked since the week I bought the truck if there is anything I can do about the steering. Has anyone attempted to add electronic or hydraulic assist to an S83P? I know there all kinds of aftermarket "one size fits most" steering racks out there for side by sides that may work with some modification but most are electric so I'm hoping there may be a later model Hijet hydraulic system that may work.

Thank you!

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

They had them for the vans in the European, and british markets. I have seen them on eBay UK for the 80 series vans.

3. SAITCHO

SAITCHO Active Member

I was looking for a universal electric kit for my Carry. Anything wrong with the electric kit? They seem to be getting good reviews from the UTV crowd.

4. TurboPutPut

TurboPutPut New Member

Did you end up finding a kit? Im interested too.

5. Steve S83

Steve S83 Member

Wanted to post a reply to see if anyone has been able to find a kit/system that works? Again, I assume power assist is our only real option based on the design of the system but wanted to see if anyone has figured it out.

6. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

There are pumps, and racks out of series 5, and 7 vans on ebay. You have to set the search location to world wide. They are configured differently but, depending on how much fabrication skill you have, they look like they could be made to work.

7. Steve S83

Steve S83 Member

Thanks! I’ll take a look at that.

8. Nautydog1

Nautydog1 Member

Any luck on power steering unit for the s83p yet?