1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Power loss under load

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Adam Xett, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Adam Xett

Adam Xett New Member

Hey folks, got a problem with my 91 Carry;

Clean machine, low miles, been running fine since I got it. Then...
    It has become hard to start, but once started seems to run well enough - can rev through the full range and responds well to throttle. However, under load (in gear) it fails to produce much power. Pedal to the floor on a flat road and it'll barely hit 40km - shift into neutral and it'll rev higher, but not under load.

I've checked the choke plate and it is moving correctly, fully opening once warmed up. Engine air filter is new and clean, fuel is new and clean.

It went from "totally fine" to rather bad in pretty short order, so I don't believe its a wear item.

Any ideas?

2. Bigmac

Bigmac New Member

Fuel filter plugged?

Adam Xett likes this.
  3. Adam Xett

Adam Xett New Member

I'd imagine that would present as poor throttle response in idle, as well as under load? I'm TOTALLY up for it being that easy though :)

4. Bigmac

Bigmac New Member

No, idle is not usually affected. Most noticeable under load, just replace it...

Adam Xett likes this.
  5. Adam Xett

Adam Xett New Member

Heck, I'll give it a try! In my past exp, so long as it physically fits and is about the same size, a fuel filter is a fuel filter. Rather than wait for a "genuine" match part, think a generic from Auto-wherever would work?

6. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

sounds like insufficient fuel flow. Try the filter first.
    Then look at: fuel pump pressure; the in tank filter; and lastly, because it is hardest to get to, the tiny little filter inside the carb on the inlet for the needle valve.

7. Bigmac

Bigmac New Member

Yes, take it off and take it with you to match up. Try blowing through it in the direction of flow, should be fairly easy to blow through...

Adam Xett likes this.
  8. Adam Xett

Adam Xett New Member

Fuel filter replaced - no improvement :-(
    Is there an easy way to measure fuel pump pressure? And the in-tank filter - that on the top along with the pump assembly?

9. Adam Xett

Adam Xett New Member

Swapped the additional filter that right next to the pump as well now - is this the "in tank" one you're talking about? Or is there ANOTHER actually inside the tank?

10. Jigs-n-fixtures

There is typically a “sock” filter in the tank, to prevent larger sediments from getting into the pump.

To test fuel pump pressure there are test gauges, which measure fuel pump pressure, and engine vacuum, highly useful on carbureted engines. OTC 5613 Vacuum/Pressure Gauge Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0050SG9KW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_nV5LEbEGNJ3WZ

Limestone and Adam Xett like this.
  11. Adam Xett

Adam Xett New Member

Cheers man, thanks for the link. All the ones I've seen assume the fuel system in question has a dedicated valve for testing. I'll check the pressure and grab a backup fuel pump from ebay.

Thanks again for all the help!

12. Jigs-n-fixtures

Those are for fuel injection systems, which all have the test ports.

13. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

Check coil output under load?

Fred

14. Adam Xett

Adam Xett New Member

Over my head... you talking putting a meter on the points at the dist cap? What am I looking for (or looking not to see)?

15. Jigs-n-fixtures

For the coil, check the resistance. Not sure how you would Test a coil under load, with out a dyno.

16. Adam Xett

Adam Xett New Member

Alright, got a buddy with a pressure gauge and found my fuel pump to be D-E-D dead. Pulled the old one to validate and it's toast. Have a new one, but of course, didn't get pictures of the plumbing.
    Any chance somebody could snap me a pic of their pump and plumbing under the chasis?

Thanks!!!

17. Adam Xett

Adam Xett New Member

Ok, got a new fuel pump in there today. While it seemed to (sorta) solve the hard-start, it still lacks power. I did notice that the tank seems almost pressurized? Do these engines have some sort of pressure or vacuum driven fuel system thats somehow in addition to the electric pump?

18. Adam Xett

Adam Xett New Member

Have swapped in new plugs, cap and rotor. Same issue. Feels like its got a limmiter on it, strangest thing. Do you think it's down to carb now?

19. Buckacherz

Buckacherz New Member

I know it's been a few years, has anyone found a solution? I have the same situation can't get over 60km/h in my 95 Carry, drives fine otherwise, rough start and struggles up hills.

I have also replaced the fuel filter, some fuel lines, rebuilt the carb, cleaned the fuel system, found out i was running rich at one point, replaced the spark plugs and wires, tested the sparks and everything.

I'm a little out of ideas, so any guidance would be great.

20. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

Valves may need adjusting. I've heard they need to be adjusted every 30,000 km. I have yet to do mine but not seeing a need yet.

21. Jigs-n-fixtures

If they start ticking, and the oil is up where is should be: Then you waited too long, and the lash is too loose.