1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possiblity of increasing ride height?

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by Colin, Jun 26, 2007.

1. Colin

Colin Member

Has anybody successfully lifted a Sambar? I see the bolt-on lift kits on eBay for the solid-axle trucks, but the semi-trailing arms on the Subaru present an obstacle. Not that I'm complaining... I enjoy the handling, and I've fallen in love with semi-trailing arm rear suspension on my Merkur and BMW E21. :)

Also, as requested, here are pictures of my truck:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Colin

2. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

3. xroadsimport

xroadsimport Member

Yes we have a 2" lift kit for the Subaru. I will post a picture of a lifted truck when I can. It is easy to install and works very well. We have installed tires as large as 24x8x12 Mudlites with the lift. We also have aftermarket wheels for them.

I don't get as much time to post here as I would like.

4. joe

joe New Member

Airbags!

Lower it! LOLLERBLADESCOLINDRINKS8OZCOKE!

5. Colin

Colin Member

Yeah, right... imagine a slammed Sambar in the snow. Remember, this thing's my daily driver. ;)

Good to see you made it over here, Joe. :D

Colin

6. Acerguy

Ran across THIS on Ebay the other day. Interesting rig... They did a BODY lift on it. Not sure how much easier/more difficult that would be that with spring spacers, etc..

Attached Files:

7. xroadsimport

xroadsimport Member

[​IMG]Here is an example of a lifted Subaru. It has one of our 2" kits, and 489s on the stock wheels. That is the only thing done to it.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2007
  8. xroadsimport

xroadsimport Member

How are you actualy posting the pictures on the forum?

9. Acerguy

PM sent! :)

10. Colin

Colin Member

Thanks for the info, guys. That camo van thing is badass. :)

11. wtnminitrucks

wtnminitrucks New Member

Hi Everyone,

Here is the Subaru Sambar we did a body lift on. I would be happy to answer any questions.

Rgds,

Kelvin Kendall
    West Tennessee Mini Trucks
    Troy, TN 38260
    Phone: 731-538-2722
    Email: kelvin@wtnminitrucks.com

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. kmoneil

kmoneil Administrator Staff Member

Nice, that truck looks tough! Is that a hatch on the top?

13. Acerguy

Nice. Thanks for posting the pics. I was following the ebay auction. One of the coolest looking rigs I've seen yet!

14. wtnminitrucks

wtnminitrucks New Member

Kevin,

Yes. That is a hatch on top. We just finished customizing this truck. It is a 1990 Subaru Sambar. Here are the details:

THE ULTIMATE HUNTING ATV!
    Camo paint
    Rhino lined interior, bed, and fenderwells
    2" body lift
    Heavy Duty front bumper with spare tire carrier
    New 6 ply off-road tires and camo rims
    2 removable fold down rear seats with quick release
    Sliding rear windows
    Top hatch door in bed

Rgds,

Kelvin Kendall
    West TN Mini Trucks
    731-538-2722
    http://www.wtnminitrucks.com/

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. swampfox

swampfox Member

I have the 1991 Sambar. It looks identical to your 1990 model. I ordered the Crossroads Sambar lift kit--it was one of their prototype units I believe. The gold paint flaked off almost immediately after installation. Wish I had stripped and painted the units with chassis black, POR 15, powder, or something first. Installation was rather a pain simply because I didn't have the proper specialized spring tools I guess. I did go to Advance Auto Parts and borrowed one of their spring compression tools--pay, use, and bring it back for a refund--they allowed that for some reason--like renting except for free. I was able to do the whole lift without dismantling the front suspension and rear trailing arms. That may have made the job easier if I had done that. The lift results in the front tire bottoms angling in a little toward each other--kinda like an old VW beetle does all the time--no big deal. I then went to the junk yard armed with calipers, and a bolt pattern measuring tool. I came out with a mint set (including the donut spare) of 1997 Nissan Sentra rims measuring 13"x5" They are perfectly hubcentric to the Sambar hub and with, of course, the 4x100 bolt pattern. They were also clad with good 175/70R13 tires with an outside diameter of 22.6". I believe you can purchase 13" tires up to between 24 and 25". By the way--we can drive on the streets here in Mississippi with the proper title bond, paperwork, and a state-issued VIN number attached. USAA also insured my truck. Anyway, the 13's and the lift kit did wonders for handling and not nosediving into ruts on our tree farm. That's not all. I have a SCION xB (by Toyota) and acquired an extra set of stock steel rims. They measure 15"x6" with stock 185/60R15 tires. I had the 54.1" centerbore machined out to the Sambar's (about 59.1"--check measurement). I took one of the original 12" rims to the machinist and he measured precisely--I mean it's a tight fit. Take the rims in to be machined without the tires mounted. Now with the Sambar lifted and with the 15" wheels and tires (185/60R15's--outside diameter 23.7"--it drives like a truck should. It looks pretty cool too. There was just a hint of rubbing at lock to lock steering--in the Sambar you don't usually turn that tight anyhow.

Bobacuda likes this.
  16. Acerguy

Nice post, swampfox. Let see some pics! :D