1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Points or Electronic Ignition

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Rickyb, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Rickyb

Rickyb New Member

I've got a 1989 Suzuki Carry with the F5A 550cc, it has got ignition points. Does anyone know where to find new ones, or is there a electronic conversion available.

2. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i would check with the site sponsors (their ad banners are at the top of each page) most of them carry spare parts. if you are thinking aftermarket electronic ignition i would try pertronix. they have always been real helpful for me when i call their info hot line, just have your distributor number handy they'll need it.

3. BillinOregon

BillinOregon Member

Don't laugh at this post as I am not a mechanic - I had no idea this was possible - very cool idea. Hopefully we will get some posters with some Mini experience replacing the points with an electronic. Maybe I will give it a try.

4. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

it's really a basic idea (i was surprised how easy they are to install). you take off the rotor, the points and condensor. you slide a collar over the distributor shaft that has the same amount of magnets as cylinders, you screw the magnet sensor down where your points used to be, adjust the gap then plug the red wire to the + on the coil and black to the - on the coil and you are off. they make the engines run a lot smoother and more reliably. i've put them on old VW's, old chevy 6 cylinders, and just about anything else i've gotten my hands on that still ran points.

5. We have the points for the good ol 550's. To change to electronic you will also need a bigger alternator and change your in-line fusable links. www.yokohamamotors.net

Cheers,
    Don

6. TMB FARM

TMB FARM New Member

I long ago grew tired of trying to set the points on my mini-truck. With only 3 lobes, the complexity increased of trying to get it in the high spot. And with so many thinkgs in the way of an already tight space, it was time to do something different. Especially since the engine was getting hard to start again.

I have a Suzuki DB71T with the F5A engine. The rotor cap rotates clockwise.

A couple of years ago I contacted Pertronix to see if they had a kit. I sent pictures and information, but they were not sure.

I picked up a 1631, it certainly did not fit.

So, I finally got time last month and sent the distributor to Pertronix. I have several Ignitors installed in tractors and an Ignitor III in a 1970 Dodge Charger.

Pertronix are always great to work with. I thought maybe the 1632 would work, I saw a forum on the other side of the world that implied it would work in some 3 cylinder Suzukis.

Pertronix confirmed the 1632 would not work in my distributor, so they custom made a plate for the distributor, placed a Module 3 on it and installed a sleeve to match. I got it back a few days ago (Oct 2015), put it in, and the truck immediately fired up and ran smoother than ever -- after sitting for six weeks.

Pertronix considers this a custom job, they did not assign a part number that I know of, but they did create a drawing -- so likely a part number of some sort exists. If anyone else wants one to eliminate the points and make everything better, just contact them and let them know they have made at least one for a mini-truck -- because I have it. Here is a picture of it installed. Too bad I was in such a hurry to put the distributor back in I forgot to take a picture of it on the table. It would have been better.

By the way, I did leave the ballast resistor in the circuit, I did not buy a new coil. The points could be put back in place if ever needed.

Hope you find this helpful.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
  7. fmartin_gila

fmartin_gila Well-Known Member

In past years I have used both Pertronix and Compufire kits in quite a few different vehicles. Slightly different units but both accomplish the same goals and do certainly make life easier when owning and maintaining a vehicle. Almost the same as changing a set of points, but once installed you can pretty much forget about that little chore.

Fred