1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by duckandbuck, May 29, 2011.

1. duckandbuck

duckandbuck Member

Ok here is the low down, I have a 1993 Suzuki carry 660 3 cylinder 4x4 5 speed with granny low. I have had it for a few months now and mostly use it for hunting. Here is my problem i have been seeing this smoke come from where the muffler tubes ( three tubes coming from caytlic converter to the engine) connect to the engine with three bolts. It's been getting really hot on all parts of the muffler leading up to the catylitic converter, but the funny thing was the engine was cool. Now today I drove it to my barn (1/8th of a mile away from my house) and the engine was pretty hot, I was judging by my touch. Now the temperature gauge never got past the halfway mark. Keep in mind it's been 100 degrees plus here for the past couple of days.

Am I freaking out over something I shouldn't?? Is it normal for the exhaust to get that hot and motor get that warm?? Any advise, this is kinda my baby and I want to take good care of it so it will take good care of me.

P.s. Yes their is coolant and oil and always has been. They are also in the right amounts.

2. Vitnzjp

Vitnzjp Member

how about fuel consumption? looks like catalisator burning lots of unburned fuel. check the color of the sparkplugs.

3. Ran440

Ran440 Member

I'm not a mechanic nor do I play one on TV, but it kind of sounds like a plugged up catalytic converter. Is the engine running kind of sluggish? Cats are known for getting plugged up and causing excessive backpressure, hence excessive heat. This is why test tubes are made. Remove the kitty, replace with test tube ( just a straight piece of exhaust pipe ) if every thing improves ( cooler temps and improved power ), voila, a plugged up kitty.
    Just a thought.
    Randy

4. duckandbuck

duckandbuck Member

Well fuel consumption has been kinda high ( at least from what I could tell) what color should I look for in the spark plugs

Also I am thinking that it could be a plugged up cat cause not much smoke is coming out the muffler but it is pumping air. The guy before me ran it in river bottoms and I think it might have sand or something in the exhaust??

5. Ran440

Ran440 Member

Spark plugs should be dark colored around the rim and a sort of medium to light tan at the electrode or center. If the whole plug is a very light color or almost white on the electrode you're running lean. Not enough fuel. Very bad for the motor. All dark or black means too much fuel or oil getting into the combustion chamber. If it is oil the plug will look kind of clumpy dirty with a lot of smoke coming out of the tail pipe.
    I'm still leaning toward the kitty.
    But keep poking around and give us some more clues before throwing parts at it.
    Randy

6. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Every guy ought to have a hand held temp. gun. Sears sells them and if you have a Harbor Freight store around you can get one for 39.95 + -. Its a cheap China made one but works well.
    These little engines do get pretty hot but 1/8th of a mile, I second the cat converter plugged up.
    Yes, the Suz. that I have had mostly run about the half way mark on temp.

7. Vitnzjp

Vitnzjp Member

check the sparkplugs first - it's more easy. you might running on 2 cylinders ;) Ran440 gave good guidance to you

8. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

+1 on that...a vacuum gauge and a laser temp. gun can analyze just about any engine malfunction (brakes/bearings as well)
    the white overheated spark plugs can be a result of the plugged cat...unhook the exhaust at the downpipe and see if it runs cooler

9. duckandbuck

duckandbuck Member

Well I pulled the cat and it still smoked alittle from where the 3 pipes meet the engine. Not much but just a little.

Then I looked at the spark plugs, the first one(closest to the front) had a tan electrode and just some dark areas around the head. The second and third ones were dirty but not really. I will post pictures of all three later.

I am currently running 10w30 Quaker state oil.
    It is also running on premium fuel for the first time. I had a mixed tank my last tank and it did fine, then I added strait premium. Could just premium fuel cause this?? I read somewhere in a thread on this that these things ran on high octane fuel in japan. But it's been run on regular before I got it.

Also it seems like the idle is kinda high, but there is no rpm gauge so I would have no idea how to check it.

Also thanks for all yals input this is decently the best forum in the net!!

10. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

if you are using it for just putting around, knock out the cone in the cat and run it.
    if the temp. is ok hammer down. it will be ok. might be getting a little blow by. if it is nothing you can do about unless you want to pull the motor.
    run it and try not to read anything in to it than it is.

11. duckandbuck

duckandbuck Member

I use it 98% of the time for off road purposes.

My main concern is I dont want to end up paying for sometime major in the future by having a major problem. I got this for a long term investment. But your right trax I shouldn't worry about it as much as I should an everyday driver. However if there is something I could do to fix this I would like to know.

12. Ran440

Ran440 Member

where's the pics?

13. duckandbuck

duckandbuck Member

Sorry I'm not around a computer right now I'm on my phone :)

14. fupabox

premium in my opinion isn't necessary...I run 7-8 degrees advanced on regular ,no pinging/knocking...use 1/4 can of seafoam or marvel mystery oil every couple months to keep the carb insides happy..if you don't need a cat for emmision purposes then you're better off hogging it out like Trax suggested.....what oil weight are yoiu using ?? too thin an oil on an older engine can cause oil usage

15. duckandbuck

duckandbuck Member

I'm using quaker state 10w30

16. fupabox

checked your profile ,but not sure where you are located...my opinion and only my opinion..my grandfather always said an opinion isn't a diploma.......is that 10-30 is too thin for anything but winter use and brand new cars...give 10-40 a shot.....the extra heat from a partially clogged cat could thin the oil enough to cause it to burn a bit as well

17. duckandbuck

duckandbuck Member

here are the pics of the spark plugs
    first one is closest to the front followed in suit by the second and third

and trax im in oklahoma

Attached Files:

18. duckandbuck

duckandbuck Member

sorry fupa, im in oklahoma

19. fupabox

try regapping the plugs about 4-5 thou less than specified after you clean em up...run some seafoam through the fuel system/fuel tank...advance the timing to around 5 degrees before stock.as long as it doesn't knock or ping ...late/retarded timing can sometimes cause oil burning

20. Ran440

Ran440 Member

Those plugs look normal.
    Back to the smoke coming off the exhaust pipes makes me wonder if you just have something leaking. So it may not be an exhaust problem but a leak problem.

21. Vitnzjp

Vitnzjp Member

I don't like plug #2

22. duckandbuck

duckandbuck Member

My coolant levels have stayed the same and haven't dropped any.

23. duckandbuck

duckandbuck Member

I just drove it around alittle and the smoking has almost come to a stop.....

I think it had to do with the cat alot, however new question.

I do think I'm just running on one or two cylinders due to lack of top in power and acceleration..... What do yal think

24. fupabox

the plugs have soot and oil build up on the for sure...are they the proper plugs??? I guess that is a place to start considering most of these trucks are using " compromise " plugs since the originals are unavailable this side of the ditch...if the heat range is too cold you will get the deposits you have there..increasing the timing advance will again take care of that

the smaller gap will give better combustion and a tad more power,as will the timing advance...the stock advance is way too low in my opinion...and