1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please allow me to introduce myself and my truck...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by DzlDenny, Jan 18, 2022.

1. DzlDenny

DzlDenny New Member

Hello all,
    I signed on a few months back and have been lurking a bit and reading up on my search results.

Last fall I picked up a very sad (read as rusty and neglected) Cushman White Truck. Lefty 4x4 with a dump. The previous owner only had it a few months but never heard it run. He was told it hadn't run in a decade or so. I was able to turn the engine over from the crank pulley with a ratchet and after hooking up some jumper cables was able to crank it over. The clutch worked and I was able to get the lights and dump bed to work all in a 10 minute span so... It followed me home.

Once I got it home, I found it had no spark but fixed that with a quick coil swap. In that process, I found that somewhere along its life it appears to have had the governor override done with the Pinto Duraspark box. Cool!

I pulled the fuel supply line off and ran a new hose into a fresh can of gas and it started right up. It did idle a bit rough but whatever. I was able to shut it off and start it back a few times, but as soon as I tried to rev it up a bit, it stalled. After two attempts to get some RPM out of it, it stalled and would not start back. I gave it a small snort of "go or blow" and it fired off again so I figured it was the carburetor.
    So as of now I pulled the carb off and brought it in the basement where it's warmer to work on it but I am struggling to find info or parts. I'm strongly considering the Harley carb swap and trying to cobble the electric choke so it's more friendly for the wife and kids to drive. but I'm going to dig into the Mikuni first and see. It does look really gross in there. Lots of dark debris and what used to be gas in there. The gas pedal assembly is rusted into a solid blob that I had to cut off the floor, and the throttle cable is rusted off at the pedal as well.

The seat belts are too faded to read, but all five wheels look to be stamped ending in "01". The tag behind the left seat says Type G but has the number 898612. Isn't that a van number? The number stamped under the seat is 60 A0135. It looks like it still has the 4G82. If not and someone swapped this engine in, they sure made it look stock right down to 85.7 miles of vacuum lines. What the heck is with all that? The trans still has 4th and 5th locked out but once it proves mobile under its own power, I'll liberate them. I did pull a wheel off and found the brakes to be like new under the drum but all of the lines and fittings will need to be replaced.

Anyway, that's the scoop. The end goal for this truck is to be a farm mule. We live 6 miles from our farm but can register it as a UTV for ag use and even run the local roads once it's stickered. The dump and 4x4 will make this great for picking rocks, fixing fence, and other chores. Maybe a snowplow? We'll see later on...

Thanks for all the effort put forth to offer up all the info on this site.

SAITCHO, Jonno and CVP33 like this.
  2. Beeler91

Beeler91 New Member

Ever figure anything out to your problem? My buddy just got one and we are wanting to do the same thing

2ndchances likes this.