1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plasti-Dip your whole truck!

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by greg0187, Nov 13, 2012.

1. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Anyone ever thought about doing this vs, say, camo wrap? Plasti Dip makes camo colors/kit too! Im sure its not as durable as a wrap but it applies like paint and you can revert to your original paint at any point.

I did some research and apparently you can thin it yourself and save some money rather than purchasing from this site. https://www.dipyourcar.com/home.php
    The claim is less than $80 to paint a whole car if you reduce it yourself with xylene and already have a HVLP gun or you can buy it in the spray can.

How to info here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNY9Dx617N8

Of course I'm convinced its safe since i see all these people coating $50k cars so I pickup up a couple cases of red matte for another project vehicle im working on.

This should get some of your gears meshing! Enjoy!

-Greg

2. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

A lot'o haters out there/ youtube comments..

I think it's awsome stuff, just right for the extreem offroading

Be funny as hell to see a branch snag the front, and rip one whole side off...then again, just spray it back on...

I think it's a great product for the mini world.

3. TamiPaulus

TamiPaulus Member

This is a really great service! This avoid trucks from rusting and soiling. Not only it adds beauty extra life too. I haven't heard about disadvantages of plastic dip, but would love to hear that.

4. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

cool....I've seen wheels done,but not a whole car...gears turning in head HHmmmm :)

5. greg0187

I've been testing a patch that I sprayed a couple days ago. What I have observed so far.

Fumes are horrible.
    Overspray is very minimal, no clouds of spray in the air.
    Dries fast!
    Very rubbery to the touch.

It did appear to surface scratch when i ran my finger nails across it lightly. This was about 20 hours after spraying it in 45*F weather so it may not of had enough time to completely dry (can claims 24hrs).
    So in an attempt to repair the light surface scratches I applied a light amount of armor all. After that all I can say is

"DAAAAUUUUUMnnnn!"

Looks amazing! Has more of a gloss now and doesn't feel nearly as rubbery. Kicked it a few times to try to scuff it with my shoe and it lefts marks but they wiped right off with my bare hands. This stuff is tougher than I expected. At this point my only concern is how easily it comes off.

Stay tuned!

-Greg

6. cbarlow

cbarlow Member

Can you post a picture

7. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

Sounds like I might be decorating the frame and wheel wells soon with this

8. greg0187

I will try to post up a pic this weekend. Its just a 1 sqft patch I sprayed on my tool box drawer to test with.

9. serge

serge Member

i spoke to the canadian rep about this product, apparently its only good for about a year before it starts to peal on its own. sounds weird to me.
    paint may be more expensive but will last longer.....
    what about rhino-guarding the whole truck... might be $$ but will never rust scratch or peel off...

10. cbarlow

cbarlow Member

I used bedliner to paint my truck it worked good

11. greg0187

Yes. This is completely temporary. It would be good for changing the color, or protecting the original paint during the winter months. In my case I plan on using it to hide body work that will be done a panel at a time on my old car rather than have visible primer sports before I actually get it painted.

Maybe you just want to camo your truck just for hunting season? ;)

camo dip.jpg