1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pinging, knocking?

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Shrimp Daddy, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Member

I'm hearing what sounds like pinging, or knocking upon acceleration in the 99 Suzi. The sound is in every gear and stops when I let off the gas pedal.

I have an air filter on order and have blown out/cleaned the old one until it comes in. I also have not replaced the fuel filter yet. Can anyone give me some guidance on troubleshooting tips?
    Thanks.

2. starpuss

starpuss Member

3. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Member

87 octane. Never used the 89 or the 93 and this is the first time I have heard the pinging. Maybe I'll have to go to mid grade. I replaced spark plugs last summer. I'll check them to see if they need cleaning. Thanks

4. the pou

the pou Member

Check your intake hot air bypass valve, it may be stock open, that woud cause the car to suck very hot air and could be a source of pre-ignition

5. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Member

Thanks for the tip. I'll have to research the valve location.

6. Thermos

Thermos New Member

Mine does the same thing.. Even on 94 octane and colder heat range plugs. Oddly enough the op temp doesn't go up. I suspect it's the thermostat.. Not that it's malfunctional, but that I could use one that opens about 10 degrees earlier as I use the highway frequently. Apparently there's a firefly turbo one that just needs a couple bleed holes drilled in the housing that's just right. That's my next step.

7. Shrimp Daddy

Shrimp Daddy Member

I could not find anything on the hot air bypass valve in the way of info or pictures. The knocking does become noticeable after warmup and driving for about 10 minutes.

8. Christopher

Christopher New Member

My view is about your problem you should Clean your Spark Plugs, Mine old Truck Was Also Doing that Till i cleaned he plugs then it was fine.

suspension lift kits

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  9. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

#1 Check your base timing its probably advanced too far. #2 "Read" your spark plugs.

Your truck is fuel injected so it more than likely doesn't have a bypass valve.

Also I wouldn't run it like that as there are serious consequences for doing so.

10. My 95 Every EFI was doing the exact same! The fuel injected types have pcv's to draw neg. pressure to avoid buildup in the crank case. If your oil is topped up too much, the drainback from the head can't do it's job and it will turn that pcv into an oil vacuum at maintained high rpm, thereby fouling your plugs and cause pinging. Best bet is drain off necessary oil, run some seafoam through the intake tract to clean it up, clean the pcv, and then clean or change your plugs. Worked great on mine. Also, the japanese set the timing in all sorts of odd ways, mine was out by 12 deg retarded. Put it back where it should have been and runs awesome again... go figure.