1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pimp My Ride

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by comprodigy, Oct 15, 2007.

1. comprodigy

comprodigy New Member

does any one have the pimp my ride season 1 video of the Hijet? is it worth the 2$ to buy it to view it?

2. Colin

Colin Member

3. hamradio

hamradio Member

My computer doesn't want to pull it up. AOL must hate macs and firefox.

Was it stupid?

4. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

The video clip is less than a minute long, and all you get to see is a brief clip of the van.

5. Colin

Colin Member

I didn't watch it before posting, since I'm on dialup (with my Mac and Safari. :D) My search of Google for "hijet pimp my ride" yielded several results, though. Poke around on YouTube - you'll probably be able to find the episode.

Colin

6. frostback

frostback Member

7. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

That was an awesome show.

I want a van now. :D

8. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

17 inch wheels

they had to cut to get the 17's to fit . i tryed some 17's on the Midget and there was no way they would fit . they wouldn't even clear to bolt them onto the axles. i still have some 15's and a set of 13's on an old Metro. ain't give up yet.

9. caseypeeps

caseypeeps New Member

17's on a hijet

I am the owner of the pimp my ride hijet and can tell you that there is some cutting to do if you want to fit 17's. You also have to rotate the springs so that the wider rims fit between the coils.

10. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

Welcome! Post some pics in the gallery when you can. :)

11. kmoneil

kmoneil Administrator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum caseypeeps. Yeah post some pics, that is a sweet ride.

12. gbrad

gbrad Member

13. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

How in the heck is that thing street legal? I though mini-truck were not road legal in the states? Was that model dihatsu(spelling) hijet sold in the US at one point in time?
    -mark

14. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Yes, the Hijet was sold in the U.S. up through 1995. They were still restricted to 25mph at the factory. It is my understanding that the governor was easily defeated (disconnecting a single wire, which one I don't know), and you had the full speed range of the truck. That van was a left hand drive model. Once in a great while, you'll see one pup on on ebay.

15. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Wow, i didnt think there was even any Dihatsu dealers in the US. LHD is always nice too.
    So i'm confused, thou they were only rated for 25mp/h, these ones were street legal too???
    Tell me more!:)
    -mark

16. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

No they were not street legal. You can tell a U.S. spec Hijet immediately by looking at the speedometer. It only goes up to 30 mph, and is marked in red above 25mph. It is also of course, LHD. They were sold under the same rules as what is being imported now - off road use only. The last van I saw go across ebay, was claimed to have been used used to ferry around employees on an airport tarmac. It was located in Las Vegas, NV.

Mitsubishi also sold a few kei class trucks in the U.S. They had the 550 cc engine, three speed transmissions, and were also LHD. One fo the members here has one.

17. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

So the hijet on pimpmyride shown driving down the freeway was show 100% illegal?
    Interesting???:confused::confused::confused:

Yea, those mitsu you speak of had the big top on the cab for our extra large north american heads;)

-mark

18. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

My guess, based on caseypeeps other post, is that it got a "special exemption" or some such thing by the university that bought it as they needed to drive it on the road a short stretch. More than likely another case of "just because you got tags for it doesn't mean it's 100% legal" ...at least in the eyes of the feds.

19. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

No, it was not 100% legal. To be able to be driven at the 60 mph top speed claimed in the show, the governor had to be removed. The van is about as legal to be on the roads as mine - granted by the state of California in this instance, not the EPA.