1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pillar-mount spotlight?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Colin, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Colin

Colin Member

Has anybody mounted a police/utility-style spotlight to the a-pillar in one of these minitrucks? I'm thinking of installing one, but I really don't want to use a roof mount.

On the Sambar, it looks like a through-door mount would be required, since the door closes to cover almost all of the A-pillar. The only through-door style mounting flanges Unity sells are at more severe angles than a minitruck would require - they fit stuff like GM minivans, GM pickups, Escalades, and Expeditions.

Am I on my own here?

Colin

2. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

I have seen some mounted on police cars where the cut the edge of the door around the light. I would be careful with taking metal out of the A-pillar as this will lessen your rollover protection. Just depends on how much metal you have to take out.
    Here is a link to a police light...but you might have to buy the right side mounting kit.
    http://www.galls.com/style.html?assort=general_catalog&style=SL061
    What about a remote control rooftop light? like on the front of big boats....I'm sure they have them at www.westmarine.com.

3. Colin

Colin Member

The pillar angle on a Crown Vic is a lot more raked than the minitrucks', so the spotlight shaft would have a downward slope to it, rather than pointing straight out. I was thinking about using the right-side one from an Isuzu cabover (like an NPR, NQR, NRR, etc) but they don't use a through-door type bracket.

The 88-98 C/K-series Chevy pickups use a through-door type and have a slightly less laid-back pillar angle than a Crown Vic. Maybe I'll try one of those. :)

I'm not really worried about lessening the rollover protection, since there's only a small hole drilled through the pillar for the shaft of the light itself. The big two-bolt flange piece acts as a bushing for the shaft, but secures to the outside of the sheet metal.

Colin

4. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

Sounds like you have answered your own questions. :)

5. Colin

Colin Member

Yeah, I'm kinda trying to work it out in my head... figured I'd document my thoughts as I go in case someone else is wanting to mount a spotlight. I'll post updates when I find something that works. :)

Colin

6. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

Good idea, Thanks