1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pertronix Electronic Ignition

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by Limestone, May 4, 2020.

1. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

I decided to upgrade to a Pertronix, Electronic Ignition, and eliminating the points altogether. Along with it is a new 40,000 volt flame thrower coil! Both went in fairly easy. Looking at the pic after I installed the E I, I see that I need to check that small yellow ground wire, and make sure that it's not rubbing on the magnet under the Rotor! It was a little tight trying to see into the distributor, as you know they are horizontal, and I was using a mirror, besides hanging upside down! Credit to the pic, to help show that! Didn't get a chance on running it yet, between a couple things!
    Limestone

Attached Files:

2. Mini_hijet

Mini_hijet Member

What truck did this all go on?

3. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Limestone, installed this in his S81LP. Which has the 550-cc EB engine. But the kit he used should fit any of the Hijet Engines with points.

Pertronix has two version that fit the 3-cylinder Denso distributors with points. Which version you need depends on whether you have a clockwise, or counterclockwise, rotation distributors.

The 550-cc EB, and 660-cc EF Daihatsu engines all have Denso, counter clockwise rotation distributors. So, if you have an S81, or S83, or early S110, with points, you can upgrade to the Pertronix Ignition, and ditch the points. You will still need to check the timing when you do a tuneup. But the issues with the points, and dodgy igniters are gone.

mdfoster and Limestone like this.
  4. Limestone

Thanks, Jig's!

5. JMM

JMM Member

Hey @Limestone, can you share what specific product(s) you ordered from Pertronix? I'm interested because I'm very UNinterested in maintaining points, but also wondering if you've noticed an improvement in drivability.

6. Limestone

JMM,
    Upon Jig's recommendation, who has a lot more experience with, these products, and electronic ignitions. I went with Pertronix #1631 E. I., and a Pertronix, flame thrower, 40,000 volt coil, #40611(3.0) ohm. These two are designed to work together. Now, even though, I have them installed, I'm in the middle of several things, and haven't had time to properly test, and verify it yet! But, I do, plan on it soon, and will keep everyone posted! I'm hoping that Jig's will weigh in and provide more technical details, which he is very good at!
    Limestone

7. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Pertronix makes two kits for the Denso 3-cylinder distributors. The 1631, and the 1632. The 1631 is for Counter clockwise rotation, and the 1632, for clockwise rotation. Check with Tech support at Pertonix to be sure it will fit your distributor if you have any doubt. You will need the model number for your distributor to assure the fit.

If you get one which fits, it is an easy bolt in swap, take out the points, install the module, (It attaches to the breaker plate in the distributor using the screw holes where the points mounted. They have a magnet collar, which slips over the top of the cam on the distributor, which opened and Closed the points. Verify that the clearance between the collar and the sensor on the module is in spec, and wire it per the instructions.

Other than a bit of wiring, and figuring out how to mount their much bigger coil, it is pretty straight forward, and not much harder than installing a new set of points. Maybe even easier than the points, because there is no dwell to worry about.

Limestone likes this.
  8. ttc

ttc Active Member

I would think that it will start easier and run a bit better with hotter spark.

9. Limestone

I'm hoping so!

10. Limestone

Got it together the last couple nights, while it was hot outside. Put the AC on in the shop, turned up the tunes and was having some fun! Installed some Iridium plugs to go with the Pertronix to complete the hotter spark idea, worked like a charm! Fussed with the timing a bit, to where I liked it, and got her jumping off pretty good! Thanks again Jig's!
    Limestone

11. Jimmmatthews

Jimmmatthews New Member

Hey I’m in process of doing this and the magnet sleeve will not fit on 3 lobe shaft it looks like it’s for 6 lobe

12. Limestone

JM,
    I had no issues at all!
    Limestone

13. Jimmmatthews

Jimmmatthews New Member

Is ur truck a red cap distributor?

14. Thomas Hintze

Thomas Hintze New Member

I have a red cap distributor.

Dealing with this right now. Bought a 1631 and 40511. Installed it last week, no dice, no spark, nothing. Called Pertronix went through a bunch of tests. Eventually bench tested the igniter and it failed. Another igniter was delivered today, bench tested it before I put it on, bench testing passed. Installed the igniter and still no dice, no spark, nothing. I am at a loss of why I am not getting spark.

15. Thomas Hintze

Thomas Hintze New Member

Did you have any luck with yours?

16. Limestone

Mine is a tan or brown in color but it might have been a more dull red in color when new!
    As long as it has the vent hole and it's the right one the brownish red color id correct!
    Limestone