1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Performance - Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by Kauai Kei, Dec 27, 2021.

1. Kauai Kei

Kauai Kei Member

So, 1995 Carry, 5spd, pretty much stock. I've had it for three months, and it's been three months of struggle, but now it seems like it's finally running right! Or is it? I'm suspicious. I'm not expecting anything but awful performance, but is this *too* awful? Illuminate me on whether this is normal:

Empty truck with 250lb me in the drivers seat, and nothing else in the truck-

Top speed on a completely level flat - ~52mph
    Top speed up a slight incline - ~43mph
    Top speed up a moderate incline - ~33mph
    Top speed up a steep incline - ~20mph

Truck is awesome driving around town, but the commute to work and back (15 miles of two lane hilly roads) is an adventure due to the lack of any ability to go up a hill and maintain the speed limit.

Also, can anyone explain the granny gear to me? I don't seem to have anything to the left of first, despite what the shift pattern on the knob says.

Mahalo!

2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

It may be a bit slow. Start with a good tune up and see if it gets any better.

Getting the timing and air-fuel mixture right on mine made a big difference. I can now climb hills that I had to drop to second, and now I can go up in third.

3. t_g_farrell

t_g_farrell Active Member

What gear were you in? 5th is a dog on hills. I usually drop into 4th but can keep the speed in the 50s even on good sizes hills. Unless I'm on fairly open flattish roads, I stay in 4th for the most part.

Also tire size can be an issue. I run 22.7 in diameter tires and can tell the difference when accelerating compared to the old smaller tires.

4. kip thompson

kip thompson Member

Ok no my 95 carry on gravel road on hills in 3 gear will spin the rear tires all day long. If you have a 5 speed EL is extra low and only available in 4x4 mode. I have a 4 speed with low range in the transfer case. The 5 speed only has 4x4 high range. To use low range the transmission uses a extra low gear. Hope this makes sense