1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pending Indiana Legislation regarding Mini Trucks

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Archer-Andy, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Archer-Andy

Archer-Andy Member

Indiana has a proposed bill being introduced in the house commitee to allow mini trucks on Indiana Roadways after December 31, 2009 with the exception of interstate use. Mini trucks that are being operated on a highway must be titled and registered. This bill will also require mini truck dealers to register as a dealer by December 31, 2009. This bill is called House Bill 1043. Here is a link for all who are interested in following this bill. This is the first time that Indiana is recognizing and/or considering mini trucks for legislation allowing on-road use.

http://www.in.gov/apps/lsa/session/billwatch/billinfo?year=2009&session=1&request=getBill&docno=1043

2. cmaranto

cmaranto Member

House bill

Andy:

I have talked to and sent to 4 additional House members that I have sold trucks to. All will support and get on board immediately. Its the Marion County folks that will be a problem.

3. Archer-Andy

Archer-Andy Member

Thanks for getting directily involved in making this a possibility. I appreciate your efforts to get these mini trucks recognized as fuel efficient transportation in Indiana. I am hoping for the best and will continue to follow this bill's progression.

4. Archer-Andy

Archer-Andy Member

Indiana Bill Watch by email

Here is a link to Indiana's Bill Watch. It will notify you by email of a bill(s) progression once you sign up. It is free. I signed up to watch HB 1043.

http://www.in.gov/apps/lsa/session/billwatch/

5. GR.mike

GR.mike Member

I have a few dealers in Indiana that are working with som egovernment folks themselves. If you would like their phone numbers I am sure that they would love to help out as well. PM me if you would like their info

6. Brett636

Brett636 New Member

Anyone care to speculate on how the feds will react to this? Considering it's the federal government limiting their speed and those driving these on the road will most likely bypass those limiters will the feds withhold highway money for the state until the state decides not to do this, or will they simply pull anyone over driving these over 25 mph? I'm glad to see Indiana considering this, but I'm afraid the federal government will use its power of persuasion to halt it altogether. :(

Just to add though if the state does allow it I am so buying one for driving to and from work. :)

7. GR.mike

GR.mike Member

From what I have heard...the funding is the biggest issue as to why states will not allow them. In order to receive federal funding a lot of states have to follow certain regulations as to what is allowed on the highways (minitrucks not being one typically). If the states doesn't follow the regs then funding is pulled. I would suggest that street legal minitrucks will be far and few between...unless the Great Obama can remedy this as well :(

8. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

I will definatly be contacting my Rep. , I am sure he will be in favor of this, I haven't checked out the bill or any of the info, so he might already be on board. There is a guy locally selling them, they are already on the road in my county, and the surrounding 4 counties and have been for over a year - registered just like a 4-wheeler and/or UTV, for use on county roads only, however you can "cross" a state road. Lots of farmers using them, as well as hunters and recreational use for the counrty dwellers.

I agree with the post above up there, Marion county would be the only county , I dont know what it is about that county anyways..... ;)

There are alot of people that still know nothing about these trucks, I get comments/questions everywhere I go in mine. And everyone stares, they think they are just the neatest thing they ever saw, and most everyone makes some comment related to the price and features vs. the price and lack of features for a Ranger, Mule, etc......

Had a guy stop by the other day and was just all beside himself cuz he spent 10 grand on his Kubota UTV and didnt know about the Mini Trucks....

9. jtpc

jtpc Member

Interesting. Sounds like if it passes then you guys will have it like we do here in Oklahoma. That's cool

10. Archer-Andy

Archer-Andy Member

I didn't think that this bill had died in the house. I haven't been following it too closely here recently. As far as I know, it is still in committee.

11. Ran440

Ran440 Member

This is really cool seeing another state making headway legalizing these trucks. If I wanted to get involved in my state who do I start emailing first? What would be the most tactful approach?
    Thanks,
    Randy

12. Windmill

Windmill Member

As for the Federal gov. they work for us and it is about time and long past due they start to realize that. There are 8 states that are passing leg. enforceing the 10th admendment. I read it in the paper the other day. Oklahoma is one of them. If they want to with hold the federal money on highways. Those staes are going to withhold the money they send to washington. Support the people in your state in washington who support the way you believe not the way the party tells them to vote!!!!

13. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

I was at the gas staion the other day. Turning onto US 136 coming out of the business district was a mini truck. Appeared to be the one that was for sale at the other side of town that I havent seen there in a week or so.

On the back was a shiny new Indiana license plate (white plate, blue numbers/letters = "truck" plate in Indiana).???????

So....... I thought, hmmmmmm.... how did he do that? Or did he just temporarily swipe the plate from his 83 f-150 to make it look "legal" ? ;)

If I see him around, I'll try and get some intel. :cool:

14. Archer-Andy

Archer-Andy Member

The last update that I have heard regarding mini trucks is that it has passed out of the Indiana House as HB 1043 and has been attached to Senate Bill 249 as part of legislative changes to commercial driver's licenses. It would "authorize the use of mini trucks on highways under certain circumstances". I believe that this would allow mini trucks to be driven on all roads with the exemption of Interstate Highways (because of federal allocated money and the debate of federal regulations regarding mini trucks). I haven't heard much more than this. This new Indiana mini truck legislation isn't dead as of yet as far as I know. The last update that I can find is this link below.

http://www.in.gov/apps/lsa/session/billwatch/billinfo?year=2009&request=getBill&docno=249

15. Archer-Andy

Archer-Andy Member

I agree with you. It is definitely confusing to me too. What does road use of mini trucks have to do with CDL's ? Beats me. I also heard that there is also some sort of bill in the works regarding the use of golf carts on roadways here in Indiana. I am looking into that as well. Some have compared mini trucks to golf carts based on comparative size. We all know that there is a huge difference between the two. I hope that one outcome does not affect the other. A coworker told me today that he read something about golf cart legislation in his local town newspaper yesterday. He is supposed to bring me the article so that I can read it.

16. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

Golf carts have been allowed in the county I live in for quite some time, and they are not tagged at all. 4wheelers and Rangers, etc... have to be tagged for county road use only... I have yet to spot the elusive mini truck I mentioned above with the shiny Indiana license plate...However I have seen and know of some other mini trucks that are tagged like the 4wheelers...

From what I can tell, its all on which license branch you happen to go to and who is working at the time and what they know or rather what they dont know.

For example a local guy here just bought one of those 3wheeled cars, has enclosed cab, seat belt, lights, etc... just like a car but only 3 wheels. He went to the license branch for the title work, and they titled it as a motorcycle, because by Indiana definition a motorcycle is anything with 2 or more wheels but not exceeding 4 wheels, however there is no definition that a car cannot have less than 4 wheels.. So... the friendly local cop who knows the guy, explained to him that since its titled a motorcycle, he has to have a motorcycle permit/license, has to wear a helmet, and cant drive it after dark....And guess what, they guy does it.

hahaha

;)

17. me3

me3 New Member

Does anybody know if there is a current bill number for this, the hb1043 and sb0249 seem to have changed and now have nothing to do with mini trucks.

Thanks

18. rivercitytrade

rivercitytrade New Member

19. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

20. Archer-Andy

Archer-Andy Member

Hopefully it will pass this time around.

21. me3

me3 New Member

The Indiana general assembly web site seems to not be updated according to the bill watch email notification, the email I received says:

LEGISLATION: HB 1175
    DESCRIPTION: Use of mini-trucks.
    LAST ACTION: Senate sponsors: Senators Yoder,Stutzman and R. Young

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LAST ACTION: Referred to the Senate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    LAST ACTION: Third reading: passed; Roll Call 75: Yeas 76, Nays 21

Does anyone know how much farther this bill need to go to become a law?

22. Archer-Andy

Archer-Andy Member

Try this link. I have pasted it below too.

http://in.gov/portal/news_events/50466.htm

For immediate release: Jan 26, 2010 12:00:00 EST
    Posted by: [r18]
    Phone: 317-232-9805
    Email: mmaday@iga.in.gov
    House Approved Mini-trucks on Local Roads

House Approved Mini-trucks on Local Roads

STATEHOUSE- The Indiana House of Representatives passed House Bill 1175 which would allow the use of mini-trucks on local roads and state roads if properly titled and registered by the BMV. Mini-truck dealers must also register as a dealer in Indiana. Mini-trucks are prohibited from interstates.

"Mini-trucks meet the requirement of what defines a car and truck," said House Bill author Rep. Dave Wolkins (R-Winona Lake). "They have seat belts, air conditioning, radio/cd players, turn signals, and high-beams. Why shouldn't they be allowed on the road?"

Currently, almost all mini-trucks are made by seven foreign car companies: Daihatsu, Honda, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Subaru and Suzuki. Several domestic car manufacturers have express interest in entering the mini-truck if the demand is there.

Mini-truck Specifications:

660cc, liquid cooled, 3 cylinder motor, 4 stroke, gas or diesel, 4x4 drive
    4 or 5 speed manual transmission with high/low transfer case
    4' x 6' box has fold down and removable sides and tailgate (box can also have lifts/raisers installed)
    Radio, windshield wipers, seat belts, standard lights and full instrumentation
    Approximately 50+ MPG
    Catalytic converter
    Seats 2
    Optional Air conditioning, Dump box, and extended cab
    Can reach speeds up to 70MPH
    Currently law in Indiana defines mini-trucks as off-road vehicles. Off-road vehicles are mechanisms such as golf carts, ATVs, Bobcats, and Gators which don't require BMV registration and can't be used on public roads. House Bill 1043 would categorize mini-trucks as a different vehicle class than the previously stated.

Originally, mini-trucks were called low speed agricultural vehicles. Now mini-trucks can reach speeds up to 70 m.p.h. and have evolved into on road automobiles for everyday use. They can also be accessorized with winches, plows, extended cabs and roll bars.

"This legislation is long overdue and needed because the use and capability of the mini-truck has changed significantly over the years," said Rep. Wolkins. "It no longer made sense to classify them as an off-road vehicle."

House Bill 1043 will next be voted on by the Indiana Senate.

-30-

« Back to News Release List

Link to this event: http://in.gov/portal/news_events/50466.htm

House Approved Mini-trucks on Local Roads Jan 26, 2010 content_id:9D6F14F4FF8B447AAFD1D32BE1184B03; type:press; agency:r18; showOnHomepage:; sortDate:Jan 26, 2010; filterDate:201001; isBanner:no; agencyDivision:r18;01 - January;2010;Press Release

23. Archer-Andy

Archer-Andy Member

24. Not that this matters much for IN, but it looks like WV just made the legal

25. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

so if the house passed it what is the hold up on be road legal? i just joined a week ago i was looking to get a mini truck soon as cash is on hand. would be great for going back and worth to work for me which is 9 miles or so 1 mile being on a state highway rest county roads or the long way around being 1/4 mile state highway rest county roads. i didn't miss them becoming legal yet have i? thanks for the help guys:frustration:

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  26. me3

me3 New Member

No they never voted on it in the senate so it didnt get passed. I tryed emailing my district senator in support of the bill but I dont think he was interested in it.:frustration: Maybe we will get lucky this year but after two years of trying I dont have a lot of faith. It seems Indiana is always a few years behind everybody else so maybe this is the year.:pop:

27. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

ok thanks and anyone know of a used mini for around 5000

28. cmaranto

cmaranto Member

Used Mini

Where are u located?

29. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

i live near a little town called vevay on the ohio river

30. me3

me3 New Member

This year the bill is SB 0372 now is the time everybody needs to email there senators and support this bill in Indiana.