1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parts interchanges

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by JRinTX, Jun 1, 2007.

1. JRinTX

JRinTX Moderator

What parts have you found that are readily available for these trucks from local parts houses? Air cleaner elements, spark plugs, oil filters, brake pads or shoes, etc.

For instance, I had to replace a clutch in a 1996 Daihatsu truck. A local clutch rebuild shop helped me cross the clutch disc and we found that an early 90's Charade disc for a 1.0L would work, but not the pressure plate assembly. I bought a new disc and the shop reworked my pressure plate, much cheaper than the $300.00 from Japan.

Alot of parts on these trucks can be interchanged, it just takes some work to cross them over. Lets share the info we have found.

2. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

Since these trucks were built as commercial trucks in Japan...I would be careful putting passanger car parts in them...ecpecially clutches and pressure plates....filters, plugs and tune up parts are ok. There are several people online that have the proper parts for these trucks....or I can order them for you if you need me to.

Thanks

3. JRinTX

JRinTX Moderator

ABC,

You are correct, interchanging parts should be done correctly unless you want more problems. The clutch disc that I interchanged from the Charade is actually a heavier duty disc than the HiJet. The Charade is a 1.0L vehicle, the Hijet is 660cc. The Charade disc has 6 springs vs only 4 in the HiJet. Thickness and diameter is the same.
    Luckily, I had help from a very experienced clutch shop with over 20 years of experience. He actually knew what the clutch was when I sat it on the counter. He made the same comment as you, he wanted to make sure we did not interchange a less durable clutch.
    Also, I had the pressure plate assembly reconditioned because it is different than the Charade.

Liberty4Ever likes this.
  4. abcminitrucks

abcminitrucks Member

Gald you did your research. :D Some people will go to the local auto parts store and take the advice of the guy behind the counter ( we all know most of these guys are good actors and that's about it). I had one customer do this with a clutch and take it home and install it himself....well the clearances were not correct and it destroyed the bell housing and the input shaft. I had to order him another transmission.....:eek:

5. jimstractors

jimstractors New Member

There is a clutch shop http://www.clutchmasters.com/shop/ that rebuilt a suzuki carry pressure plate and clutch disc for $150.00. They are in California, but you can give then a call and probably UPS the parts back and forth.

6. jimstractors

jimstractors New Member

Oil filter for HiJet is a wix 51394

7. Body Parts

I just bought a 1995 Dahaitsu HiJet Dump Truck which is really handy. I have to straighten the driver side rear corner bracket for the bumper. The truck was really a working vehicle in Japan and it really is in good shape overall.
    I want to get a rear bumper for it. Can you help me locate where to buy them and about what I should have to pay for one? Used is fine. Do they come with some sort of hitch, also? Thanks,, Bill

8. 47knuk

47knuk New Member

Front brakes...

I have a Dahaitsu 1990 jumbo, and have found that the REAR brake pads from a Mitsubishi Montero Sport fit the front of my truck.... You have to
    break out the belt sander and take about 3/32 off each one (they are to thick)
    but they fit and work perfectly!!! Auto parts store $20.00 .... Way better
    than the $125.00 they want on line!!!

Limestone likes this.
  9. deshet

deshet Member

That is good to know. Any idea what year Montero sport. That may/should mean that the calipers interchange.

10. John_Hijet_S83P

John_Hijet_S83P New Member

I just put new wiper blades on my 1991 Hijet S83P. I used Trico Classic 15" (33-150). They are bayonet mount and seem to work well.

11. Limestone

Limestone Well-Known Member

Welcome John,
    That's good to hear, keep it coming! You might want to click on your profile, and then, click Signature, and put in your units info, and it will sow up at the bottom of your post, and really help others to help you with what you might need or want! Good Luck!:)
    Limestone

12. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

deshet, 47nuk was last here years ago, so I doubt you will get a response.

Tip, the posting date is on the lower left of a post. If it is a bit stale, you can click on the poster’s name, and it will open a window, with their information, including the last time they were on. If they haven’t been on for a while the odds of getting a response go down.

13. tl1000s97

tl1000s97 New Member

The charade clutch says it’s 7/8 and the joker says shaft is 3/4 how does it interchange ? Need a clutch but can’t find one