1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overseas Hatch Job ...

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by Observer999, Jul 9, 2008.

1. Observer999

Observer999 New Member

Hey guys ... new member here - although I did post my first thread yesterday, trying to solve my purchase mystery!

But I wanted to mention that I had a chance to view a newly imported and modified (lifted) mini truck this afternoon thats for sale on a lot. I wanted to get an idea how it was lifted in front while taking care of maintaining camber.

So apparently this truck was modified with a 3" lift and R to L driving config. overseas prior to being imported. As I inspected the front suspension I was shocked at the shitty fab job that was done to modify the suspension. It was shameful.

In addition they had two steel tubes penetrating the front bumper - probably for a custom bumper or wench application - that were welded to the undercarriage with a patch work of multiple plates. Down right ugly if you know anything about metal/machine fabrication.

They did do a good job of trying to cover it all up with black undercoating/paint. :rolleyes:

2. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

ya, you really got to look out for the welds now adays. father bought 3 new aluminum tool boxes for our service trucks, we took them back within an hour. got them out of the cardboard boxes and they were so poor that some were burnt right through and didn't actually weld anything! And if you don't know how to weld, do not learn on something important!

3. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i've been welding over 20 years, and have done it professionally for the last 10. it was amazing to see these guys come into welding shops professing their knowledge and experience.

we would weld test them and if the machine was set up, they could buzz along. but didn't know how to set it up. later we changed the testing method to setting the machines at zero all across the board. we would make them dial it in with no help... if they could they got the job.

there are a lot of hacks in every profession, but i've seen more than my fair share in the fabrication business.