1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Outer cv joint replacement

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by TRAX and HORNS, May 3, 2012.

1. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

We had a truck come in the shop that had a knock knock knock sound coming from front end. Driving the truck and looking down through the passenger seat you could see the drivers side front axle skipping rotation. Further inspection showed the bearings completely gone on the outside cv joint next to wheel.
    Unfortunately my local guys stopped rebuilding them so I called FG Procurement and had one in two days. 85.00 + 16.00 shipping. Kit comes with boot, outer cv joint, boot clamps, keeper ring, tube of grease and bearings already installed. Pulling the axle was straight forward. Remove everything behind the tire and the axle will be looking right at you. You will need a big impact to remove axle nut(22mm?). No need to remove strut. Work around it. Grab the axle and make a sharp pull towards you and it will snap out of front pumpkin. The biggest problem was getting that little gear off the end of the axle. After trying to beat it off(it has a keeper ring inside it) I got a 2" cut off wheel and made two cuts one on each side of the gear and tapped on it till it fell apart. Installing new outer cv joint onto axle was fairly easy and helped a lot having two people. You have to work that little keeper ring into place with a little flat blade screw driver while someone taps on end of axle to get it to slide down into place. Installing the axle back into pumpkin be careful not to hit seal. Most of the time it will be ok and continue to seal if you dont hit it.
    Its pretty easy. This truck was a daihatsu s110p and the cv joint will have 71LAC on the bigger end of the cv joint itself. Some other s110p's will take the 75LAC. For what ever reason daihatsu used two different ones. So look for the numbers before you order one.

2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

excellent info...should be a sticky..hint hint :)

3. Inane2

Inane2 Member

Thanks For sharing Terry.