1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

our new 1991 kv3 sambar moon roof project (uk)

Discussion in 'Subaru Sambar' started by mikeh1975, Mar 27, 2011.

1. mikeh1975

mikeh1975 Member

hi all newish sambar owners (had suzuki b4)

we have a 91 imported about 18 months ago.... 79,000km
    work we have done over the last month and a bit we have owned it.....

new refubished kv3 660cc engine from japan just coverd about 800 miles
    refurbished old carb (done by me)
    colour tune and service the engine with all new parts
    weld in new three point harness points in the rear(as couldnt have kids in the back on lap straps)
    new brakes front and rear
    just went through mot only needed headlights adjusted :)

bits getting dont this month....
    whole repaint inside and out in metalic orrange(focus rs orrange), and pearl cream(bmw pearl cream) trying to keep it the same but newer looking brighter colours

end of april its going in for interior re-trim in grey/orrange leather

camping cupboard being made to fit in the rear left boot window area, will have fridge, cooker and sink, also a storage space for a few ods and ends and camping equipment,

here is where were at at the moment..... will post pics once its been painted and post pics showing work were having done

mike n vicky (leicestershire uk):rolleyes:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  2. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

looks great...nice colour choice:)

3. Sambarmon92

Sambarmon92 Member

Cool looking "Volkswagen";) Can't wait to see your camping cupboard.

4. mikeh1975

mikeh1975 Member

its not done yet these are pre paint colours kind of flat looking paint so going in for total respray at a cost of over £2,000:)
    leather seats and interior trim is going to be about the same, thinking of grey leather seats with orange trim to match in?

5. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Wow....it's going to look even better ? cause it looks great now....:)

6. Fay Presto

Fay Presto Member

greetings Mike,

I have the attached half way across the Atlantic, I should get a hold of it in about three weeks. 1200cc Auto, but from your experience, Anything I should know?

I want to get the insides sorted, so I will follow your efforts with interest.

It has the three rows of seats. I suspect the Two more comfortable seats in the rear would suit me better. what are the chances of getting some sent over from Japan?

Fay

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      3.4 KB
      Views:
    • dm-1.jpg
      dm-1.jpg
      File size:
      9.7 KB
      Views:
    • dm-4.jpg
      dm-4.jpg
      File size:
      9 KB
      Views:
  7. Denise T

Denise T New Member

Beautiful little Sammy... Love the colour choice.

8. Fay Presto

Fay Presto Member

you're just biased,'cos you have the same?
    The colour chose me, it was the 1200 cc engine and AWD that I was buying, the colour came as part of the deal.
    F

9. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

Hi Fay, nice Domingo! I remember seeing that one for sale in Japan at a dealer ...

10. Fay Presto

Fay Presto Member

..............but is it going to be any good? Too late now it's almost here, did you see it in person, or just while browsing?
    F

11. olddatsunfan

olddatsunfan Member

My daughter says I'm mistaken, the one we saw was pink not blue! We've only seen it over the internet though, the dealer said it was very good! Good luck!

12. mikeh1975

mikeh1975 Member

QUOTE=Fay Presto;66377]greetings Mike,

I have the attached half way across the Atlantic, I should get a hold of it in about three weeks. 1200cc Auto, but from your experience, Anything I should know?

I want to get the insides sorted, so I will follow your efforts with interest.

It has the three rows of seats. I suspect the Two more comfortable seats in the rear would suit me better. what are the chances of getting some sent over from Japan?

Fay[/QUOTE]

awsome looking little van, we use some guys in leicester for our interior work, covertec solutions they done out 72 bug in a one of a kind half green leather
    were going to be using them again for this one top quality work

just a shame were selling the old girl now:(, but the samba is just so practical can get everything in, but the sambar still turns heads like our old little bug

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Soren

Soren New Member

drool. I think I'm in love! Amazing, and I want one just like it. It's probably the only model of vehicle that I like every color that you can get it as (that I've seen) in the Combi.
    I am wishing and wishing right now for the perfect one to come up, and not get anyone else's attention. Yours is absolutely perfect.

Fantastic! I want to see more and more and more! more pics please!

14. mikeh1975

mikeh1975 Member

more pics of what?

sambar or beetle?

by the way the beetle is for sale

15. Soren

Soren New Member

heh. Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant the Sambar, but the beetle is pretty cool too. I'm kind of a philistine when it comes to the beetle though! :D

16. Fay Presto

Fay Presto Member

Out of interest, 'cos it's too late to do anything about it, how high is your Sambar Mike?

I'm not sure the Domingo is going to fit in my garage which might mean goodbye Mitsi Delica.

You will miss that Beetle, I couldn't sell my Herald, we been together since 1979, he's not just a car, he's family!

Soren, there are lots to drool over here:- http://www.goo-net.com/usedcar/SUBARU__DOMINGO/summary.html , here:- http://www.emblem-car.com/ and here:- http://www.calstage.jp

Algys Autos seems to find them, mine was £3900, + £1900 to get it here and approved.

It arrives in Zeebrugge tomorrow, then they have to trans-ship it to Bristol, do the paperwork and I go fetch!

I'll keep you posted.

fay

17. Fay Presto

Fay Presto Member

Sorry Soren, Algy no help, you in Canada, Algy in UK!

18. Soren

Soren New Member

yeah, no problem, thanks for the links though. I'd never seen that place in Japan, there are some really cool ideas there for sure! I might just have to ship some of those parts over in my van.

I've used Goo-net quite a bit in the past, just to determine differences between models etc, but I link to an english version. Perhaps this'd be of use to you?
    http://exchange.goo-net.com/

19. Fay Presto

Fay Presto Member

I tend to use google translate, that way you find the good stuff!

20. mikeh1975

mikeh1975 Member

1ST day in prep strip back all the trims and getting it ready for paint

keep watching this space for more updates

[​IMG]

21. Soren

Soren New Member

So, i've had a chance to look at those links, and yes! Very helpful. I can see that for 98,000 yen, I can get a whole kit. That will help me figure out my purchase at auction in terms of value. It may be worth buying the right white one - I want to get 4WD, Manual, Sunroof, Supercharger.. so tall order there I think, only one model out of 16 in these years have all of the above... We'll see, or maybe I'll cave? :D

22. Fay Presto

Fay Presto Member

Also, following the recent tragedies in Japan the used car market may be suffering some disruption.

23. mikeh1975

mikeh1975 Member

see yours a few months ago while we were searching for ours, there great fun little cars, keep us posted

mike n vicky

leicester uk

24. Fay Presto

Fay Presto Member

Originally Posted by Fay Presto View Post
    Out of interest, 'cos it's too late to do anything about it, how high is your Sambar Mike?................

I mean REALLY how high is your Sambar?

Thanks
    Fay

25. mikeh1975

mikeh1975 Member

ours is the same as a suzuki supercarry size wize mike is nearly 6ft tall and candrive it with ease, been trying to contact the company yourgetting your car from as i like the camper interior, the contact email for http://www.calstage.jp if you have it please :) ive tryed mail@calstage.jp but havent got a reply yet

26. Fay Presto

Fay Presto Member

Not how high is the driver, how high is the car! I think my garage is too small.

As to the the web site, I suspect they only speak Japanese! You could try here:- http://www.jp-stores.com they might be able to help you through.

I suspect people in Japan have other things on their mind than responding to vague enquiries from people in a language they don't speak. On the other hand, a major earthquake, a tsunami and a leaking reactor may be all in a days work for them?

My car was obtained through Algys Autos, and so far they have been brilliant.

fondest,
    Fay

27. Fay Presto

Fay Presto Member

I have been to see my car.

either they are better magicians than I am, or I have a serious amount of work to do to get the vehicle up to snuff.

time and some e-mails will tell!

fay

28. mikeh1975

mikeh1975 Member

im leicestershire area and willing to help !!!

just a update on my little samba, just got the top paint done, off white high gloss finish, just a load of reverse masking and pinstriping to do then another 5 coats to do the orange to the bottom section, then the interior to do !!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  29. Soren

Soren New Member

Ooohhh, that's awesome. Lust achieved! :D I can't wait till she's done!

I've been seeing ones at auction with a really nice blue/silver paint on the bumpers/aero, White on the bottom, and the blue/silver again on the top. Really different and slick looking.

I'm looking forward to seeing what you end up with for color on yours!

30. Fay Presto

Fay Presto Member

Might yet come knockin' on your door.

Are you showing us photos of your hard work or have you found a sprayer you can trust who is happy to show work in progress?

fay