1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions Needed

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by IndianaJason, Nov 6, 2007.

1. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

Hello. I am new here and am looking for some opinions.

I am in the process of buying a mini truck, and have the choice between these two, just can't decide which would be better, or suit me better and looking forward to any and all opinions.
    Here they are:

#1 - 1998 Suzuki Carry 4x4 Dump - 66,000 miles. Electric hydraulic dump bed. 5 speed manual trans with x-tra low gear. Axle lock and differential lock. (-No high and low range, just 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive from my understanding....?) Very good condition inside and out. Upgraded with either 2 or 3 inch lift (my choice), and Titan 489xt Tires (or Carlisle All Trail tires , again, my choice ).

Total price with upgrades - $6,100.00

#2 - 1993 Suzuki Carry 4x4 Dump - 37,000 miles. Electric Hydraulic dump bed. 4 speed manual trans. Hi and Low range. Axle lock. Differential lock. Good condition inside and out. Some rust in front of bed. Upgraded with either 2 or 3 inch lift (my choice), and Titan 489xt Tires (or Carlisle All Trail tires , again, my choice ).

Total price with upgrades - $6,100.00 .... but may be an even $6,000.00

So, my questions are. Which sounds like the better deal? I will be primarily using the truck for hunting, and hauling firewood. Most likely will never be driving on the road and/or going over maybe 40 miles an hour. Strictly for work and putting around the fields and woods. With that in mind, will the 98 be under-powered since it does not have a "low-range" / transfer case like the 93? Does it even matter that much?

Additionally, would I be just as well off going with the 2 inch lift instead of the 3 inch lift? I have read about problems with the 3 inch lifts...?
    Also, which tires would be better between the two choices I have from the dealer - Carlisle All Trail or Titan 489xt ? As far as toughness and traction from what I have read the Titan 489xt seems to be the better choice of the two.

Both trucks will be available for me within the next 2 days, today is Nov. 6th... so I need to make a good decision

Any help and recommendations greatly appreciated. I wish I would have found this forum sooner.

Thanks in advance.

-Jason
    Indiana - USA

2. okeitrucker

okeitrucker Member

Jason,

I would go with the '98, being you said it is in very good condition. Even if it does have 30,000 more miles on it, I don't see that ever becoming an issue. Also, the extra low gear will work for you just fine, though you probably won't need to use it very often. I personally wouldn't worry about not having hi/lo range. I'd go with a 2" lift, with All Trails. You could always get some black steel ATV wheels, if you plan to camo the truck. They are wider than the stock wheels, so they would be better suited for ATV tires. Good luck!

-Hiram

3. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

Hey thanks for the info.... Ive been told on here and by others that the hi/low range wouldnt be an issue. All I had to compare that concept with was a standard 4wd truck, where there is a big difference between high and low ranges. Im just concerned with the truck being under powered with a load of firewood back in the woods going up and down some of the hills back there (none are extreme however)..... I do like the 98 better, its in better shape, cleaner, etc....

Thanks for the info Hiram. I havent ever met anyone named Hiram besides a traveling man in Jerusalem I met about 4 years ago. Interesting name.

Anyways, thanks again.

4. WILDCAT

WILDCAT New Member

Go for the 1998! It's 5 years later than the other.
    Post the pic if you have.safe ride

5. Caleb Roth

Caleb Roth Member

I have an 89' model with a 550cc and i have loaded this thing to the max with firewood, rock ,and everything else under the sun and i never even slowed mine down. As hard as it is to believe the trucks really can carry the weight.

6. IndianaJason

IndianaJason Member

Thanks for the info guys..... I had decided to go with the 98...however I think that deal has fell through in a way. The lady wasnt very nice to me, a cash paying cutomer in her last email. Said I was asking to many questions and she doesnt have the time to answer them. I figured since I know very little about them, their inventory photos dont match the photos in the email(s) , and she didnt know certain details about the truck... like if it had high or low, if it had been serviced, etc.... and that I was waiting on some clarification to drive 300+ miles to dump 6 grand on something I have never seen she would maybe be a little willing to clarify some "minor" things... oh well, she/they must like seeing the truck sit on their lot.... So anyways... doesnt look like I will be getting either one of them..

However, I did find one last night from another dealer that I think Im going to get. 95 Suzuki, axle lock, diff. lock, 37,ooo miles, dump, lifted, tires, camo, a/c, brush guard, hitch... for maybe 6,500....?

I just so happened to run across 2 this morning at a used car lot. 1989 Suzuki with 550cc engine, axle lock, diff lock, painted camo, not lifted, with stock tires. It has been on their lot for a year exactly, they are asking 3,500 for it. It has 90,000 km on it. I offered them 3,000 cash on the spot, they said no. I left them my number.

They also have a 1990 Diahatsu Hi-Jet 4x4... 60,000km..? , white, all stock for the same price I beleive, maybe a little less.

I drove the Suzuki around their lot for about 20 minutes, everything worked. Idled a little high it seemed to me...? I didnt like the fact it had the 550 engine, just from what I have heard about parts being harder to get...

The truck was very solid, and didnt see any rust anywhere to speak of. Everything was tight. Ran good.

I'd give 3 grand for it. Dont know if thats good deal or not..?

7. swampfox

swampfox Member

Rust

Do be very careful about inspecting for rust. Those trucks come from very different climates within Japan--some in very salty-air environments. I recently saw one of those camo-fixed up kei's with a lift, wheels, etc. on a kei truck lot with a price tag of $6500. I looked underneath the front and everything--even the frame was rusted out and dangling in places. Beware! I like my Subaru Sambar--you know it's the only one with a four cylinder, and lifts and parts are beginning to be available for them too.

8. dutchman

dutchman New Member

Zuk Thoughts

My '88 (550) is outside, just got back from the barn from feeding. I gave $4,100 for a simple, basic truck. Dealer had new mud and snow tires available so I put those on also. I've got $4,400 invested. My Zuk has under 50K showing and everything is solid. Motor is the carberated model. I spent a few years in SE/SW Asia. Saw these things do some amazing things. Did not know if one would do my job or not and did not know if I would like the thing. My reasoning is that a years experience at $4,400 is easier on my pocket book than a years experience at $6,000. By next summer, I will have put my Zuk through an eight months test. If things don't work out, I can put this on the market at $4,000 or so and reclaim my money. If the Zuk works out (and the '88 and '89 models with the lockout front hubs appear to be good to me), then I'll start looking for another 88 or 89 so I have one for the farm and one for me. I have found that the 550 is a working little engine. Undercarriage and components on pre 90 models appear to be well built. 93s and up seem to have more luxury but drill bits go through the frame a little easier than they do on the older models. Aussies seem to like this one. You might want to think through the $3,500 model. If that one is in good shape, you'd get the experience you need to make an informed decision on a newer one.

Actually, I don't have a lot of knowledge on these things and little experience. My '88 is teaching me one day at a time.