1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oklahoma Tag Agency news for Nov1

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by jtpc, Oct 1, 2008.

  1. jtpc

    jtpc Member

    No problem. I paid $53 for tag/registration. But this is with a 'farm tag' which is exempt from taxes. So if you don't have a farm tax number, it will probably range from $100-150.
  2. Super Mini Trucks

    Super Mini Trucks New Member

    Name Caller & Bitcher

    All I wanted is for everyone to be sure that they were informed & we did what we could to insure that they were aware of all the facts.

    I too hope that this like most threads this one is not pulled, but if it were because of my actions informing folks that they will be in violation of Federal Laws, giving the EPA there info, giving the EPA a signed admission of guilt, thus if they chose to pursue actions aganist these individuals, a sure & fast court case making criminals out of them. Not to mention the repurcussions to reptuable importers.
    We have suffered much because we would not share our customer database with the EPA, nor will I without a Federal Court Order, but you that register them are doing there bidding (the EPA).

    Then what would this forum be? Folks need to know the facts not just the wrapping.

    I live in Oklahoma Own several superminitrucks And I will not be getting a minitruck registered in this or any other state as long as It is illegal to do so.
    This will be my last post on this thread. I have made my point that they are illegal to register by Federal Law & by doing so you are in direct violation and that they should consider this before they go see the tag agent.

    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2008
  3. Wolfman

    Wolfman Member

    To Superminitrucks:

    I spoke with Senator Cornyn about getting something attached to an energy bill, that would allow us to use these trucks on the roads at the federal level, eliminating the need for all of the state who cans and who can'ts. I was told point blank that the States are welcome to put these truck on the roads if they so desire. The Feds have NO say in whether or not the states make this decision. The absolute limit the feds can do to any state, is threaten to pull their highway funds. The cannot come into a state that has allowed minitruck owners to register them, and levy fines or seize their trucks. Again this was straight out of the mouth of my Senator.
    jtpc likes this.
  4. rayallen

    rayallen Member

    Superminitruck........If you really live in Oklahoma and do not want a tag then do not buy one. Those of us that do want one and are going by the laws set by OUR state to buy one will buy one. This looks very simple to me, buy it or don't buy it.ray allen, Muskogee county, Oklahoma
  5. canadian1

    canadian1 Member

    federal laws

    than why do we have a e.p.a. or d.o.t. if states can make their own laws? if this were true than there is no need for any federal agency. i think you will find this not to be true.
  6. rayallen

    rayallen Member

    Canadian...In Oklahoma and I think every other state they have a D.O.T. department of transportation to check trucks mainly for safety and weight. Then we all have the U.S.D.O.T. which does the same thing. I laughed last week when a DOT car slowed down to look at my mini truck as he drove down the highway. I was hoping he would come and stop me so I could call the Oklahoma Highway Patrol and let them tell him....this man is a farmer and can drive his agg vehicle any where he wants to except Inerstate Highways in Oklahoma with his Agg tax card, slow moving triangle sign and lghts on, just like on a farm tractor. I guess Oklahoma is one of the few states that do what the taxpayer wants. God bless Oklahoma, and our Indian Tribes. ray allen
  7. Wolfman

    Wolfman Member

    USDOT along with the NHTSA sets standards for all vehicle makers to meet for safety when designing new vehicles. They can also set laws for interstate commerce. States retain their sovereingty and have the right to set their own laws, which can superscede US laws, so long as they do not impliment laws that would force automakers to, for example, make major changes to designs to be able to sell them in the state's boundaries.

    The EPA was originally created as an envioronemtal quality agency. As our air has become cleaner, and their relevance has waned, they maintain "validity" by stepping into other arenas. Minitrucks emissions wise, do fall into EPA jurisdiction. The EPA can dictate what must be done to bring the vehicles into the country. Once they have passed customs, and have reached the end customer, they lose jurisdiction. Again, the EPA makes rules in regards to emissions levels in new vehicles. States still have the sovereign right to make rules that superscede the EPA. CA is a major example of this with CARB. Several New England states signed on to CARB rules several years ago.

    In this country, it is always a tap dance on what the states can do, and what the feds can do. States cannot make laws that are in defiance of the U.S. Constitution. The feds on the other hand, cannot force the states to make laws or eliminate laws to serve the Feds agenda, so long as the states are passing Constitutional muster.

    The EPA is currently doing the only thing that it can do short of pulling the plug and banning all importation of grey market vehicles. By making it cost prohibitive to bring them in, they can shut the door, without taking any of the political bruising for the action. In as much, they are sticking out like the proverbial sore thumb of what is wrong with government these days. If they had any shred of intelligence, beyond showing us little pee-on peasants who is boss, they would take the time to look at WHY there is such a push to have them legal on the roads, and as true representatives to the citizens, would come up with policy to allow for their use.
  8. canadian1

    canadian1 Member

    reply to wolfman

    very nice article. yes, the e.p.a. is for emissions and the d.o.t. for safety. the e.p.a. will write new regs. for off-road emissions which are different than on-road emissions. the d.o.t. will enforce the safety standards. the trks. do not comply with d.o.t. standards and that is why they have the 25 yr. old or older compliance in their regs. states do have the authority to over-ride a federal law but only if it is more strict than the federal law. it cannot be of lesser statue. if you will research this you will find that federal law always supercedes local or state law. if a state law and federal law are conflicting, than federal law over-rides. great responce; thanks.

    p.s. as you well know d.o.t. will never make them street legal unless they fall under the 25 yr. old law. thanks again
  9. Wolfman

    Wolfman Member

    Apparently, my Senator, whom I would expect to be more "in the know" of what the states are and are not allowe do to, than any of us here, tells a very different story from what you are stating. As several states have acted in a manner that confirms what my Senator has stated, I am compelled to believe that he is the one that is correct. At this point, I am simply going to have to agree to disagree with you on this subject. Personally, the EPA and DOT are continuing to act as examples of what is broken in this government. It is blatantly obvious that there is a sizeable representation of the buying public that wants these vehicles. Instead of responding to the desires of the public, and setting up legislation at a federal level for legal on road use that all states can abide by without fear of being pressured by the feds for listening to their citizens, they are instead working to make it cost prohibitive to import them. :frustration:
  10. gregw98

    gregw98 Member

    Canadaian1, are you sure you are not working with the EPA?
    Why are you being such a jerk to everyone that doesn't agree with all of your knowledge. You can't be on the board anyway, since you have less than 1 year experience or at least 1 year as a member.
    My Jumbo is street legal and I will be more than glad to put it to the 'sniff test'. If that doesn't meet standards, then I will do what it takes to meet that criteria. I will drive mine on-road only at highway speeds as long as my state says I can.
    And you also still have your "Z"plate installed and are completely satisfied with driving in the woods and fields 1st gear only? Correct?
  11. canadian1

    canadian1 Member


    i have almost 5 yrs. experience as a importer/dealer.
    i have been a member for 11 months.
    a donating member. how about you?
    yes,correct. i believe in obeying the law to the fullist.
  12. b_eastep

    b_eastep Member

    hes actually a dealer in Tish OK.
  13. rayallen

    rayallen Member

    b estep...Thanks for letting us all know where he is trying to sell trucks at. I can promise him with his attitude he will not sell many. He is not a true Oklahoman or he would just comply with the state he is living in, if that is Oklahoma, and sell trucks like OUR state says we can. There is a dealer in Okmulgee, Pryor and other places that sell trucks to ones who want to go by the laws of Oklahoma and have fun.I would not buy a spark plug from a dealer with his attitude. ray allen
  14. Gregkabob

    Gregkabob Member

    YE HA!!! 3 more mini trucks with Okie plates running the roads:D

    Just picked up plates for the three trucks I have. I'll be riding the roads tomorrow....
  15. rayallen

    rayallen Member

    Just a mesage to Okies about getting a tag....You must have a notorized bill of sale with the milage on it. You must have a ins. paper, just like you use to get any tag with. If you purchased your truck before November 1, 2008 you DO NOT PAY EXCISE TAX ON THE TRUCK. If you buy after November 1, 2008 you DO PAY EXCISE TAX ON THE PURCHASE PRICE. I paid $ 54.00 and change today for my tag. If my bill of sale was dated November 1, 2008 it would have cost over$160.00 for the same tag (farm tag). You do not have to drive your truck in for anyone to look at anything as of today, may change, but I doubt it. I asked the tag agent if she thought Oklahoma may act like some other states and pull the titles in the near future. She said no because OUR state will do what the citizens want them to do. Now go get them tags. ray allen
  16. MiniBrutes

    MiniBrutes Member

    How is the excise calculated there? On the value of the truck, or a flat amount?
  17. rayallen

    rayallen Member

    Minibrute....It is on the price you paid for your truck on your bill of sale. ray allen
  18. jtpc

    jtpc Member

    Great posts Ray Allen, I agree with what you are saying and thank you for being supportive to Oklahoma and providing useful information on this thread rather than the negative posts we've been getting lately.
  19. buddy123

    buddy123 New Member

    ok. tag issued

    Well, i called the place where i bought my mini and told them i needed the bill of sale notarized, and title application, but i decided to go on down and see what happens and low and behold i got my tag. i had my liability insurance varification. and my bill of sale. i had some trouble getting insurance, because 3 places didn`t have a clue what a mini truck was. they said they need 17 numbers and bill of sale only shows 12 and thats not going to change so the insurance co. i finally got just added five ones. Tag agent said it should have been added to the beginning of number not the end. I had actually driven my truck to the tag office. so they checked the vin numbder and mileage and i`m good to go, have tag on truck now.
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  20. Gregkabob

    Gregkabob Member


    When I went to the Tag Agancy they told me that they "preferred a notorized bill of sale" but not mandatory. As for the milage I got the I got the milage affidavides from them and fill them out myself.

    Best bet for everyone is to go to the agancy you plan to use and show them the paperwork you have and see what they say. There's a lot of confussion out there.

    The guy I bought the last two trucks from had to take his to get inspected. My agancy said if I bought it in Oklahoma (form him) I didn't need to get it inspected. If I had a bill of sale from out of state they would have wanted to see the trucks. The agancy I used was great and very helpful. No hoops to jump through. Hope you all have an easy time of it as I did.

Share This Page