1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OK guys was great now lost

Discussion in 'Mitsubishi Minicab' started by Cliff67, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Cliff67

Cliff67 New Member

Took the 92 U42T out for Deer season and it did everything we wanted, got my father to his stand every time which was great but then it was time to leave after 22 days and it would not start just cranked over.

Back story, purchased a month earlier ran good at idle but bogged under load, did some minimal maintenance and the thing would scream 80k in 4th gear easy (replaced plugs, air filter added some carb cleaner and octane boost to help clean.) Started with full tank of gas drove enough to get to 1/8 tank so filled up with non oxy gas and drove one more time then it hit no start just crank so I changed plugs with no change. Brought it home put in the shop and dove head first into it, checked spark yep good, on to fuel, no fuel, pump was not doing anything so I probed wires and had power so pump bad. Replaced 3 wire pump with 2 wire pump all kinds of gas at carb but no spark. Found momentary power and constant power for pump via this sight so I found which wire to go with for pump and spark but that is where I am currently head between knees. My understanding as mechanic is 3 things to run, fuek, air and spark but not for me unless and here is the big question Did I somehow bypass a power link to the "Fuel Cutoff Solenoid" and if so any ideas on how to fix as I don't want to burn out solenoid by running 12 volts constant to something not needing a full 12 volts.

Sorry for such a long post but wanted you to have as much info as possible to help me fix this hiccup as my Father loves this little truck, by the way he is 80 and wants to help me plow snow so he needs his truck.
    Thanks again Heath

2. Cliff67

Cliff67 New Member

After a couple days scratching my head and thinking I lost it the truck lives. Just in time as the snow is blowing and temps are dropping to 10 below.

3. Barry Watwood

Barry Watwood New Member

Hello Cliff67,
    Did you figure out how to convert the 3 wire to 2? I understand 2 wire pumps with conversion instructions are sold by dealers but very pricey considering 2 wire low pressure pumps can be bought for under $30.

4. Cliff67

Cliff67 New Member

I used an off the shelf 4-7psi elec pump from Napa and found the momentary power that primes system is tied to spark system and used the other power wire and ground. Seems to work as long as you don't have the key on Dr extended period without engine running or it seems to flood even though it appears to have a return to tank line coming off the carb.