1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil type & How Much

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by agswin97, Jun 27, 2008.

1. agswin97

agswin97 New Member

What type of oil are you guys using in trucks? I have 2000 suzuki...What is the capacity of the engine for refill? thnx for advice.

2. mrhempingtonsr

mrhempingtonsr New Member

My Sukuki Carry factory service manual (English Version) calls for a 10-30W oil with a capavcity of 2.9 liters/3 qt. with filter.

3. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i run 10/30 mobile 1 sythetic in my hijet

4. Tovel

Tovel New Member

So 10w30, I have some quaker state synthetic blend 4x4 should be fine then?

Would anyone use 0w30 synthetic? I use that in my full size gmc, very nice in the winter, as I don't have a block heater, always get good oil pressure on a cold start.

5. blue_miner

blue_miner New Member

im using 20-50 on my zuk. it take a few cranks to start but i can live with this in exchange for heavier lubrication. im getting 16km/liter using this. no problem whatsover on a 200km run at average of 40kph.

6. agswin97

agswin97 New Member

Thanks for replys! I think i'll go w/ 10-30.

7. Archer-Andy

Archer-Andy Member

3.5 qts w/ filter for 1999 Suzuki F6A EFI

I used Mobile1 5W-30 Full Synthetic on my first and only oil change since having my truck and it took right at 3.5 qts with the filter. I have a 99' Suzuki with the F6A EFI engine. I tried just using three qts like I had read, but it was right at or just slightly above the add line. 3.5 qts did the trick and filled it completely.

8. tommyg

tommyg New Member

Filters

Since we are talking about oil the next thing that comes to mind is oil filters. What would be the recommended filter to use i.e the ones say from AutoZone or NAPA or the imported ones from Japan? I know with my '93 Cambry, Toyota suggest using their filters because of better flowing. I now have a little over 310,000mi on this car because of regular oil changes.
    Thanks in advance for your response. BTW, I have a 92 Carry

Tommy G.

9. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

Personally, I steer away from the Frams here in Japan. The Japanese filters are obviously much higher quality at about triple the price though. Of course, I can just go anywhere and pick one up. If a Suzuki dealer nearby stocks the filter, I would go that route.

10. tommyg

tommyg New Member

filters

Thanks for the reply Don. I will look a dealer up. I don't remember the orginial filter # do you have the info on this?

11. Don-in-Japan

Don-in-Japan Member

I believe there are 3 or 4 Japanese filter makes that fit. I will look it up at work tomorrow and post it.

12. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

13. tommyg

tommyg New Member

Filters

Greg, do you remember the WIX number and what about air filter? Thanks, Tommy

14. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Not off hand. I just read that WIX makes good filters.

-Greg

15. slimbad

slimbad Member

16. tommyg

tommyg New Member

Thanks Slim, now all I need is the number for the air filter. This is a great website.

Happy New Year to all.

17. Lysander232

Lysander232 New Member

I have a '91 Suzuki Carry and it is coming up to were it needs an oil change. I run Chevron Delo 400 5W-40 Full Synthetic with a Fram filter in my '89 GMC 1/2 ton. Would that combination work on my Carry?

18. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

i use castrol 5w30 sintec full synthetic in my Mitsubishi, and it holds with the filter 3L's... also i change the oil and filter every 2000 km's. 5w30 is good for the high rpm starts, and my truck never runs hot or even gets to the half way mark on the gauge. :)

wyatt

Last edited: Jun 29, 2009
  19. Little Dumper

Little Dumper Member

I will be running Shell Rotella T Diesel 15w40 dino oil in the summer and the 10w40 synth. Rotella in the winter, with a Wix.

Why a diesel oil, you ask?

All modern oils, including the synths., do not have the anti galling additives in them for an engine with sliding parts, specifically the valve train. The last 10 years has seen regular oil have most of the zinc and moly pulled out of it to meet the newer emission standards. These engines need oil that was produced 15 to 20 years ago, unfortunately it only exists now as a diesel oil.

With the hard work I will put my mini through I need it to last with the high heat environment I live in (can be 42 deg.C, 115 deg.F in the dessert I live in).

Jon.

20. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

Shell Rotella T Diesel 15w40 is what im running. and i am a diesel lol

21. Little Dumper

Little Dumper Member

I haven't got my truck yet to see if there is room and I can't find any pics of that area. Will a long body version of the stock filtre fit in the space provided, not fatter, just longer?

Picking up some filtres today.

Jon.

22. F6A

F6A New Member

does anyone tried 20w40?

23. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

My 1992 Carry 660cc takes almost 3 liters(just over 3 US quarts) I use Valvoline full synthetic 10W30 in summer and Valvoline full synthetic 5W30 in winter. Oil filters AC Delco PF1233 or FRAM PH4967 which ever is closest or cheaper to my hand that day.

24. Jessf

Jessf Member

Thought I'd bring this thread back online.

I got my truck in the winter, it came with all new fluids, but I'd like to change them out and start fresh for the summer and to set a baseline.

I've got 1990 Sambar, 94,000 km, no smoking and the engine runs like a champ. Should I switch to synthetic?

I'm also looking to switch tranny fluid with something less viscous. I'm in southern Ontario so it gets cold enough here in the winter to justify switching to lighter thank stock tranny fluid, but I'm not sure where to start.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011
  25. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

When I switched to synthetic I thought I had made a mistake because it started burning oil but after adding 1 liter after 2000kms it kinda settled down and after the second oil change it's not burning oil anymore and the engine sounds a lot better now. Also when you look inside the valve cover the sludge is all gone now. I'm glad I switched now since I use synthetic in all vehicles. I have over 350,000Kms on my 2004 Mitsubishi Outlander and it still runs nice.

John Laskey likes this.
  26. Jessf

Jessf Member

what oil did you use?

27. Little Foot

Little Foot Member

I use Valvoline Full synthetic 10W30. I will not try 5W30 again because I think it is too light for these engines. The reason for Valvoline is because this comes on sale often at Walmart, but it is a very good oil.

KKVEGAS likes this.
  28. Pumper

Pumper New Member

Hey guys, I just bought a '94 carry and was planning on changing the oil and filter this weekend. What years go together? The link you gave the guy was talking about his '99, anyone know if they'll take the same? And I'll drive about 100 miles a day in mine, do you recommend the diesel oil (I live in Oklahoma and it'll hit 105-110F here). Thanks!

29. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Thanks for the Email Pumper.

A case of too much information and too many opinions on the subject. The best part of the forum is that if you read everything that you can find about it, then you end up with a lot of good information and knowledge; the junk gets tossed out.

One example would be that in crossing so many numbers, guys forgot to check SAE VS metric. A 3/4 16, will spin on just fine, but may blow off the mount. Has to be metric.

Drain back valves, micron size, and larger filter media surface area.
    WIX seems to be one of the better ones.

Oil. Three years I've been using "Quaker State[SUP]®[/SUP] Ultimate Durability™ Full Synthetic motor oil 5w 20 not cheap but very good and frees up HP, It's like water.

I'll be doing mine again next week and I'll send you what I use on my 93 if you turn your PM's ON...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012
    vix@tion likes this.
  30. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Just fun'in with guys, but nobody took the bait. It really is a metric. It's an M19x1.5...:p
    But, the 3/4x16 will do...
    I didn't get to do the whole "math-thing"...disappointment...:(

Anyway, do'in an oil change. Thought I'd kill this subject dead, proper dead.

Goals here: Better filter type, larger capacity for better cooling and filtration.
    Limits: Application-seal surface, component intrusion-front drive shaft and sits above cross member for obstruction clearance.

Going with the WIX line. FYI, the site is very restrictive for modification search. The WIX product cross reference catalog is best. Had fun pulling units and switching stuff around at carquest. Had the whole discussion about volume vs micron vs by-pass vs hydraulic. My brain hurts now.

This is what most guys are using, and you can enter the number into the search engine to return almost all of the threads here:

[​IMG]

But, off on my own again...this is what I used:

[​IMG]

Twice the capacity, and that's what I wanted. Not a guess, It's on the truck now.
    As far as the oil...they had a sale going on at carquest for the synthetic 5w20 @ $5/liter...made for, by Valvoline So, I'll use that to "flush out" for the start of the season. Although, I've never seen a cleaner engine, having run on the 100% synthetic Q for the last three years.

I highly recommend this set-up for any turbo OEM or aftermarket...

"The power of parts, compels you...the power of parts, compels you..."

WIX-OilFilterTypical.jpg WIX-OilFilterSpaner.jpg