1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil filters again!

Discussion in 'References' started by jpfanne, Oct 31, 2007.

1. jpfanne

jpfanne Member

Ok, I know this one has been beat to death, but I'm still not sure if I have all the right information on crossing the oil filters. So far here is what I understand to be true.

Daihatsu 660cc 51394 Wix
    Suzuki 660cc 51344 Wix
    Honda 660cc 21365 Napa
    Subaru 660cc 51334 Wix

I have on my latest shipment a 550cc Daihatsu and 550cc Mitsubishi. Any ideas what filters these would take. Also, are the other filters above correct compared to everyone elses experiences?

Thanks
    Jeff

Juju1187 likes this.
  2. Shoot1000

Shoot1000 New Member

My Mitsubishi 660's take a Wix 51365. Which can be cross referenced to a Purolator oil filter. Purolator also makes filters for some of the large auto store brands. The oil filter on it said VIC C 901. If you know the thread I believe Wix has a hotline for help. Worst comes to worst you may have to pull old filter off and measure the threads and seal. Don't know if that helps.

3. d rock

d rock Member

i tried one for a 2006 civic and it fit perfect on my acty.

4. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

I use a Delco PF1233 on my 99 Daihatsu. Its a good filter w/ anti drainback valve.

5. The 93/94 Mitz I picked up yesterday has a Delco PF1127 on it.

*Edit*

The AC Delco PF1127 cross reference for STP is S2808 and BOSCH is 3312

According to the oil filter guide at VatoZone, the same numbers were used on the majority of Mitsubishi's fullsize cars during those years....

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  6. lzpoor

lzpoor Member

filters from napa /wix

I know when it comes to fuel filters from Napa for example (Napa 3358 is a Wix 33358) and Carquest uses the same basic numbers. i also have a Wix book here that has thread pitch/size reference listings and cross references. Most filter websites will allow you to put in your brand info and will give you their filter brand cross reference. Carquest puts an 86 in front 86358

on the same note 51334,51344,51365 all have 20x1.5 mm threads and gasket outer dimension is approx the same 2.475-2.49 inches where the 51394 is 3/4x16 inch with a 2.475 gasket and there are sever others that should also fit both threads

most remote filter kits/oil coolers are based on 3/4x16 thread which fits ford/chrysler v-8 engine but have a bigger gasket diameter approx 2.85 inches

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  7. 235bill

235bill New Member

Oil filters

My '91 Hijet original filter crossed over to Fram 4967. This was a direct cross over from the japanese no. to Fram it is appearently also used on some ride on mowers.

8. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

when i get my oil changed at jiffy lube or walmart or wherever, i just tell them it takes 3 quarts of oil and use the filter for a 91 daihatsu charade, they imported those to the states in the late 80's and early 90's, it had a 3 cyl 1.0L engine and it used the exact same filter.

9. Samurai9

Samurai9 Member

Oil filters for the Hijet are easy to find and cheap. The air filters are the problem, in part because they have to fit exactly. The oil filter has to be the right size (inside volume) but the key thing is whether it will screw on correctly. Right?

(I should add that I did research to make sure I had the right oil filter for my truck. I didn't just eyeball several filters, select one, and hope for the best.)

Sam

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  10. MichTrucks

MichTrucks Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Actually there is far more to it. But the average Joe thinks all "it" has to do is screw-on and not leak. The technical part has to do with micron filtration properties, Bypass valve, bypass relief pressure, and more. Being that WE probably arent going to know about those things we will go to the parts store and say we want a filter that "this" crosses over to. The parts guy will either look-up the number and give you a suitable replacement. This gives you your best shot at having the right filter. Short of that you match the thread, and seal size. With this option you have no idea how well you are filtering your oil...But most people really don't know. and ignorance is bliss.
    This explaination is not all inclusive and only gives you an answer to "it fits and don't leak". I hope this helps a little.

11. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i have blown apart enough oil filters in my early days of drag racing and high performance engine building with heavy duty oil pumps that will handle 9000+ rpm to know the difference. but the fact of the matter is; that really isn't THAT important on a production type vehicle. don't get me wrong, you have to do a good job of filtering the oil and having the right bypass for cold oil and all, but beyond that for stock cars i just pull them off the shelf and screw them on.

12. MichTrucks is absolutely correct. Think about it guys. There is a reason for specifications. When it come to oil filtration, the manufacturers knew what they were doing and designed such components to meet the requirements of the engine. This goes for oil filters as well as air filters.

Oil filters are a little more high tech (not much) than most people think. See MichTrucks post and he talks about what the specifications mean. Fit & size only means fit and size to say nothing about by pass specs. Yes, you can use something else and get by, but I personally believe in OEM spec to assure the intended operation and treatment of my engine.

When it comes to air filters, air flow and fit is very important. The correct fit and area (Air flow) is important.

Cross refrefencing is great when it is done with an OEM replacement. OEM replacement are third party manufactured according to the Original Equipment Specifications.

When it comes to cross referencing non OEM, most people only look at fit. The worst thing you can do is cross reference a cross reference.

My $0.029999 cents worth

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  13. Tovel

Tovel New Member

I picked up a wix 51344 for my suzuki but it was too big, turns out the filter on it was a fram CM 4967 which crossed over to the wix 51394. I know its not the original engine in my suzuki, does this mean they put a daihatsu engine in my truck?

Also noticed two oil lines plugged off with bolts next to the filter assembly and two oil lines on the filter assembly. What are these for, anyone know? Should I hook those lines back up? I just got the truck two weeks ago.

14. Ravk

Ravk Member

Follow the lines, it may have been to an oil cooler.

15. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

tovel, those extra two lines should be for a turbo. I have a 97 dd51t suzuki. It has two oil lines comming off of the oil filter screw on plate that go to turbo for lubrication of turbo. PM me and I'll give detailed info.

16. Tovel

Tovel New Member

It is so tight in there, but will look to see where those lines go, a turbo makes sense, but there is not one on this engine, perhaps in a past life it had one. They are both dripping oil though, the bolt plug is not a good fit.

Would that plate on the oil filter be a oil cooler? The two lines coming off that are not plugged, and nothing comes out of them.

17. speedhammer1269

speedhammer1269 New Member

Are you sure that they are not for coolant not oil ? These things can have an oil to water heat exchanger (the thing your oil filter screws onto) much like most VW's, BMW's, Benz, newer Suzuki SUV's, and many other vehicles intended to be operated in harsh climates. The exchanger may have been leaking oil into the coolant and some one blocked it off (That is pretty much about what I did except I didn't use bolts, I looped the hoses and welded the nipples shut). If you were to reconnect them you may wind up with oil in the coolant. If any one knows where to find these things (heat exchangers) for sale, so far it looks like at least 3 of us could use them.

ed ewert likes this.
  18. oldschooltunner

oldschooltunner New Member

When I got my daihatsu I crossed the number to a K&N filter and it is part number HP-1003. I looked at a fram but the bypass PSI was higher and the K&N matches the wix 8-11 bypass PSI but better flow rate and smaller micron filter. Plus its nice to have the 1" nut on the end on the filter. Also HP-1003 is easy for me to remember because both of my last two toyotas used the same filter

19. erixun

erixun Member

Not to beat a dead horse on the oil filter cross reference game, but here is some info that might help someone that's new:

My original filter that came off my Suzuki was a "Suzuki Genuine P/N 16510-81420". My local parts stores did not have this in their systems, and the Suzuki dealer was not any help either. Internet!

Found on WIX website that oil filter crosses to WIX #51348.
    Which is also ProTec by WIX # 130, also Fram PH3614

The ProTec and Fram are bigger filters, the outside gasket diameter on the Suzuki one was 2.475", inside was 2.156", the outside gasket edge on the ProTec by Wix is 2.74" and inside is 2.39". It looks ALOT bigger, and looks like it won't work, but it fits and works on mine. Not sure exactly why or how this is a cross reference match, but hey, it works right?

DSCF1159.JPG

DSCF1160.JPG

DSCF1161.JPG

DSCF1162.JPG

Hope this helps somebody!

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  20. o8k

o8k Member

To further this point, if the threads fit, and it seals, it really doesnt matter what filter you use... I came to this realization a few years ago when I got an amsoil bypass filter for my last diesel vehicle which had a universal adaptor for oil filters. If i recall correctly, the kit had two basic sizes (large and small). from there i used the Amsoil filters which came in various sizes from large to rediculously huge. nice part was changing the filter was way less messy. =D

Wonder if this one would work:
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CQ47O2...e=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B000CQ47O2

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  21. o8k

o8k Member

If you change to somthing too crazy, you may have an oil pressure problem though...

22. TetsuKuma

TetsuKuma Member

Baldwin (USA) made oil filters get my nod. Very high quality and a long ago, found but now lost evaluation of many of the available filters ranked them very high. For Mitsi it is B1402 and even the longer B1431.

23. Matt_PAE

Matt_PAE New Member

For a 95 Suzuki Carry F6A engine - I used a PH4967 , it was the same size, diameter and length as the japanese filter that came off of it. However all my research came up with an original Suzuki number of SGP 16510-81420, Napa could cross this to a 1348 but it was much larger in diameter then original Japanese filter.
    The napa 1394 is the cross to the PH4967.

Fuel filter Napa 3470 worked.
    Plugs NGK 3932
    Airfilter - Napa 2143 (never got to test it ) Measured 3.4" ID x 5.125 OD x 5.28" Long.
    Wipers OEM 16" drivers, 14" passenger side.
    Tires - 5.70 x 12 skidder tire fits oem wheels w/o a lift kit.

Hope this is useful to someone.

Ramon123 likes this.
  24. Little Dumper

Little Dumper Member

If you even remotely care about your engine you will never run a FRAM filter. They are lowgrade junk and I wouldn't use one on a lawnmower. WIX is the same price and a much better design with a silicon anti-drainback valve. Wix also has twice the amount of filter media for less back pressure and longer service life. If you ever get around to cutting open filters you will see what I mean, it's obsene how crappy the FRAMs are.

The only time you can run into a oil pressure issue with the wrong filter is if you run something much smaller than intended, something you would be very hard pressed to do on a mini.

Run the largest body filter you can squeeze into the avail. space, you will get much more filter media, some added volume which inturn can give you some added cooling of the oil.

Jon.

25. erixun

erixun Member

26. buddy

buddy New Member

Nebie here.what about a Daihatsu hijet with a EF-CS S83p 659cc engine..i'm thinking its somewhere around a 1994.the filter on it now is a pit work ay100-keoo2 b5412n . thanks