1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

oil change intervals

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by confuzed, Jul 19, 2009.

1. confuzed

confuzed Member

Ok i searched but not good with tech stuff,found some on types of oil .What i would like to know is I'm using 0-30 synthetic oil (great white north) how offten should it be changed? I have about 3000k's since it was last changed.Don't think it should matter but it is a 90 subaru non efi 5 speed 4x4 no air

2. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Whats the manufacture say? Where are you driving? Dirt only? Pavement only?
    Road and dirt? Couple of things to think about.

3. Tinytoy

Tinytoy Member

change mine every three months or 3000km. Oil and filters are cheaper than rings and seals:frustration:

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  4. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

typically speaking, for road going vehicles it is recommended to change dinosaur oil every 3000 miles (not KM) and for sythetic (because it is more stable molecularly and doesn't break down as slowly) you can usually go 5000 miles (not KM). these were the standard recomendations when i was working for valvoline. these are conservative recommendations as most manufacturers will issue. you can go longer usually without failure... but like tinytoy said above oil is cheaper than rings and seals.

5. confuzed

confuzed Member

OK I knew I would leave out info road use only a lot of hyway as my daily commute to work is about 5 blocks so I try to use it on weekends for trips to the city 1.5 hour drive on hyway at 100 + kph .I was thinking the same way oil n filters are cheap insurance was going to do every 3000 k just wanted to get a second opion I'm also considering getting the timing belt and water pump replaced as it is coming up to 80,000 k's. My understanding from a post i read on here is they recommend every 100,000 to replace belt and do water pump at same time as it is exposed. Want to get this done before i have it painted. At least they give me a break on the oil change price because of the small capacity.

6. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

i use 5w-30 full synthetic and change it every 2000km's, it's spinning high most of the time and oil changes are cheaper then an engine, and easy to do on my mitsu :)

7. TetsuKuma

TetsuKuma Member

If you run synthetic engine oil you can always do a engine oil analysis by purchasing a test kit, taking a sample and shipping it in. I have found this answers the real questions and provides very substantial info. on what your oil has in it, how the additives are doing and THEN you can decide to change it out or keep using the oil. The reason I do this is that the synthetics are expensive oils but they can take a lot miles/km over time and handle that use. Oil test kits are cheap insurance.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  8. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Yes sir, oil analysis have a great deal of info. behind them. We ran EMD's 567 12 cyl. and 16 cyl. on a 30 day test. You could read the oil report and could tell exactly how the engine was doing. At home its fun just to do a few times a year just see whats going on in your personal engines. Gas or diesel. $ 25.00 a pop. A good compmany to use is:
    Blackstone Laboratories
    416 E. Pettit Ave.
    Fort Wayne, IN 46806
    Contact them and they will send you a test kit. www.blackstone-labs.com

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2009
  9. udidwht

udidwht Member

3 months or 3000 miles is very old info. Oil has come a long way since the days of 'Jip U lube' marketing 3 months and/or 3000 miles. Any decent dino oil today can easily go 5k - 7k or 1-2 years.