1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil capacity and type for Acty...

Discussion in 'Honda Acty' started by unclejemima, Sep 5, 2007.

1. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Anyone know what the oil capacity is in the Honda Acty? I want to get the oil changed, but i am unsure of how much to put in. I have a 1991 Honda SDX 660cc.
    Just regular 5-30 or 10-30???
    Thanks,
    -mark

2. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

I have been told it is 3 liters, can anyone confirm this? I will probably just run 5W-30.
    -mark

3. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

I'm sure someone's changed the oil before ;), can anyone even tell me what type of oil? Is 5w-30 ok?
    -mark

4. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

It was 2.5 quarts for my Hijet. What I recommend, is to simply add the oil one quart at a time. If the capacity of yours is similar, it will be showing on the stick at the minimum level by the second quart. Then add as needed to top off to full.

5. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Thank you wolfman,
    What viscosity of oil did you run? Is 5w-30 ok?
    -mark

6. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

No, I'd run 10w 30 or 10w 40. 5w 30 will be too light. I have Mobil1 15w 50 synthetic in mine, as I was treating it more like a motorcycle engine. Afterwards I found out that the other two grades are what is preferred, and what I have in mine is considered acceptable only in an extreme heat environment. I'll be changing the oil in mine again much sooner than anticipated.

7. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Great, thanks for the quick reply.
    It seems our Toyota dealer in town, and the Honda one as well runs 5w-30 factory recommended year round in all their cars, i find this as a surprise. I know the norm always used to be 10-30. Thats what I'll run. It get to -40 celcius in the winder, so i'll probably run 0-30 synthetic then.
    Can i wreck anything by using 5-30?
    Thanks again,
    -mark

8. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Probably not. You'll just likely shorten engine life a little bit by running the thinner oils - including the 0w 30 synth, or if the lifters are hydraulic, they may tap untill they repressurize. If you are concerned with cold weather pour points in winter, run the synthetic equivalent of the 10w 30.

9. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Fair enough,
    thanks again!
    -mark

10. misterturbo

misterturbo Member

I use 10W30 in mine... Capacity in the Honda Acty seems to be around 2.5L

11. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Thanks misterturbo, thats about what mine took too. I'm running 10w30 right now, but i may go thinner in the winter.
    -mark

12. d rock

d rock Member

5w-30 won't wreck a thing. neither will running 0w-30. i know of lots of guys who use 0-30 synthetic year round. there are a number of new car models that use 5-20 now. the oils of today are not the same as they were 10 or 15 years ago. good filtration is also important.
    for fun, wait till -25 and below and leave a litre of petro oil and a litre of synthetic out in the cold and have a look at them in the morning. funny how thick that petro oil can get!
    oh, and 2.5L is about what i put in my Acty!

13. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

Sorry, but I must disagree. While your truck isn't going to sieze up going down the road on 5w-30 or 0w-30 oil, thinner oils do not cling to the engine parts as well - especially the 0w-30 oil. It practically pours like water out of the jug. Your result is that you'll have little to no oil film on metal parts to protect them during startup. This WILL affect overall longevity of the engine.

14. d rock

d rock Member

they all perform up to the same specs,give or take, in this case up to the "30" designation, which means they all operate the same at 'engine operating temp'. the 0w-30, and 5w-30 are just designed to perform across a broader spectrum, the
    "W" standing for "winter", which in this case helps in the cool climates. you want oil to be 'thin' so it flows easily and provides less resistance, especially at start up in the cold. granted, running the 0w-30 (or really any oil) it does always pay to run the good stuff with a good filter :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2007
  15. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Also with synthetic, doesn't it cling better to the engine parts than conventional oil?
    -mark

16. d rock

d rock Member

thats what they tell us, among the other benefits. i've been using it (synthetic) for years, and have had its beneficial properties confirmed by both motorcycle and aircraft mechanics whom have done service work for me and the company i worked for.

17. d rock

d rock Member

oh, checking my owners manual, its lists 5w-30 for the cold temps, 10w-30 and up for the hotter months.

18. Pugmom

Pugmom New Member

Oil capacity - checked your owner's manual???!

You HAVE an owners manual! In English? Any suggestions on how I might locate a manual? 1991 Honda ACTY Attack. Thanks, Sandi

19. d rock

d rock Member

sorry- its all in japanese (except for the recommended oil viscosity)

20. unclejemima

unclejemima Member

Man, i've been looking for that EXACT phrase, just waiting for someone to utter it! Perfect. Now i feel comfortable with my oil choice. I just was not 100% sure because the motor is so much different (mainly displacement) compared to our American garbage i'm used to, 10-30 seemed to easy. i was not sure what the factory actually recommends. Its good to know for sure now!
    Thanks kindly!:D:D:D
    -mark

21. d rock

d rock Member

i'll have to take a photo of that page in the owner's manual and post it.

22. eaglebkh

eaglebkh New Member

Okay, this has been very informative, but what about the oil filter? Can a guy just waltz in to AutoZone and get one for an Acty? Or is the filter just an equivilent one form a different vehicle, like a civic or motorcycle?

A have just purchased my Honda Attack yesterday! Love it...

Thanks

23. eaglebkh

eaglebkh New Member

I have found the answer to my previous post. Guess I should have dug around a bit more before speaking.

Thanks again.