1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ohio Mini Truck noob

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by SDK1968, Apr 17, 2019.

1. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

doing the intro!

sdk1968 here... noob to mini's & been reading on here for a few weeks while deciding on purchase.

soooo much to take in & will try to hold the dumb questions until ive exhausted the search button!

using what ive already read here to find out stuff, heres what i THINK it is.

1995 Suzuki Carry 660 F6a
    4sp 4wd hi/lo/diff lock
    has A/C!!
    6 digit dash (50,000km on it)
    seatbelts say 1995
    fender stamp says DD51T-405405
    2" lift kit
    #300lb coil overs in front
    12x8x23 6ply tires on IPW's
    rear bumper (made it today!)

soon to be front hitch/bumper/winch :)

my mini.jpg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    MichTrucks and punimog like this.
  2. Jigs-n-fixtures

Jigs-n-fixtures Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard. There are quite a few helpful people here. And, most are interested in what folks do with their trucks. So, hang around ask questions, and keep us updated as you do fun things.

3. Bobacuda

Bobacuda Member

Beware that a 1995 truck is not 25 yrs old, so you won’t be able to tag it for road use.

4. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

thanks! i dound this place thru internet searching & have been saving pages & screen shotting numbers.

bobacuda: yeah im in ohio & we have a "new" mini truck law that went into affect 1-1-17...... you cant get them titled or licensed now when you buy them no matter how old they are here. so its gonna be farm use only for me.

gonna go back & ad some more info about my mini into that first post.

5. Bobacuda

Bobacuda Member

“Way to go Ohio...”

Kei truck’s are exponentially safer than motorcycles (which I like) or bicycles on public roads. However, if people want to ride motorcycles or bicycles and risk becoming an organ donor, who am I to tell them they no? Kei’s, motorcycles and bicycles have their unique uses and places on the road.

If I was unable to license a Kei, I would either not get one, or I would get the newest I could afford.

Reticent Sage likes this.
  6. Heiny

Heiny Member

Nice looking truck

7. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

Bobacuda (great name)

yeah at first i was looking at only titled models & then when my DMV handed me the print out of the law on them.... it changed my game a little. just went for the nicer one instead... IF this turns out to be a good working toy? Then maybe i'll move to a dump model later.

all im doing is farm use anyway. side x sides keep breaking & cost way too much compared to these.

thanks to all for the warm welcome. gonna go start a thread on my first full garage evening with Mini.

8. matt167

matt167 Active Member

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4511.214. Your DMV was mis guided.. A 25 year old truck would be exempt from FMVSS/ DOT regulation, and DOT actually considers them compliant through exemption so just as legal as an R32 GTR Skyline. The " mini truck laws " apply to trucks that were/ are registered as ATV/ low speed vehicles as that law is paired with

Now you might say " no that's not right ", it states " Mini truck" specifically. But, not really. As long as you have the DOT paperwork stating it is an exempt motor vehicle, then it's a motor vehicle and not a mini truck

9. SDK1968

SDK1968 Active Member

i hear ya & tried the already had a title, was approved as a vehicle. we have to do the same thing with dune buggy's here.

The truck i did purchase is only 24 years old currently, doesnt really matter on this one yet right now.

it wasnt worth the fight for me with my main hobby, (building firearms) i do too much business with the city po, county sheriffs dept & my local Sta Po's to jeopardize it with fighting over something im gonna use on the farm 95% of the time.

once ive decided if this is gonna be a perma toy & see how much i actually use it? might revisit this with everything you guys teach me

10. matt167

matt167 Active Member

once they are imported, you can't legally change title status, ever. It's part of the by laws on the DOT exemption. DD51T ran essentially unchanged from 1992-1998. That is generally why I say going newer is better if you plan on running off road only.. The 1999's brought in EFI and more interior room

11. Botl01

Botl01 Active Member

Nice looking truck. Welcome to the forum.