1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Off-road fail...

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by spaner, Oct 23, 2012.

1. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Driving along, on the gravel road, at 60+kph with major washboard...

Lost the steering, major fail...

I just kept steering to the right, and brought it to a stop. Turns out that I had lost the right A-arm mounting bolt. Not sure if it broke in half, or if it had just spun the nut and dropped the bolt...don't know...:p

Jacked via the right engine cross mount. Had to re-seat the right front drive shaft. Two-foot-kick to the wheel...checked it, two-foot-kick...again...inserted the A-arm and locked it down with my favorite phillips screw driver. Locked it down with a hurk-strap, from the rear, to the front factory tow point. This allowed the shaft to be wrenched to the side, and to allow it to be sinched into place.

That's why I love these trucks, try to do this with an F-150...

100kph, all the way to home base. Drove like a complete truck. Just had to be carful around the corners...

:pop:

Trey 4x4 likes this.
  2. cbarlow

cbarlow Member

Wow that could have ended badly glad it all turned out good

3. starpuss

starpuss Member

you Drove home like that! & i thought i was nutZ

Close to the same thing broke on my old VW fox, but back wheel Little bit of Rebar that i use to keep in between my front seats got me home
    (was Jumping Train Tracks when i was 17 LOL!

4. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Canada's Mcguyver strikes again :) proof you should always have tools and straps in the truck... CAA is for sissies :)

Trey 4x4 likes this.
  5. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

Spaner ur one mad sob. A screw driver and a strap really u trust that at 100 kph ur nuts but that's y it's so fun to read ur stories

6. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Ha, ha, sounds worse than it was I guess. Chance of failure in the 70km trip I figured was less than 1-in-10,000. Took me 6 minutes to do this fix from stop to start. Then I drove for 10 km, checked the hurk for an extra "click". 10 more, no slack in the retaining strap. Then 40 on the highway, barely got another click into it. The hurk is there just to retain the screew driver and the a-arm is retained by the screew driver; no pressure from one to the other really.
    Maybe I'll get a pic of it before I replace the bolt so that you can see the configuration. It just really can't fail.

7. firejonny89

firejonny89 Member

but a screw driver hold that much i guess it does they dont weigh that much and i've pried pretty hard with one i guess it should hold just kinda like a u did what.

8. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

shear force right?
    You'd have to have the shaft chop into three pieces.
    I guess one cut would leave it able to vibrate/fall out.
    Not worried at all. Drove around town for a while the next day, ha, ha. I know it "sounds" crazy...but it's not.

9. Acerguy

Acerguy Moderator Staff Member

....wha? Duct tape and bailing wire sure...but rebar?!? :D

Trey 4x4 likes this.
  10. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Yea, rebar is pretty amazing stuff man.
    When I was young, I saw my dad do some pretty crazy off-road repairs from a 6' piece, hacksaw, and 3lb mallet.

AND, I know why you had a 12incher under the seat starpuss; works real good for that too...:)

Ha, ha...the hay-wire for F-150 off-roaders....he, he..

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  11. TamiPaulus

TamiPaulus Member

If I'll be there, I am sure I will be a dead one. If that was some axle problem from a long time? Whatever it would be I must suggest you to give a serious attention to avoid any accident.

12. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Ha, ha...I should have used a bic pen, just to say...he, he

Although, with the number of M8s on these trucks, I'm on the lookout for a length of 5/16 cold-rolled to throw into the back of the truck.

13. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Last trip of the season coming up so went out to get him fixed...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

moto_ArmPeging.jpg moto_burs.jpg

kcb_1983 and Trey 4x4 like this.
  14. cbarlow

cbarlow Member

So I look under my truck the other day and the nut on that bolt is missing! So I almost had your problem

15. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Duo, mofo...
    Don't worry, it's a multi-point connection. So, it's not like it puts you into the ditch. Steer into it, and slow down. Wasn't a real big deal.
    I've had a lower ball fail at speed on a D-50, not the same control loss. The D-50 turned into a onesided lowrider and made a lot of noise; stopped real quick.:eek:
    I've got a cheap 3/8s in there right now but ordered some metric grade 9s with "nylocks"...done and DONE.

16. cbarlow

cbarlow Member

Yea I went to lowes and got grade 8 hardware

17. spaner

spaner Well-Known Member

Hmm, I guess you might have a catastrophic reaction after all. My A-arm, inner, never hit the ground...slider.
    Guess it would turn you pretty quick. Never thought of that for others, it came apart, but just slid in-and-out, not up-and-down...