1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

number of mini trucks imported in 2008 for Canada and the US

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by steve_nagoya, Feb 16, 2009.

1. steve_nagoya

steve_nagoya Member

Does anyone have facts about the number of mini trucks imported into the US and Canada in 2007/2008? If you do, is it fact that can be backed up? I have my banker asking and I need to show him facts.

Thanks!

2. jtpc

jtpc Member

?? I would be curious to know as well.
    I bet the EPA would have some info, however it would be hard to piece it all together probably. (assuming they would share the stats)

3. steve_nagoya

steve_nagoya Member

I've been doing google searches for nearly 2 hours with no luck. HELP!

4. steve_nagoya

steve_nagoya Member

This is what I have found out thus far. I don't think the numbers are totally accurate, but very close to the actual numbers.

We called our freight forwarder here in Nagoya. We were told the HS Code they use to export all our mini trucks to the US and Canada.

We then called JETRO and told them what we're looking for. We gave them the HS Code and they gave us a number for Canada and the US.

The HS Code states the unit have a/c. While this is a blanket statement for the US and Canada, I can see the logic. If you have a container of trucks and 1 has a/c, then you use that HS Code.

Also, since this HS Code doesn't discriminate between new or used, the number we were given may be off a bit. But, other than new farm tractors with a/c, what else would be sent? This HS Code doesn't include passenger vehicles.

So, for 2008 we got the number of 9599 units to the US and 1441 units to Canada. We were told that some of the trucks may have been sent under a different HS Code, but since our freight forwarder uses the HS Code, and they are about the largest in the business, I would imagine other freight forwarders would use it too.

5. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

The US number sounds inline with what I saw on a power point demonstration some time ago. I tried to find it but I couldn't. Showed minitruck growth in numbers for past 3 years. Something like 250, 1100, 3000 units for 05, 06, 07. Was projected to 10,000 or more units for 08 if I remember correctly.

-Greg

6. steve_nagoya

steve_nagoya Member

I think I found that power point presentation online yesterday. But if I recall, it was a customs and border security discussion about how to complete an import regulation form and how mini trucks are classified. That presentation was not clear how mini trucks are classified.

I'm glad I got the numbers here in Japan.