1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noobie w/ deck van question.

Discussion in 'Daihatsu Hi jet' started by crashxx, Jun 15, 2008.

1. crashxx

crashxx Member

Hello all, I've got the mini truck bug. My question is I need a model that will accomidate my wife and two kids (8yrs & 5 yrs). The best thing I've seen is the "deck van" models. Any thoughts, pros/cons is appreciated. Can anyone tell me which tranny to look for, ie 4spd or 5spd? Can you get them with diff locks and locking rear axle? We like to play on the river so 4X4 is a must. Got to get rid of the old K5 blazer due to fuel $. Anyway any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. zbadboy

zbadboy Member

Deck vans are illegally imported. You are going to pay a good price for one. I will admit though,....I would like to have one.

Jeff

3. crashxx

crashxx Member

Thats interesting. Why are they not legally imported? Do you know if this prevents any legalization for the street? Any other models you could fit two adults & two kids in? Thanks for the info.

4. zbadboy

zbadboy Member

Mini trucks are imported as a 2 seater vehicle. Deck Vans are considered a Passenger vehicle which does not fall into the same import category.

5. zbadboy

zbadboy Member

Sorry posted before I was finished.

No idea if that effects registration.

Third, You and your wife up front and the kids strapped in the back with jump seats.

Jeff

6. GR.mike

GR.mike Member

We have several deck vans for sell, but like it was stated they are "pricey":(
    They are street legal in several states from what I have been told (not here though-Missouri).
    As far as being illegal to bring in that is somewhat true but so are new model Kei trucks and you see several of those also. But once they are here it has nothing to do with getting them street legal (from what I have been told)

7. larryn2o

larryn2o Member

they are popular here . i've seen 4 and 5 speed in 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive. 5 speed is the way to go this lets it Cruise at 55 MPH with a top speed of over 70. did notice that some did NOT have back seat belts. not hard to add , most dealers get about an extra $1,000 for the vans . saw one in the Baton-rouge free paper advertised as a (crew van) .

8. crashxx

crashxx Member

Thanks for the replys guys! I decided to just get a regular cab and do an extended cab conversion. Picked up one today. Now I'm on the look out for a Hi/Lo transfer case, a rear axle w/ axle lock, and a front differential w/ diff lock. Maybe wish full thinking but if I found these parts, I'd buy them. I got a 96 HiJet w/ A/C.