1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie RANT: Manitoba, Canada Dealer (If you call that a dealer)

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by Zippy-Do-Da, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Zippy-Do-Da

Zippy-Do-Da New Member

I was so hyped to check out some kei's today, even had $6000 to spend, but it turned out to be a dud. I don't think I would even call him a dealer, but more like a fly-by-nighter trying to make a buck. After looking at a rusty, beat down selection of subaru's (and one diahatsu) on the lot, I was not impressed. I was on my way home and found his show truck on his property. I looked at it, it was in very nice shape, and it was a Diahatsu Climber. Called him, and he wanted 5900. I though that was a nice price compared to his other **** mobiles. Offered him 5500 and he says he will have to check with his co-worker....he calls me back and says no, 5900 is the minimum. "Minimum" I say, ....and he goes on yamerring about how he sold 5 last week at about 6500.... The coversation ended pretty quick after I told him about his crap vs decent prices that are within 400 bucks. I am disapointed, but there is always tomorrow to spend my 5.5g's

OK, I am done. Just pisses me off cause there is no other dealers in the area, which means I have to go out of province, which means I have to re-saftey the vehicle. (Wink-Wink Sask, Alt or Ont)

Oh, and the dealer is www.ultimateimports.ca

Don't waste your time there.

2. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

there was a guy on here with a mini truck for sale in the peg. do some searching.

3. Subaru

Subaru Member

HMMMM-me thinks I am not to far off on my asking prices then.And I thought the minimal rust on mine made it into the rougher category.
    After importing mine I realised what these guys are buying at auctions,or can buy and turn around and sell 'cheap'.There are trucks that sell for 100 at auction,and those seem to be the real lemons out there.
    Keep searching,you will find someone who bought the higher quality auction trucks,and who will sell at fair price.

4. Zippy-Do-Da

Zippy-Do-Da New Member

All that were there were Subaru's. 2 of them looked alright, but I didn't get a price. (viewed without seller). Funny thing is that I went to his farm house on the property to knock on the door, and there was a nice daily driver mitsu or something...not sure what it was off hand...SCM or something

5. Subaru

Subaru Member

AAHHHH-drive the nicest one you have around to lure customers in-damn salesmen eh!

6. kepow

kepow Member

Zip Im not understanding why you are angry. If you didnt want to buy his crappier looking trucks, fine, no one is forcing you. If he doesnt want to drop his asking price on his nice one, thats his choice. I dont see where you have any right to potentially hurt his business by spouting off here just because you were too cheep to fork out the extra 400 bucks.

7. Zippy-Do-Da

Zippy-Do-Da New Member

I didn't say that I was being forced. My point is that he was selling a crap truck and a nice truck at a $400 dollar difference, and he was not willing to budge and give me his nice truck by dropping $400. I think the prices where high in the first place and was not willing on spending an extra $400. Also, I don't live in the US where these are readly available. I actually have to drive 10+ hours to go to the closest dealer. As far as hurting his business, I am a consumer, he is a dealer. I have every right to report on my dissatisfaction of doing business with this dealer, whether here or anywhere else.

8. Zippy-Do-Da

Zippy-Do-Da New Member

I didn't say that I was being forced. My point is that he was selling a crap truck and a nice truck at a $400 dollar difference, and he was not willing to budge and give me his nice truck by dropping $400. I think the prices where high in the first place and was not willing on spending an extra $400 Plus tax. Also, I don't live in the US where these are readly available. I actually have to drive 10+ hours to go to the closest dealer. As far as hurting his business, I am a consumer, he is a dealer. I have every right to report on my dissatisfaction of doing business with this dealer, whether here or anywhere else. Especially when the dealer can't even send pictures via internet and you actually have to drive there to see them. Maybe this will make people think twice before going on a cross country journey to see his crap.

9. kepow

kepow Member

Zip I guess its just a difference in philosophies. His trucks his price either buy 1 or quityerbitchen

10. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

wow, zip. those are some pretty harsh words. you say you have to drive 10+ hours to get to the nearest dealer besides this guy, huh? sounds to me like he's got a corner on the market.

let me just see if i have this right...

you didn't want to spend an extra $400 but the next closest dealer is a 10 hr drive. plus the gas money to get there, a trip that long is going to need at least one stop for food and some road snacks and pop.

and you are pissed off because he won't send you pix via email? wow dude, you need to relax a little bit. i remember when there was no internet or email for pix.

i don't think you should be flaming the guy because he didn't meet the standards of what you thought a good mini truck salesman with good prices should be, he's just selling trucks and trying to make money. if he is the only guy in a 500 mile radius, of course his prices will be higher, he has no competition. remember the golden rule of marketing... WHATEVER THE MARKET WILL BEAR.

11. Luckydog

Luckydog Member

EX-Car guy speaks out....

FIRST - you didn't do business with him, you didn't buy the truck -

SECOND - If you found a nice SUBARU for under $6000 good work, I paid more for mine

THIRD - You did the right thing, if you are not happy with what you see, walk away - too many people get emotional about the sale and make stupid decisions.

I used to be in the car business, it kills me when I hear people complain that the dealer didn't want to LOWER his price to make a deal - come on people - have you ever tried to buy a shirt for less than they are asking? Please remember that the guy selling the truck is making about 20% if he's lucky and the guy selling you the shirt is making about 300%.... think about.

Maybe if you really wanted the truck you wouldn't be so cheap:)

Sorry about that little jab at the end but years of hearing customers like you bitch about stuff like this gets old real fast.

12. glenn

glenn Member

13. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

GOD! Am I glad I retired from the "car business". The memories are "flooding" back!!!
    Tmikewww
    (tom)

14. TRAX and HORNS

TRAX and HORNS Well-Known Member

Zippy, come to Texas and Ill sell you a nice 92/93 Daihatsu or Suzuki with less than 70000kms for 4800.00. Ill even send pictures. You gotta get it to CA.

15. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

i still say look up buddy on here from the peg.

"Truck is a 1990, 660cc, 57,000kms. very good condition overall. new thermostat. asking $6500. truck is in wpg"

pm me for a phone # for guy.

16. John Canfield

John Canfield Member

An object is worth what a well-informed buyer will pay a well-informed seller. The fellow I bought my truck from wouldn't deal either on the price (which was quite a surprise.) The truck was so clean, had such low mileage, and drove so nicely, it was an easy decision to pay his asking price after mulling it over for a few minutes.

17. Tovel

Tovel New Member

I didn't think anyone in Southern Ontario knew about Rainy River.

There is a great dealer in Fort Frances, that is where I bought mine from, and that is no 10 hours from Winkler, that is for sure.

18. glenn

glenn Member

19. Zippy-Do-Da

Zippy-Do-Da New Member

He won't be the only dealer here for long.....anyone can get a container of trucks to Canada, all it takes is cash.

20. Subaru

Subaru Member

Unfortunately,CASH is the easy part.
    I have probably spent 8 hours per truck, detailing them,this included stripping the inside and cleaning,getting ready for OOP by checking brakes,front end,electrical,oil changes,and have yet to include any time doing paper work for customs and organizing a bonded wharehouse for storage while waiting container inspection,add your advertising etc.......
    Its all not too bad ,but do not go in thinking it will be a walk in the park:frustration:
    All I can say is buy the best trucks you can afford-leads to less work for you when the arrive,and have your exporter thouroughly clean before loading:)

21. Zippy-Do-Da

Zippy-Do-Da New Member

I hear ya. However, I am going to be targeting the offroad market though, and only safety on demand or as demand dictates.

22. glenn

glenn Member

you forgot to add "dag nabit" in front and "if I have anything to do with it" on the end......

again.....good luck...I think you'll need it

lol, glenn:D

23. tmikewww

tmikewww Member

Glen, You're a "Stich"! Or is it, You keep me in "stiches"?
    Tmikewww

24. Meesho

Meesho Member

Buddy, you give Winnipeg'ers a bad name. It is no wonder why we are known as the cheapest bastards in Canada.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  25. RuzzP

RuzzP New Member

save up an extra grand and come to yorkton sask, its about 6 hours one way for u but they have nice trucks

26. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Here's a tip:
    Check the date first before posting reply :eek:
    [​IMG]

27. MAXOUT

MAXOUT Member

ZIP - You got no class....:frustration:

Look at it this way another $400.00 buys you a lot better truck? and $5500.00 sounds like a fair deal. forget about how much he wants for the crappy trucks cus you didn't want one to begin with.;)

28. glenn

glenn Member

hey tripper....some people you have to handle "gingerly"....lol.....they might get offended.....:D

glenn:pop:

29. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Just seen a whole lot of threads come to life lately and I was guilty of it a few times
    myself as a noob on other forums.

Had some seasoned users point it out and it's usually the first thing I check on a post

30. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

Hi Zippy
    i worked in sales for 10 years before i opened my bike shop. i used to sell ATV's and sled's and to the customers that would come into that store, the price, no matter how low, was always to high. the guys on this thread are right...just because you didn't get what you wanted for the price you wanted to pay, doesn't make the guy selling these trucks is bad. maybe his truck were over priced for there condition or not, you can't deside what he should sell his trucks for, unless you buy into his company so you then would have the right. i know everyone wants the bast deal and i am one of them, you would never think of asking at a chain store at the till for a cheaper price. Lucky is right (his number is a bit high:D) about the mark-up that chains have, and small business are nowhere near that:( so i would say...keep looking your truck is waiting for you, and you will know when you see it, being upset takes up too much time and there shouldn't be a black cloud over buying a mini truck.
    just so you know...my first truck i went to buy did not work out because things were said that turned out not to be true, so i just walled away :)
    good luck on find yours...there a blast!!