1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie over here

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by charles123, Jul 13, 2019.

1. charles123

charles123 New Member

hey guys. Super new to this. I don’t even own a mini truck yet. Had my eye on a few actys and I was about to pick one up but reading about the restrictions in Ohio stopped me for a second. Can anyone help clarify the Ohio regulations? If a acty gets imported under the 25 year rule do I still have to follow the 35mph road rule or does that only apply to newer ones/non titled ones?

Thanks in advance as I know literally nothing on this subject or much about mini trucks at all.

2. Dmscar

Dmscar Member

Welcome to the site!

I don’t have one either but slowly gaining knowledge in this as I go so I can hopefully import a Suzuki Carry in the 6 months or so.

So the first thing to be very clear on is if you buy from a dealer if it was imported before it was 25 years old you will never be able to get it registered as a regular car and legally be allowed to go above 35mph.

Now if the dealer if you buy one from a dealer has the appropriate import documents and shows where it wasn’t imported as a “arc off-road use only” then you should be able to get it registered. I would google “how to import a Japan car with the 25 year old rule” and it’ll explain all the forms you’ll need.

Now the 25 year old rule is a federal rule which supersedes the state so what rules they have on mini trucks don’t matter if it was legally imported under the 25 year old rule. Some dmvs I have read will fight you due to their possible ignorance so you would have to show them the legality with federal law that you can.