1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie? - Mini Truck for a Carpenter?

Discussion in 'General Truck Info' started by curiouscanuck, Jan 4, 2009.

1. curiouscanuck

curiouscanuck New Member

Hey folks,

Total mini truck gorbie here with first post.

I was looking at getting a japanese import truck to use for a handyman carpentry business, then I discovered the crazy world of mini trucks. :eek:

The box size would work for me to haul tools around, but I'd have to regularily haul supplies (once a week up to 40 kms) that wouldn't fit in the back. So... I'm talking about 500 pounds of tools in the back + a small utility trailer (800 pounds) with 12 sheets of plywood in it. Any more and I'd just get the lumber yard to deliver.

Questions are:

- Can a mini handle this kind of load?

- Can you get full hard canopies for these things?

- How are the 2wd versions, I'm not going offroading in the thing but will drive winter roads and the only one's I can find with a box on the back are 2wd.

Thanks for any help.

Matt

2. jtpc

jtpc Member

Most mini-trucks can haul 350kg (771 lbs) in the bed. However, you probably will have trouble with you higher speeds when hauling full load and with uphill acceleration. Keep in mind the small small engine (660cc) here.

Yep, I've seen some good canopies and the dealer I bought mine from even had one with the whole bed is a tall box instead of the traditional bed. So you may find something like that (though not sure if it was a 4x4).

But as for hauling full load and towing the trailer at the same time, I don't know. It could probably do it with slow speeds, but not higher speeds in my opinion or up hills.

~Josh

3. curiouscanuck

curiouscanuck New Member

Thanks for the reply Josh.

That's my concern right there. I need to be able to go at least 60km/hr around town fully loaded without wrecking the vehicle.

It's that old problem of only needing a small utility vehicle most of the time, but on occasion having to move a larger load.

Matt

4. jtpc

jtpc Member

Hey Matt, wait and see what others on here think. I could be wrong. When I say high speeds I am talking 80-100 km/hr. Who knows, maybe it could do 60.
    But yeah, 45 hp only does but so much ya know.

5. speedy67

speedy67 Member

Find a Subaru Sambar that's supercharged, they have the engine in the back, so 2WD wouldn't be an issue. Honda has the rear engine as well, but I don't think that they are up to carruiying a load as well as the others. Diahatsu's seem to have light springs as well. The other makes with the engine up front, you're better off with 4WD.

Some Suzuki cary's are turbocharged.

As far as a canopy, if you're a carpenter, build your own.

Towing is an issue, these little guys don't have much on the back-end to mount a stout hitch to, it can be done, but some thought needs to go into it.

They are a great little runabout, for odd jobs. But to drive one daily, I don't think I'd be into it. I think they are great on an acreage or farm, if you get it inspected you can occassionaly drive into town if you need something. Personally, if I wanted a small truck to do what you describe, I'd go with a Toyota or Nissan, not that I'm discounting KEI trucks, but I think you'd be dissapointed.

6. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

15 sheets of 3/4" ply in the back... no problem doing 100kph... i've also had 3 sheets of 4'x8'x1/4" steel in the back = 1000lbs still able to run 100kph and stop with no problem.

[​IMG]

7. Meesho

Meesho Member

Wow... you are a hero!! I wonder if you punch it in 2wd, if it would do a wheelie... haha!

8. curiouscanuck

curiouscanuck New Member

Speedy,

I think your right about the 4wd... I was hoping someone would jump in and say how great their 2wd was in the snow... guys?... guys? Probably not going to happen...

I'm sure I could build something neat and clean, but it would likely weigh quite a bit more than a production fiberglass or aluminum topper. I'll have to do some more research on building something reasonably light.

I'm also looking for something more distinctive than your standard pick-up. But I understand your recommendation of a regular Toyota. It will be a bit of a risk if I go this way. Mighty Milt's picture gives me hope though.

Anyone hauling a trailer?

Matt

9. Timetripper

Timetripper Moderator

Sambar strong like bull :D :D
    [​IMG]

10. speedy67

speedy67 Member

I think that a boosted Sambar is about the only choice for you. Or else a Turbo Carry, if one can be found in Canada.

As for a trailer hitch, that will be a custom-built thing. With as small and light as these little trucks are, if you do go with a trailer, I think that electric brakes on the trailer would be a wise investment

It will sure be a rolling billboard for you.

If you're up for it, what would be a real head turner, would be to fashion a fifth wheel highboy trailer for it, and make it look like a Big Rig. Complete with air horns, exhaust stacks, clearancle lights. How about a beer keg cut in half mounted on each side to look like fuel tanks?

11. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

There you go! I thought a few times about putting clearance (chicken) lights on mine.

12. curiouscanuck

curiouscanuck New Member

I'd love to see that... :pop:

But, I'd have a hard time selling a project like that to my other half. maybe when the kids are gone... in like 18 years...

Matt

13. curiouscanuck

curiouscanuck New Member

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check the archives for more info on those models.

Matt

14. Subaru

Subaru Member

I like the boosted Sambar recomendation----we need to talk:D

15. Ravk

Ravk Member

I had my '89 Honda Acty Attack loaded with sand up to the top of the sides (1' X 4' X 6').
    For anyone who knows, that is 1400 lbs of wet sand.
    My top speed with this weight was 60 kph, 40 kph with the 8% grade hill in St.Albert.

I have run my Acty in 2 wd in summer and had no problems with a load (800 lbs) at 80 kph. Winter I select the AWD so that I can actually move on slippery snow with out a load.

This is my daily driver, 36 km to and from work, 100 km to the cabin. No problems.

16. curiouscanuck

curiouscanuck New Member

Ravk,

When it's loaded in 2wd on the snow is it any worse than your average pick-up?

thanks,

Matt

17. jtpc

jtpc Member

wow, that's a testimony to the longevity of the Honda actys.

18. Ravk

Ravk Member

Just put it in 2 WD and drove to work, empty box, fresh snow, -18C..... NIGHTMARE!!!! The rear end did not want to stay where it was suppose to. Picked up some electrical supplies (total 250 Lbs) smartened up like a regular 2 WD pickup.
    Reset the trans to AWD (a pin on the side of the trans, no shifter on this one) and it was like driving on dry pavement, even on geardown and light braking.
    You gotta love AWD!

19. curiouscanuck

curiouscanuck New Member

Thanks Ravk,

Exactly the feedback I was looking for... Now I'll have to find a SC Sambar 4x4... Anyone?

Matt

20. jtpc

jtpc Member

:) I have AWD and sure wish I didn't. The ability to go from 4x4 to 2wd is a major advantage on fuel economy.
    But I realize that the Honda's smart awd system doesn't waste as much fuel as subaru's because you aren't always powering all 4 wheels until your truck needs it.

21. Meesho

Meesho Member

LOL, what kind of serious tradesman shows up to the jobsite in a mini truck??? JUST JOKING

Why don't you buy that Liteace Diesel someone was selling here. That thing would be much better suited for contruction. Turbo or No-Turbo... With or without a load, Mini trucks are not speed or power demons.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  22. curiouscanuck

curiouscanuck New Member

Did I say I was serious tradesman... ;)

But, seriously, good question... One I've been asking myself...

Reasons for considering a mini truck:

When I'm working for others I just have to get my tools around the sites, no materials to speak of... and I'll bet I can go places the guys in the f350 can only dream about.

If I'm working for myself It is smaller projects (like tiling a floor for example) so the load is not going to be that big. However, the odd larger load will need to be tackled, so I still have some doubts.

Branding in and around town is the biggie for me. A mini-truck is a great way to be noticed and I feel it also says something about the individual driving it... someone who is ecologically minded, creative and not afraid to think outside the box.

Now all that being said the best vehicle for tradespersons in terms of convenience in my mind is a big van. But these vehicles are boring, expensive to buy and to run.

I'd considered a Hiace size van, but they all seem a little pricey (well for me at least...). I also wonder how parts etc... would be. It seems the mini trucks have a pretty extensive network of enthusiast/importers.

I'll shut up now and stop trying to convince myself - just that mini's look so cool.

We'll see how it goes - I gotta get out there now and drive a couple.

Matt

23. orletafc

orletafc New Member

Mighty Milt with the tail side open you only had about 1ft sticking out, right? I am thinking of buying a Carry for carrying Drywall around town and 15sheets of 4x8 5/8" is usually my load. Now I am thinking of hauling it around the Lower Mainland in Vancouver, BC. How high are the sides?

24. Mighty Milt

Mighty Milt Active Member

i think the bed is aobut 6.5 ft? if i remember correctly and the sides are about 10" high... not sure though. i don't have the truck anymore, maybe someone else can chime in and give you exact measurements.

25. oldsnowman

oldsnowman Member

my mitsu's box is 6'4" long inside with the gate up and the sides are 12"'s. like the pulling a trailer idea...i thought that if i could find a box and rear part of the frame, it would be one sweet set-up...one box after the other:D. i don't think will have any trouble hauling and pulling the load you want up to 60 kph, just don't short shift it :D:D

wyatt