1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie here. Importing a Sambar or a Hijet soon

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Ohkei Dohkei, May 24, 2018.

1. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

My initial test run is mostly positive. It cranks right up and runs through the gears fine. The main disappointment is that the AC doesn't work. The compressor doesn't even engage so that is the top thing on my to do list.

2. matt167

matt167 Active Member

A/C never works. And the compressor won't run without system pressure. When you go to recharge the system, you jump the pressure switch or the compressor itself until it has enough pressure. It is an R-12 system so either have it serviced or convert it to R-134a

3. Bobacuda

Bobacuda Member

The compressor in mine engages, but the system has damn little pressure and does not cool. Since it is R12, I am waiting for a mechanic friend to get past shoulder surgery so we can convert it to R134.

4. Ohkei Dohkei

Mine came set up for 134A.

5. matt167

matt167 Active Member

are you sure? Japan used R-12 until the 2000's. I have the compressor for a 2001 Forester STI and it's marked R-12

6. Ohkei Dohkei

Yep. It has R-134A stamped all over it.

7. Ohkei Dohkei

Well I got an insurance waiver for it today and will try to get a title and tag for it tomorrow. I need to get a photo of the VIN# but I haven't been able to find it. Any clues? I did get the A/C to run 3 min on/3 min off and when it's on it's good and cold. The low pressure side looks good but I don't have a gauge for the high pressure side. One thing that is really strange is the A/C compressor automatically disconnects at idle regardless of how long it's run. I wonder if this is a switch of some sort to keep it running at idle? It might be necessary. On the bright side I took it for it's first highway ride today. I got it up to 115 kph before I chickened out, but I'd guess 120 kph is max. That's better than I expected. I'll start a new thread in the Subaru category with the future plans as this is a pretty long introduction thread. Thanks for putting up with me!

8. Bobacuda

Bobacuda Member

My 1990 has a metal tag in the cabin on the “kick panel” area that is by the left side of passenger’s foot. It also has the numbers stamped on the outside of right side of the frame, underneath and to the front of the spare.

Ohkei Dohkei likes this.
  9. Ohkei Dohkei

Thanks Bobacuda, It was right where you said!