1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie here. Importing a Sambar or a Hijet soon

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Ohkei Dohkei, May 24, 2018.

1. Ohkei Dohkei

Ohkei Dohkei Active Member

Hi everyone, I signed up some time ago, but did not get permission to post until today for some reason. I'm actively seeking a Sambar or a Hijet to import for off road use only at my hunting camp. I have gotten tons of information from the site. Thanks for having me. I'll post pics once I get one bobbing this way.

AZmini-t likes this.
  2. AZmini-t

AZmini-t Member

Welcome! Who are you importing with? Where are you located?

3. Botl01

Botl01 Active Member

Welcome, I found my Sambar through Craigs list.

These guys look like they have some good prices, they are on the for sale pages of this web site.
    LoneStarMiniTrucks.com

4. DWils

DWils Member

It took a few days for me to get approved too after signing up for the site. Looks like your profile says you're in Georgia. I found my Acty van on craigslist - you might have some luck searching on there too. I didn't have too much luck for Actys on eBay, but the market may be different for Sambars or Hijets. Welcome to the forum! There is a lot of good information already on here but it may take some time for any new questions that pop up to get answered.

5. AZmini-t

AZmini-t Member

Just FYI, the hijets seem like they have a significantly higher presence in US than the sambar. Might be easier to get what you want looking for the diahatsu as opposed to the subaru.

6. Ohkei Dohkei

Thanks all. Yes, I'm in Georgia. Currently working with Japancardirect. It's just taking some time for the right one to show up at auction with all the goodies that I want on it. One came up early last week (my first attempt), but I got outbid. Another one came up late last week, but the inspector gave it a thumbs down.

7. Ohkei Dohkei

I finally won an auction on a high mileage 94 Sambar high roof with 4wd, A/C, and Diff Lock! I won't be able to import it until next year to get under the 25 year rule, but that's ok, I'm going to get some maintenance items taken care of while it is still where the parts are.
    2018-11-15_22h22_45.png

zxrx and Bobacuda like this.
  8. Bobacuda

Bobacuda Member

I'm somewhat jealous. I appear to have mastered the art of "just bidding close, but not bidding enough." You still have a wait till April, however. Gives you lots of time to plan for it.
    Bob

9. Ohkei Dohkei

Yep, I'm ok with it. I think it can ship in March as long as it doesn't get here until April.. I know exactly what you mean about being close. I've bid on at least 4 that I didn't get. The ones I didn't bid on would go for peanuts, and the ones I did bid on seemed to draw more interest. I think the reason I was able to get this one so reasonable is that it is only 24.6 years old and the bid was pretty late at night over here.

10. Botl01

Botl01 Active Member

Nice looking truck. I’m sure you’ll have fun with it.

11. Bobacuda

Bobacuda Member

You are right about the date for legal import scaring people away...it scared me away. We also seem to have employed the same bidding scheme - avoid the ones that go for peanuts and bid on the ones that must have gold stashed on them. :)
    LOL, though, glad to hear it went to an individual and not just a retailer (they get their share).
    Bob

Ohkei Dohkei likes this.
  12. Ohkei Dohkei

Here's what I'm getting done while it's over there.
    New spark plugs
    New timing belt and tensioner
    Oil Change, filter, and new oil pan gasket
    New Battery
    New Wiper blades
    New Air filter
    replace right front turn assembly
    Drivers side mirror

Any other common problem with sambars that I need to address, or common parts that fail? I was thinking of going ahead and buying a carburetor and having them throw it in the glovebox for future use.

Bobacuda likes this.
  13. Botl01

Botl01 Active Member

If they are replacing the timing belt and tensioner you might want to go ahead and have the water pump replaced.
    Also, you might want to see what tires they have on it. They are expensive to have shipped to the USA.

Sounds like you will have a almost new truck when it arrives. Post some pictures.

Bobacuda likes this.
  14. Jim Nelson

Jim Nelson Active Member

One thing I have found on the 3 fresh imports that I have bought over the years is that all the cooling systems were a mess and on 2 the fuel systems were full of gunk. It took 2 or 3 flushings to get them clean and gas tanks had to come off for a good cleaning.
    They weren't Sambars but 2 Suzukis and a Daihatsu but I think everyone over there uses the same products. I would guess that their coolant is a mixture of Sea water and battery acid. Just a couple of other things to look at.

Bobacuda likes this.
  15. Bobacuda

Bobacuda Member

You are having a good list of common things changed. I have thought about doing a similar thing - if I ever won a bid on one I want. I would add the water pump and those two oil seals to the list since they will be in there for the timing belt.

Just curious, roughly what is this costing in JPY? I ask about the cost in JPY so the rest of us can convert to our own currencies.

16. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

absolutely change the waterpump, my first Sambar they only changed the timing belt not the waterpump, at 80,000km it seized and shredded the belt on the highway

17. Ohkei Dohkei

Thanks, I'll see if I can catch them in time to do the water pump while they are in there. As for tires, I got a set of 145r12 Super Diggers to start off with.

Attached Files:

18. Ohkei Dohkei

So far the truck cost me 15,000 and the repairs/parts/labor and transport cost another 105,000 Ocean freight/insurance 97,000 Japancardirect fee 99,000 I get 60 days free storage, then I'll pay 500 yen a day, so about 25,000 yen= 341,000 JPY so far. Plus i'm sure I'll get a few surprises by the time I get it out of US customs. I also had to pay for inspections that I had done on cars that I did not win so although it wasn't part of THIS vehicle cost, it did cost me another 10,000 and change for that.

19. Bobacuda

Bobacuda Member

thanks for the money info

20. Ohkei Dohkei

I was able to get the water pump order in before they started the timing belt. Thanks folks!

21. Ohkei Dohkei

Well I have some bad news. After receiving better photos of the vehicle the other day and still not being able to spot the diff lock switch, I specifically asked for a pic of the diff lock switch. Guess what? It doesn't have diff lock even though Subaru checked the vin and said it did. And of course they've already completed the repairs and put on the tires and such. There's 6 months of Japanese auction life that I'll never get back. So now I have a truck that wasn't what I asked for. I'm pretty disappointed.

22. Bobacuda

Bobacuda Member

Just curious...do they compensate you in any way for their mistake?

23. Botl01

Botl01 Active Member

Sorry to hear about your truck.

24. Ohkei Dohkei

Yeah, I'm pretty bummed. I'm giving them an opportunity to make it right. I'll report either way.

Bobacuda and cmoore like this.
  25. matt167

matt167 Active Member

If the auction sheet says diff lock, it has a diff lock button at least. I can't read Japanese, auction sheet but if it had diff lock it would be noted in the bottom left comments where there are none.

I wouldn't worry about diff lock though. Nice to say you have it, but doubtful that you'll need it. Ride the brakes just a tad does the same thing if you get stuck

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  26. Ohkei Dohkei

If it were only that simple. Not only does it not have diff lock, but the vin on the frame does not match that on the body, suggesting someone swapped it over to a high roof. The exporter recommended not to export due to the discrepancy.

27. Maximal

Maximal Active Member

someone dropped the ball there, are they going to refund you?

28. Bobacuda

Bobacuda Member

Yikes! Which firm set your purchase up and are they going to refund you? What a fraudulent case of bait and switch.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    Redgap likes this.
  29. Ohkei Dohkei

I don't think it was anything intentional. Just a stroke of bad luck. I just hate after 7 months of waiting for the right one, it turned out not to be.

30. matt167

matt167 Active Member

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
    cmoore likes this.