1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

newb in phoenix, az. haven't a clue what i have...

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by arizonaminicab, Mar 16, 2011.

1. arizonaminicab

arizonaminicab New Member

Hey,
    bought this minicab today, i don't know what motor it has, i don't know if it's 2wd or 4wd, i don't know...anything about it, don't know the year, etc...

this is what i know:
    DESCRIPTION: Mitsubishi truck with flat bed, model 414
    EXTRA: non runner
    COLOR: white
    VIN: VNTOHFML2M

i've seen 5-10 of these over the years at auction and today i just decided i was going to buy it. if i like it, i'll buy them all and stock some parts...we'll see how it goes.

anyone have any info they can add about it from the above?
    p.s. the above "info" is what the auction listed.

it is from a bankrupt landscaping company, i don't know if it crapped out and they left it or if it's just been sitting..we shall see when i pick it up tomorrow.

Attached Files:

• mc1.jpg
      mc1.jpg
      File size:
      94.2 KB
      Views:
    • mc2.jpg
      mc2.jpg
      File size:
      87.9 KB
      Views:
    • mc3.jpg
      mc3.jpg
      File size:
      95.2 KB
      Views:
  2. starpuss

starpuss Member

man.. looks like it needs LOTS of TLC i sure hope you did not pay over $1500 for it.

3. arizonaminicab

yes it does look to need a bit of work....i paid 1/3 of that. i wouldn't pay 1500 for great one personally... i barely paid 1500 for my 6x6

Attached Files:

4. greg0187

greg0187 Moderator Staff Member

Axtually I don't think its looks all that bad. Welcome to the site!

5. arizonaminicab

i think it'll clean up nicely....should know by tomorrow afternoon.

6. arizonaminicab

just got it home, going to clean it up and will post some pics later. it does need some work though.... seats ASAP, but engine looks complete from what i can see, need to take the steam roller out of the bed of it so i can take that access hatch off and get it to go vroom.

7. arizonaminicab

well unfortunately it looks like the motor is seized up... why? unknown at the moment...to hot out, needed to take a break.

8. arizonaminicab

pulled the motor/trans, took a whole hour! considering i've never touched one of these trucks before i'm quite pleased with how easy they are to tear apart. however water came out of the exhaust manifold when i separated the exhaust so, i'm not expecting to find anything good about the inside of the motor when i crack it open.

Attached Files:

9. Dan

Dan Member

Welcome! another lefty!!

what you've got is an americanized version that had a short run here through the mid 90's Its a Mighty Mits 550cc model # u14t 2 wheel drive. give a shout out when you need a hand. there are a few of us here with all of the shop manuals for this one...

Dan

10. arizonaminicab

yeah i've learned a bit about it since i tore it down.

it is a 1987 apparently, it has a 3G81 single carb. 2wd as you said. it has a 3spd manual transmission.

the cylinders were full of water....one valve is stuck, the pistons are frozen. the oil is clean and i believe this is the result of rain water, Not a blown headgasket, but i do not know for sure. i cleaned it all out really well and put some marvel mystery oil on the valve and pistons...hopefully it'll work it's magic and i can get away with a light honing and a major cleaning.

Attached Files:

11. arizonaminicab

got the stuck valve...unstuck. but thus far no luck with the stuck piston/s.

12. Socal Sonny

Socal Sonny Member

damn.. i would through that engine away and do a custom swap.. but thats just me, im more of a daihatsu guy anyways.
    Goodluck

13. arizonaminicab

issue with that idea is i'm not that dedicated to the minitruck 'thing'...it'd be a neat toy but i don't have the time to dedicate to a custom motor project. though i had thought about a subaru boxer motor...would fit pretty well.

14. arizonaminicab

i got the motor free'd up this morning with a little effort (don't ask...included a sledge hammer, rubber mallet, some wet sandpaper, some dry 120grit, some marvel mystery oil and some aide from the starter)

Anyways, can anyone assist me in how to line up the timing marks from the crank/cam/oil pump on the 3G81 to put the timing belt back on?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  15. Dan

Dan Member

16. arizonaminicab

thx, going to put it back together tomorrow and do a clt and compression test...see where it stands.

17. Dan

Dan Member

18. zardoz

zardoz Member

wow really?

Hey Greg... if ya like this one... wanna buy my old Ford Festiva? ;)

z

19. arizonaminicab

slight difference between a minicab which is a unique toy, and a festiva (which...i'd be embarrassed to own.)

i reassembled the motor, cylinder 1 has 130psi, cylinder 3 has 90psi....quite a difference but still runnable but cylinder 2 has 20psi (the most damaged one)....so i'm going to toss it in, maybe if i can get it running for a bit, maybe the rings will seat a bit better....can only try as i have no intention of rebuilding this motor beyond what i've done.

20. arizonaminicab

well put the motor back in and got it running, runs pretty smooth too...smokes a bit (though i'm not surprised). however the radiator appears to be clogged pretty badly aswell...so i only ran it for about 20 seconds.

21. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

its a bit late but i heard that diesel works good to unstick pistons.

22. arizonaminicab

i've had good luck with marvel mystery oil over the years...and had a bottle laying around from the last time i tried it (years ago) so it worked out, but i'll keep diesel in mind in the future.

23. fupabox

fupabox Well-Known Member

Haven't used MMO in a while..it's tough to find now...great for stuck lifters/rings...

24. arizonaminicab

well, it starts up now and runs decent but smokes (could be due to all the oil and crap i put in the cylinders? could be rings...maybe they'll seat better after running...maybe headgasket? though i find that unlikely since it has no water in the cooling system. radiator won't take coolant, appears to be clogged up pretty good....

decided to put it up for sale locally for what i paid ($550) and just move on, the wife keeps complaining about it in the back yard and i bought a harley project that i'm more interested in.

if this would have ran/drove without all the work i had to put in to it...i probably would have gotten it street legal and be using it right now as a work truck :( such is life, maybe the next one.

Attached Files:

25. Stuff99

Stuff99 Moderator Staff Member

I let Dan know about this. maybe he can put it to use.

26. Krazy Ken

Krazy Ken New Member

I just stumbled upon this thread and reconized this lefty as being the one i got. Very funny to see someone else had it here on the forumn before me. It has come a long way but still has problems. The water leak came from a leak in the intake gasket. I already replaced the radiator, cleaned it up, got new tires and made a custom 3" lift kit. I did the head gasket and intake but have not done the valve seals which dan suggested next. Ill see if i get enough motivation to work on it today. Looks like ill be rebuilding the bottom end and re-ringing it after seeing those pictures. It did'nt look half that bad when i took it apart. Ill get some updated pictures.

27. Krazy Ken

Krazy Ken New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The first day I brought it home with the ugly stickers and mismatched tires.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The new radiator and custom fan shroud I made.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The cylinders where a lot cleaner than the pictures posted above but still very dirty.
    [​IMG]
    How she stands now after the new tires and lift kit I fabricated up, It still needs some engine work and to be reupholstered.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2011
  28. arizonaminicab

the guys who bought it from Me, towed it away on a tow dolly! lol... that scared me but, it was out of my hair. hopefully they were honest with you.

29. Krazy Ken

Krazy Ken New Member

They were pretty much a bunch of idiots. They somehow managed to chip the windshield and break off the turn signal lever unless that's how you bought it. What all did you do to it while you had it?

30. Krazy Ken

Krazy Ken New Member

It looked like someone had taken out the thermostat but until this morning when I found this thread I couldn't tell anyone had ever been in the motor so you did a pretty good job. I laughed when I saw that blue cup in your pictures because I still use that to hold the misc. fasteners.