1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New York State and Mini trucks

Discussion in 'Suzuki Carry' started by H Privetts, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Codemonkey3

Codemonkey3 New Member

So the only thing I think I'm really caught up on are;
    Fees. How do I calculate the fees I gotta send on the check? They link me to some page that has renewal fees and doesn't even tell me who to write the check too. Asks me something about NADA value which kei cars are not gonna be on.. do I just use the value of the truck or like use the Suzuki Samurai?

Also the form asks for a Vermont Driver's License # do I just send a NY number or leave it blank?

2. H Privetts

H Privetts Member

I sent the Bill of Sale, copy of my all my paperwork, vin verification copy of my license. You should have a NY form for tax’s paid, copy of that. Fee’s are based on weight I believe

3. H Privetts

H Privetts Member

Sorry, had to go back and read your note again, checks are made to Vermont DMV . As for vehicle type, if you change the information about the truck, they will change it back to what the Vin says it is

4. Bry899

Bry899 New Member

I assumed that there shouldn't be an issue driving in other states, Except maybe interstates, was curious of what other Mini truck owners thought and had experienced.
    I guess the worst case scenario would be a ticket and possibly having the truck towed back to our campground, Or just pick it up with the motorhome.
    Has the local or NYS state police pulled over any of the Vermont registered mini truck owners. live on Long Island and haven't seen any on the road.
    Thanks

5. H Privetts

H Privetts Member

I haven’t ever heard anything about that in NY

6. Bry899

Bry899 New Member

OK Thanks, I guess I worry too much.

7. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

Yay , the government shit show at its best .
    If you can insurance for it , ( they’re the ones sticking their peckers out to cover it ) why does the state give a damn . You pay them their taxes on it When bought and get their cut every year from the registration . :rolleyes:

8. H Privetts

H Privetts Member

Hey Kof, just saw your note, I don’t know man, I’m like everyone else, i researched, read laws, made phone calls, talked to troopers, chief of police, it’s funny, you ask the right questions and you get this dumb look on their face, like, what? It’s funny, well, I know that the state won’t get anything out of me, I’ll pay what I have to and that’s all, have a good night.

9. Codemonkey3

Codemonkey3 New Member

H Privetts, out of curiosity where is your truck insured. Vermont or your home state?

Trying to wrap my head around that. Plates and registration are in a different state so should it have that states insurance or have insurance in the state it's driven in?

10. H Privetts

H Privetts Member

Hey buddy, i was just sitting here at the computer looking at other state laws and ny laws. to big for me

ok, i use Hagerty Insurance, have used them on several vehicles through the years
    my veh, is Registered in Vermont, It is insured in Vermont, with Hagerty, I used my New York address,
    It is my understanding that if you get Antique plates, you don't have to have it inspected, and to prove
    that i did what the state told me, I took my truck to Brattleboro, VT, for inspection, they did not want to
    inspect it, they, the manager at the station, said it didnt need an inspection, but, he pulled some book of rules
    out for Vermont, and looked, could not find anything in it that stated an Antique truck needs inspected.
    but he did anyways, passed, it has been a blast to work on my truck and to drive it around town, even at 69 years old
    i still hotrod a LOT, I just finished making a cover for the back end, not perfect but it works.. have a good day my friend

11. H Privetts

H Privetts Member

NY state has a law that says, if you live in New York state, or move to the state, you have 60 days to transfer
    your drivers license, and change your vehicle's registration over to New York state. A local police officer that I
    am friends with, said he would not stop me, and most of the local police that i have been seen by, I know this because
    I caught them looking, didn't seem to care, they see an out of state plate, as long as it is legal with the 2022 sticker on the plate, they don't care. I would like to say that I took my truck to Vermont to prove a point, and to see first hand how the system worked, point is, they could care less..

12. H Privetts

H Privetts Member

upload_2020-10-2_14-41-39.png

my little truck

13. matt167

matt167 Active Member

NYS min insurance protection is higher than in VT so NYS insurance will be good enough BUT VT would be cheaper.

In my area a lot of people have Vermont plates. It's a non issue here

14. H Privetts

H Privetts Member

If you register your vehicle in New York, you have to have New York insurance, Vermont, Vermont insurance, etc, etc,

15. matt167

matt167 Active Member

technically yes, however Vermont requires no proof of insurance, they just state you need it in the bylaws . You can obtain insurance from a NYS agent and it would cover... You could not cover a NYS vehicle with Vermont insurance since NYS requires insurance for registration... OR you could just tell your insurance agent that the vehicle is titled in Vermont and they could put it through most likely, if you are that worried about it

16. H Privetts

H Privetts Member

Oh I’m not worried, my truck is registered and insured and inspected in Vermont, and I live in upstate NY.

17. matt167

matt167 Active Member

you don't have to worry about driving to VT to get it inspected. NYS or any other state has the authority to do an inspection on VT's behalf, or the other way around.. It's a loophole often used by New Jersey residents because NYS inspection is less strict than NJ

18. Koffer

Koffer Active Member

Maybe years ago but NJ inspection is more or less this side of worthless .
    No safety and if 1995 or older no smog so 1995 or older no inspection needed , and 1996 is just s plug in OBD II smog test. No brakes,no windshield,no seatbelts, no problem you get a sticker cause your check engine light is off and it passes the readiness test

19. Timothy Allen

Timothy Allen New Member

Can you use a NY State address to mail from and receive plates ?

H Privetts likes this.
  20. Timothy Allen

Timothy Allen New Member

I just got rejected by NYS DMV for my Hijet. Could you posibly furnish me with exact details, step by step, on how to register in Vermont *please*? Thank You.

H Privetts likes this.
  21. matt167

matt167 Active Member

22. H Privetts

H Privetts Member

Hey everybody, just logged on, saw this and want to thank Matt167, for being on the ball. Thanks dude

23. H Privetts

H Privetts Member

Wanted to tell everyone about my day today, I took my Suzuki Carry out for a ride, got gas and thought i would drive down town. Nice Cool day, finished my ride on the way home, low and behold a police officer got behind me with my Vermont Plates, nine block later, he turned and was gone. I will admit I was a bit worried, but had all my ducks in the glove box, very cool. I made it home no problems, had to take a heart pill, LOLOLOLOLOLO

Weekendmedic likes this.
  24. H Privetts

H Privetts Member

Hi Tim, was reading your question, I hope you were able to get what you needed. please let us know how you did.
    If you need any more info, just ask, we are all here to help. good luck

25. H Privetts

H Privetts Member

yes you can, they will most likely send you Antique plates. and with Antique plates, don't worry about inspections

26. matt167

matt167 Active Member

you have to specify antique plates with the plate type number your requesting. No reason not to do antique plates anyway as it's $26 vs like $75 for regular

27. H Privetts

H Privetts Member

Hello everyone, How is the world doing this fine day??? Never mind, I was pretending to be funny..LOLOLO.
    I hope everyone out there is doing fine. Did everyone get their shot, shots? I finally got my shots, first one was great, no problems, second one put in bed for a day, arm still hurts, not really, just looking for those aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh's.
    I just wanted to say hello, and check in, please, be safe out there, for those of you in a uniform, please be extra careful.
    As for the rest of the world, lets get the mini's cleaned up, charge up the battery , check the tire pressure, check the oil, antifreeze, check the lights, and pick a day to RUMBLEEEEE.

28. packrat

packrat Member

haha, try driving an Ontario licensed mini across the border into the States. I pulled up, rolled down my LH window from the right side, border gaurd says "why are you driving a right hand drive vehicle?" I replied, "because I can?" It went downhill from there, but after 30 minutes I drove into New York State. No problem going back into Canada a couple hours later. I now get stopped every time I take it across

Weekendmedic likes this.
  29. Brian Johnston

Brian Johnston New Member

Been following this thread for a bit and am thinking of going the VT route now in April 2021. Question about NYS (where I am), has anyone thought of registering as a commercial vehicle? Or for Farm/Agricultural use? I want to give NY a shot but if they turn me down am I screwed and not able to then try to register in VT?

30. Lynx

Lynx New Member

Lil update. After driving with VT plates for 9 months my insurance was up (here in NY). So I paid up for another year and came across,)I think in NY DMV) that I had something like 3 month register the vehicle.
    So I went to a friends shop and got a NY state inspection. Grabbed the VT Reggie,insurance and off to the DMV.
    Well ... I had to Return after emailing the bill if sale that I didn’t have on me. But I got home with plates and a NY Title last week.
    Been 3 months with no ptoblems yet.
    Don’t know if it was just luck. I guess I could get a call from the dmv anytime for me to return the plates..
    I heard Vermont is getting tough on the Keri trucks. I think as Matt(?) mentioned to register as a car helped. As with having a NY inspection.
    My story was, when asked why I had Vermont plates was I intended to move there but the pandemic messed everything up.
    they asked if I wanted to register it as a Swift or Samurai.
    I choose Swift.
    I've passed police on numerous occasions and so far.... (^ω^)..٩(^‿^)۶

軽トラ   最高 っす

wish all the best of luck

ps if you have an iPhone and set it up so you can type Japanese and put kei tolakku the following should show with 絵文字(emoji)
    軽トラック