1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New York State and Mini trucks

Discussion in 'News and Site Support' started by H Privetts, Jan 4, 2020.

  1. mr.mindless

    mr.mindless Member

    Almost none of that is true unless things have changed since July. As I said, the ONE thing I don't know about is anything kei specific.
    Pennington County redid their website, and no longer has the out of state registration page on the treasurer's site that I was going to link, so perhaps something did change. Spend 15 minutes on the phone and check with them. I can also personally assure you that they have a very straightforward procedure for changing title to a motorhome.

    It's not okay in the eyes of NY (nor most any other state) since when you live here, vehicles you own must be registered here. SD doesn't care the address of the registrant. And they have no inspections.
  2. Lynx

    Lynx New Member

    I tried the tech number they have me but never had the time to wait my turn.
    Thinking of the option of registering as a slow moving vehicle.
    They regulate that pretty well though.
    Read you need some certificate of sorts from the manufacture. They raised the speed limit though....
    Also would it loose its value if I was to sell it to someone out of state that would want to drive it on road as a regular vehicle...?
    Still got some japanese gas in there. Shiii..
  3. matt167

    matt167 Active Member

    Montana is where everyone with supercars gets their vehicles registered. Not sure about JDM'S but their licensing is pretty leniant
  4. mr.mindless

    mr.mindless Member

    MT does require a local agent or mail forwarder, can't deal with their DMV direct as a nonresident like in SD
  5. Neilo

    Neilo New Member

    I'm in VT and have spoken with several people at the DMV. The lowest level gave me attitude, the higher ups said "Sure, what's the problem? Inspection might be a hassle, but that's not our dept."

    I still haven't registered the minitruck, but having registered all my rigs in VT for the past 40 years, here's what I've needed: Driver's license, money to pay the 6% use tax (sales tax) for rigs bought or brought in from out-of-state. A Bill of Sale. No title is required for anything older than ten years old. And a check, of course. :)

    Reg. fee runs about $60/year, slight discount for 2 year reg, easy renewal by mail. Offices are closed to walk-ins now, but they're open for mail registrations/renewals and phone calls. PITA for this particular problem, because they reject the application if you get one single thing wrong, and they don't tell you what it is. :-(

    Good Luck!
  6. Lynx

    Lynx New Member

    I Got through to an operator in Vermont DMV. He said kei truck are a no go in Vt.
    Also a reply from Albany:
    Peter B. Bernagozzi v. Mark J. F. Schroeder, Index No. 929-20, venued in Albany County Supreme Court.
    Is the the case with kei trucks and NY DMV.
    I tried to find the case with no luck.
    I didn't try much though.
  7. matt167

    matt167 Active Member

    You confuse people when you call it a Kei truck... It is a federally exempted imported motor vehicle. Vermont will probably push a registration out if you send it in with enough money on the purchase price ( tax revenue ) because that is what they do.

    NY just uses a BS clause to block them, but trucks still get through the system. Depends on who is on the desk in Albany that day
  8. Jigs-n-fixtures

    Jigs-n-fixtures Active Member

    A lot of the States wrote codes to explicitly disallow the title of, and licensure of the “Japanese Mini Trucks”, back in the 80s when various manufacturers were importing them as off highway vehicles, for landscape crews and similar onsite uses.

    To avoid the cost of having them smog certified, they imported them as off-highway vehicles which by Federal law, Had to be limited to 25-mph maximum speed. And, they really weren’t safe to drive on the street. In the mid to late eighties, they quit importing them.

    Now, we are trying to import vehicles designed for on roadway use, as used vehicle older than twenty-five years, which in most States would qualify them for collector plates.

    But the explicit restrictions for “Japanese Mini Trucks” remain on the books. and, legally in most states the newer imports can’t be licensed even though they are old enough to be exempt from all of the federal requirements.

    I’m in Idaho. I can’t title or license my 94-Hijet Truck. But I coul license a 94 Hijet Van. because the Van doesn’t meet the physical description of a mini truck enshrined in the law.

    I have Off Highway Vehicle plates on my truck, and the state law allows me to run it on any roadway, that isn’t a federal aid, state highway. I run all over town, and out to the woods with it. I ran out the State highway to the county dump last weekend with a 8-ft utility trailer full of trash. I had my rear light bar in flash mode, because I could only get up to 55 in the 65-mph zone. Highway patrol followed me to the turn off to the dump and pulled me over. Thought I was in trouble. Nope, he just wanted to check out the truck, and say thanks for driving safe.
  9. matt167

    matt167 Active Member

    I've written on this in detail in the past.... The "Mini Truck Laws" are assigned to trucks imported for farm or low speed use. When you import it as a road vehicle legally, it does not apply to those laws. The hangup happens when a DMV interprets it incorrectly and you may or may not hit a road block there with it... Now if you can pass it through another state willing to title it ( Vermont ), then they should accept it free and clear..

    See on paper, the Vans and trucks will look exactly the same, you either tell them you have a "Mini Truck" or there is a pre vehicle inspection.

Share This Page